Dark Lord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyAnchovy

Reaction score
Dark Lord has been popping up on ebay lately for even more stupid prices than in the past: http://cgi.ebay.com/3-4-Dark-Lord-Limited-...s-/120719961392

I think the $50 that the brewery charges is reasonable, especially considering the demand, but honestly who would pay the 200-600 that they are coming up for on ebay? I suspect the $3000 link above was someone taking the piss, but who knows?

I thought you couldn't sell grog on ebay

I thought you couldn't sell grog on ebay

You can, you need a liquor license though. Thats in Australia. Who knows in the States. You can buy grog everywhere.... Thats why I loved it so much :D

They get around it by claiming they are selling the bottle for collectors, the alcohol it contains is just incidental....

You don't need ebay in the states, they flog 2.5 litre bottles of pure grog for $14 over there in your local chemist store or 7-11 :p

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I don't think they're subject to much scrutiny in the States. I was at Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa about a month back and got chatting to the brewers Mrs. She said that their limited release Pliny the Younger turned up for sale in a bottle on ebay. It's only sold in very limited release in kegs - so someone bought a pint, bottled it and then put it up for auction. Needless to say, everyone at the brewery was pretty dismayed.

If you bought any of that stuff you really wouldn't know what you were getting.

on the other hand, there is SO MUCH amazingly good, amazingly cheap beer in the states. Who would pay $600+ when you can get amazing craft beers for less than 1/2 the price they are in Australia?

I went on a 3 week craft beer tour of the West Coast, from Seattle to San Diego. I'd hazard a guess that the total amount of money I spent on beer was about $600 dollars (not counting the 30 beers I bought home). Very few beers were more than $5 for a pint. I drank every night bar 2 and I very rarely drank the same beer twice. I drank a lot of beer, even for my standards. The quality of the beer was amazing.

I've always loved my quality booze, be it wine, single malt, cognac or champagne but they are all expensive. Value for money, craft beer in the USA is way beyond best bang for your buck.

Paying $600 for a bottle of one of their beers is just nuts. I'd rather get a stainless steel conical fermenter and then clone the beer.

Latest posts

Back