Dark Braggot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yum! Dark mead!
Why didn't I notice this thread earlier on!? (wasn't in the country...)

If it's anything like Thorgoods Dark Cider Beer, it should be awesome. Even though it was a cider based beer, it still had an awesome rich dark chocolate, roast malt character underneath the tart farmhouse cider taste.
Is the honey detectable?

lightly in the back ground is the blood wood honey. just as i wanted it. you have had my normal braggot this is very similar but with the dark and chocolate notes.
ill bring a bottle to the xmas swap if its ready by then.

You are making me thirsty barls :) Good work!

I have my main 40 litres of Mead ageing out in room temperature at the moment and TempMate tied up in Sake rice production and dwindling supplies of my last beer I made :eek: so I need to get my second TempMate up and running soon.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

thats what i intended to to mate. you definitely should get the other one running, ive got 3 going.

I use a case from Bunnings and my local is all out of non-destroyed or defective made cases. They only have ones left with broken glue joints or large gaps in the joints.

This weekend I might head out on a tip to finding some proper Pizza Flour so I will be close enough to drive another 10 minutes from there to get to a second Bunnings. Fingers crossed I'll get the second TempMate running end of this up coming weekend.

I'm starting to get a need to do something more advanced than TempMate in its current form. A programmed fermentation with different set points and a smoothed curve between the points to design a perfect incubation environment. If TempMate MkII doesn't come out I'll have to get out my embedded micro-controller book and start programming my own embedded CPUs to run my own version of a TempMate but with full programmable option available along with the super simple dumb option that TempMate has as its only function.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

opened a bottle the other night, even as a young braggot. its smooth. the choc note it has dropped off a bit now. this is really going to age up nicely.
i just acquired another 4kg of blood wood honey to remake this one.

Top job, I need to get a weekend free and build up a list of this years meads and get cracking. Braggot is one for sure :)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

im happy to swap a bottle of both braggots i make for a couple of meads pete if your interested

The canberra brewers drank all my current stock of mead :)

I'll be making more but can swap in future for sure!

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

not a problem mate, i keep mine hidden so the isb boys havent found them yet. let me know when your ready and we can do it.

hehe

Mead does not last long around brew clubs :D

Been doing lots of croatian fruit mixes, the sour cherry one is yum. Wondering if I could incorporate some of those if I can not source some fruit.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Some trivia for you - The middle Sunday in lent (last Sunday) used to be known as Braggot Sunday in Wales around the late 1600s. Your opening of a bottle was very timely.

Apparently the word Braggot is derived from two welsh words - Brag (malt) and Gots (honeycomb).

There you go.

can i get a bit of feed back from the boy and girls that were at the special case swap as to this braggot

Yeah, why so much choc chit. :ph34r:

Only joking. The chocolate flavours worked well with the honey. It probably did because the honey had a strong aroma. Very drinkable, especially on a night like tonight. :beerbang:

cheers stu, i might bring out a bottle at the xmas in july swap if they are lucky.
i agree with the drinkability of this it definitely doesnt seem that strong. but give me a weekend and ill give that a damn good try.

can i get a bit of feed back from the boy and girls that were at the special case swap as to this braggot

Cant really give much critical feedback as its a long way from anything Ive experienced. All I know, it was delicious. Couldnt really pick the strength. Thought it had a very nice balance of honey and malt flavours.

cheers
Andrew

Back