Danstar Nottingham Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I use this yeast quite a bit,it's very good in an Alt .

If you read the directions you pitch a fairly large amount of the yeast and don't have to airate the wort.
Well brew day yesterday I did a 60lt Alt , I decieded to try airating the crap out of the wort (I have an airstone fitted after the chiller)
then pitched a third of the recommended amount of yeast.
It was away within an a hour of pitching and this morning it was climbing out of the airlock,really going off azz I have never had it so lively before.

Maybe of interest to those using this yeast.

Batz

Tis a nice yeast indeed - use it often. Never had it climbing out of the fermenter though :blink:
Cheers
Steve

Tis a nice yeast indeed - use it often. Never had it climbing out of the fermenter though :blink:
Cheers
Steve

Can't even keep an airlock in there at the moment Steve :huh:

And there's plenty of head room in the fermenter too

Batz

What temp is it sitting at?

crikey, good job you only pitched a third then :blink:

Just started aerating my wort as well - I'm amazed at the difference it's made to the yeast firing. I thought my splashing during transfer was good enough - apparently not :)

cheers Ross

I've airated for ages,but no for Nottingham as it said it was not required

Batz

I should have clarified - using "dried yeasts" where I was under the impression that the aerating wasn't required, like yourself. I guess it probably isn't required, but it certainly improves the kick off :)

cheers Ross

I use this yeast quite a bit,it's very good in an Alt .

If you read the directions you pitch a fairly large amount of the yeast and don't have to airate the wort.
Well brew day yesterday I did a 60lt Alt , I decieded to try airating the crap out of the wort (I have an airstone fitted after the chiller)
then pitched a third of the recommended amount of yeast.
It was away within an a hour of pitching and this morning it was climbing out of the airlock,really going off azz I have never had it so lively before.

Maybe of interest to those using this yeast.

Batz
I also use this yeast and have starting using an air stone in higher OG worts like the one I did last week which also crawled out of the fermenter , the same happened with the Wyeast 3787 Trappist after using the air stone .
Yesterday I did pitched half Nottingham half SafAle US 56, no air stone just a lot of splassing, and it is also going strong at 16c [we are home/craft brewers we CAN and Do try things like mixing yeasts for the hell of it :p] .
Nottingham is the firmest setting dry yeast I have used.

When you say you pitched a third the amount, I am guessing that you made a starter 1/3 the size you would normally pitch?

Also for the aeration, did you aerate with oxygen or air?

I have not used dry yeast since my kit/plastic bucket days, but the price is hard to go past and the range is improving, so I just may have to look at them again.

I always use a starter and aerate with air, but for at least 20 minutes.

When you say you pitched a third the amount, I am guessing that you made a starter 1/3 the size you would normally pitch?

I have not used dry yeast since my kit/plastic bucket days, but the price is hard to go past and the range is improving, so I just may have to look at them again.

I airate with air,an aquarium pump but a big mother of a pump.
Yes 1/3 of the recommended pitching rate.
Nottingham is the only dry yeast I use,I will be giving US56 a blast,just ordered some from Ross.

Batz

Hi Batz,

Would be very interested to see how your terminal gravity goes with the underpitched Nottingham. We have recently seen some problems with this approach where the yeast goes berserk and trys to climb out of the fermenter but then pulls up around 1018 to 1020.

cheers,

Wes

I airate with air,an aquarium pump but a big mother of a pump.
Yes 1/3 of the recommended pitching rate.
Nottingham is the only dry yeast I use,I will be giving US56 a blast,just ordered some from Ross.

Batz

Batz - the US56 is sensational. I would say I use it in 90% of my brews from stouts, heavy ales through to APAs. Top yeast - have always got a stash of this in the fridge.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Batz,

Would be very interested to see how your terminal gravity goes with the underpitched Nottingham. We have recently seen some problems with this approach where the yeast goes berserk and trys to climb out of the fermenter but then pulls up around 1018 to 1020.

cheers,

Wes

Look how quick Batz can go from smiling to worried :eek:

Cheers for that Wes,I'll let you know the results

Batz

Hi Batz,

cheers,

Wes

Look how quick Batz can go from smiling to worried :eek:

Cheers for that Wes,I'll let you know the results

Batz
Don't worry Batz, I have had the Nottingham slow up but not pull up around 1020 [the same for two days :( ]but did drop very slow and close to the expected FG when racked to 2ndry, but I have had the US 56 pull up and stop after a very strong ferment and racking and time in 2nd did not get it any lower.
US 56 and Nottingham are my first chioce in dry ale yeast, but for me Nottingham has the edge
IMOP for what it's worth :p
Ready to be attacked by the US 56 troops.

[/quote]
Don't worry Batz, I have had the Nottingham slow up but not pull up around 1020 [the same for two days :( ]but did drop very slow and close to the expected FG when racked to 2ndry, but I have had the US 56 pull up and stop after a very strong ferment and racking and time in 2nd did not get it any lower.
US 56 and Nottingham are my first chioce in dry ale yeast, but for me Nottingham has the edge
IMOP for what it's worth :p
Ready to be attacked by the US 56 troops.
[/quote]

Thats ok Bindi - the US 56th Infantry are very democractic! Each to their own :beer:
Cheers
Steve

We've had a couple of reports of under-attenuation with Nottingham in our club. People who have made beers which ended up at 1.020 and would not attenuate any further.

My experience with Nottingham has always been that it is very attenuative, to the point that I mash a little higher or use more crystal or carapils when using it.

For getting a well behaved bottle sediment it can't be beaten.

Got to agree with Colin, I used Nottingham in my English Ordinary, trying to make a drinkable beer in a week. Was finished fermenting by day 3, attenuated very well, I did aerate using my Craftbrewer pump and used a whole 23gm pack. The yeast cake looked quite compact and as this yeast is reported to drop out well I didn't bother racking but put it straight in to the keg. Turned out a very nice beer. The other half of this batch was fermented with US56 by my brew buddy and I'm keen to taste the differences.

Haven't seen this yeast anywhere over in WA? Where is the best place to get some. Sometimes I just can't be bothered making a starter so a good dry ale yeast would be good.

Back