Danstar Nottingham Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to agree with Colin, I used Nottingham in my English Ordinary, trying to make a drinkable beer in a week. Was finished fermenting by day 3, attenuated very well, I did aerate using my Craftbrewer pump and used a whole 23gm pack. The yeast cake looked quite compact and as this yeast is reported to drop out well I didn't bother racking but put it straight in to the keg. Turned out a very nice beer. The other half of this batch was fermented with US56 by my brew buddy and I'm keen to taste the differences.
Despite some claims I've seen that aeration with dried yeast is unnecessary, my expreicne has been that aeration makes a big difference even with dried yeasts. I have definitely been getting better ferments since I started using the Drill 'n' Spoon aerator (plastic spoon in a cheap power drill from bunnings).

My one beef with both Nottingham and Safale S-04 is that they flocculate so tightly that it can be quite difficult harvesting the yeast. I've had a bottled Safale S-04 cake which literally would not come out of the bottle when I tried to re-pitch it. Ended up smacking the bottle like a nearly empty tomato sauce bottle.

Thanks batz, may wait for Craftbrewer tp get it in.

Got to agree with Colin, I used Nottingham in my English Ordinary, trying to make a drinkable beer in a week. Was finished fermenting by day 3, attenuated very well, I did aerate using my Craftbrewer pump and used a whole 23gm pack. The yeast cake looked quite compact and as this yeast is reported to drop out well I didn't bother racking but put it straight in to the keg. Turned out a very nice beer. The other half of this batch was fermented with US56 by my brew buddy and I'm keen to taste the differences.

Any info/feedback yet Mike?

Any info/feedback yet Mike?

Brauluver
The 56 enhanced the bitterness and the hops as expected, but I didn't realise to what degree this would be. The 56 beer tasted a lot more bitter. The Nottingham had a smooth roundness and let the malt through a bit more. It also tasted better at "cellar" temperature and the Nottingham dropped out better and really stuck to the bottom of the bottle which poured clear right to the end. Both turned out a fairly clean beer but in this case I preffered the Notingham.

Thanks for taking the time to reply mike ;)

It looks like the nottingham is going to get a guernsey in the B"luver's mini Micro brewery in the near future then.US 56 has served me well but I'm always lookin to expriment.

Haven't seen this yeast anywhere over in WA? Where is the best place to get some. Sometimes I just can't be bothered making a starter so a good dry ale yeast would be good.

West Brew will be stocking Nottingham yeast in the near future. Will update with exact date when we know it.

'ello West Brew,
as you are a commercial entity, please alter your profile.
Mods please note.

Shame i didnt come across this post before going to one of there shops today and asking about Nottingham.Well least i got a good answer about its arrival so walked out with a few packs of us-56 and s04 to tied me over till i restock on liquid yeastys

Cheers
Big D

i'm fermenting a 'bright' ale at the moment with nottingham, first use of this strain. took 36 hours to take off @ 16*C. which for me is a bit slower than US56.
looking forward to tasting the results

i'm brewing a 'bright' ale at the moment with nottingham, first use of this strain. took 36 hours to take off @ 16*C. which for me is a bit slower than US56.
looking forward to tasting the results

Will be interested in your comments Kong - I've gone off this yeast in in lighter styles, leaves a dusty taste to my pallette. Works great in an alt & dark beers & would probably go well in a high hopped beer. I used at low temps for a pseudo lager & it was no where near clean enough.

cheers Ross

Good old US56. Until I used this stuff I was totally "anti" dried yeast. Done a couple of batches with US56 lately and reckon it's fantastic. My current stout would have to be close to the cleanest beer I've made. Also did a summer ale with it recently with a huge late addition of Hallertau. Was almost like drinking a lager the flavour was that crisp. :beerbang:

I'd still like to give Nottingham a go up the track though. :)

Warren -

Will be interested in your comments Kong - I've gone off this yeast in in lighter styles, leaves a dusty taste to my pallette. Works great in an alt & dark beers & would probably go well in a high hopped beer. I used at low temps for a pseudo lager & it was no where near clean enough.

cheers Ross

Bummer i'd read it was a fairly clean neutral yeast, so just thought i'd give it a go at the last moment..
if it tatses 'dusty' when i rack it, i'll up the dry hopping.. :lol:

I get the same 'dustiness' in the beers at the Lord Nelson, which is what make me hesitant to use this yeast.

I have a pack of Nottingham in the fridge but cant decide what to use it for - might try it on the ND Pale Ale i have waiting in a NC cube.

My current APA that I pitched with 20g started at 1.054 and has finished at 1.008 :blink: Fermented between 16-17C as normal and this is the greatest attenuation I have gotten from Nottingham. Not really happy about it, was hopping for about 1.012 :(

My current APA that I pitched with 20g started at 1.054 and has finished at 1.008 :blink: Fermented between 16-17C as normal and this is the greatest attenuation I have gotten from Nottingham. Not really happy about it, was hopping for about 1.012 :(

Huh :unsure: am I missing something here? :blink:

Back