Danstar Munich Dried Wheat Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did the sparge go on this one? Looks like the sort of mash that would haunt your dreams!

a little slow but nothing major, i've done a 45% Rye with no problems, must be the expert design of my manifold ;)

yard

a little slow but nothing major, i've done a 45% Rye with no problems, must be the expert design of my manifold ;)

yard

I hope I'm that lucky with my first foray into rye brewing. Gonna do denny conns rye IPA in a few weeks, hopefully there'll be no dramas...

Got one in the fermenter this morning. Did a double decoction 55->65->70, was about 40% wheat, 58% pils, 2% light crystal. Decoction gave it a really really nice maltiness coming out of the fermenter. Added a bit of CaCl2 and MgSO4 to it, hit 85% efficiency which is a record on the new mashtun. Sparge a little slow but not stuck at any point. Bittered with Tomahawk to 10 IBU - not expecting any hop flavour to show through so thought i'd use some up.

Sprinkled yeast on and got blowoff tube ready - i'm expecting one hell of a krausen when i get home

I think I'll have to look into these rice gulls :p I hear so much about before I do another wheat.

Yes, the rice gulls will fly around your brewery, attracted to the smell of mashing grains. You can catch them with a large prawn net, and you just stuff them into the mash whole. Works a treat! :D

Sorry Lucas, clearly I'm a bit bored today.

http://www.lallemand.com/Brewing/eng/PDFs/...h%20Aug2007.pdf

Being lazy by nature I find myself leaning more and more to dried yeasts when I can get away with it. However, DCL's WB-06 dried wheat yeast definitely does not cut the mustard for my tastes; both times I've brewed with it, it's been excessively tart, bready and phenolic. I've also had two or three other wheat beers by fellow homebrewers that I've picked the strain in for the same qualities.

I'd love to hear feedback from any of you guys as you try this yeast, especially those of you who have also used WB-06. Here's hoping it's another dry I can add to my stable.

Just getting slightly back towards the original question posed - has anyone got some more feedback on the flavour profile?

Cheers
Pedro

Got into the hefe on the weekend and I must say Im very happy with the yeast. I get only a little banana, some vanilla and no real bubblegum. But its got a great spicey bite to it, almost peppery and alittle tart which I like.

clay

Got into the hefe on the weekend and I must say Im very happy with the yeast. I get only a little banana, some vanilla and no real bubblegum.

But its got a great spicey bite to it.

clay

i gave the wheat a little nudge on the weekend and the above is exactly what i'm getting from the Munich (fermented @ 22*C), i'm really happy with it, don't think i'll use WB-06 again.

Cheers
Yard

I cracked my keg of Weizen brewed with the Danstar yeast tonight.

ITs been primed and carbing for 3 weeks at 20 odd degrees and chilled overnight,

First glass was 30% yeast and got tipped. (i did rock the keg)

2nd glass was better but very yeasty. ended up getting turfed too

3rd glass........... great. nice cloudiness, slight sweet malt (carahell) and proninent yeat flavours up front.

Aroma of apples, cloves, some bubblegum and bananna ..... overall..... Refreshing aroma.

Flavour is MALT!!!!!!. I decoction mashed it and there is plenty of malt there. It has a deep colour which is what i wanted. Crisp, dry finish. Slight tartness (refreshing) with mild clove and bananna.

Nothing like 3068...... less bananna, spicier and more clove.

A will leave it till the keg is empty before i declare weather i prefer this to 3068...... so far with 24 hers down...........3068 wins but this is getting better by the glass.

cheers

Weizendrydanstar549x824.jpg

^^
one of the best pictures on AHB yet...

mmmmm shame about the noisy background........... but thats my brewing bench :)

cheers

G'day brewers,

Going to give this yeast a go in a weeks time, what mash temps are you using to get the best out of this yeast

Rook

G'day Rook,
Only used this yeast once but really liked it. Mashed at 64*C from memory. Fermented at 20-21*C. Produced a good crisp hefe

clay

G'day Rook,
Only used this yeast once but really liked it. Mashed at 64*C from memory. Fermented at 20-21*C. Produced a good crisp hefe

clay

Thanks clay, you must be the only bloke that has used it :D

rook

Thanks clay, you must be the only bloke that has used it :D

rook

I have used it - and will use it again.

As for a flavour profile - I mashed at 64 (from memory) and fermented at 20 - spice/banana/green apple flavours with a baked bread aroma - very tasty.

Come next wheat beer season (summer) I will attempt a WB-06/Munich double yeast effort. I just think that the Phenols from the WB-06 and the dryer finish (tartness) will make an interesting mix with the sweeter spicier Munich.

Just love that compost orange aroma that WB-06 spits out at 23+

RM

Very happy with flavour profile with Munich yeast mashed at 68 and fermented at 17
Fruity with clove in the finish.

Sounds like an interesting idea to use WB06 and the Munich together

Cheers

the first time I used WB06 I liked it. The following 2 or 3 beers weren't too good. Maybe it has more to do with the brewer than the yeast.

mmmmm shame about the noisy background........... but thats my brewing bench :)

Actually, I think the background is fine. Good work, nice looking beer, and great pic!

Sam

Used this yeast on the weekend in my first weissbier. Pitched at about 6:30pm on Sunday and when I checked it Monday morning there was no airlock activity. But by the time I got home Monday night it was roaring, krausen was within an inch or so of the lid (22L in a 30L fermentor).

Took a gravity reading last night, it's gone from 1.048 to 1.016 in 48hrs, looks like it'll get bottled this weekend. Had a taste of the sample and was very impressed, think this will be one of my best beers yet :super:

Might put a dunkelweizen down straight after using the slurry.

Cheers

Stu

I brewed a hefe on the w/e as well, the nose from it so far is terrific, but its still in the conical so dont know what it looks like, while at high krausen it was creeping out the airlock and I had to put a blow off tube on it, so it was certainly active.

Depending on activity and gravity, I may be able to go straight to a keg tonight for half the batch and carboy for the second half of the batch.

Looking forward to sampling it now!

HHHMMMMMM, i have a keg of wheat beer using this yeast and either i did something wrong or my taste buds are shot to pieces as i get the blandest beer i have ever made using this yeast.....no cloves and no banana at all, whereas when i used the WB06 i got heaps of cloves.

Rook

Back