Danstar Munich Dried Wheat Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
http://www.lallemand.com/Brewing/eng/PDFs/...h%20Aug2007.pdf

Being lazy by nature I find myself leaning more and more to dried yeasts when I can get away with it. However, DCL's WB-06 dried wheat yeast definitely does not cut the mustard for my tastes; both times I've brewed with it, it's been excessively tart, bready and phenolic. I've also had two or three other wheat beers by fellow homebrewers that I've picked the strain in for the same qualities.

I'd love to hear feedback from any of you guys as you try this yeast, especially those of you who have also used WB-06. Here's hoping it's another dry I can add to my stable.

Being lazy by nature I find myself leaning more and more to dried yeasts when I can get away with it. However, DCL's WB-06 dried wheat yeast definitely does not cut the mustard for my tastes; both times I've brewed with it, it's been excessively tart, bready and phenolic. I've also had two or three other wheat beers by fellow homebrewers that I've picked the strain in for the same qualities.

I'd love to hear feedback from any of you guys as you try this yeast, especially those of you who have also used WB-06. Here's hoping it's another dry I can add to my stable.
Tried looking at Westbrew today as they stock Nottingham and 20% off is not bad at the moment, but didn't see the Munich. Asked if they were going to stock the Munich wheat and just got referred to the saf WB06 :(

Craftbrewer has the Munich now. I think in within a week or two you'll see the first posts with results. A lot of people will be taking this one out for a spin.

looking fwd to hearing how this one goes, anyone given it a run yet ?

cheers
Yard

looking fwd to hearing how this one goes, anyone given it a run yet ?

cheers
Yard
I brewed a wheat last weekend especially for this yeast. Got the yeast now! So hopefully i'll pitch the cube this weekend. I used basically the same recipe i did with the wb06, so it will give me a feel for the differences. Although i don't have any me the other wheat left, so it will be from memory!?

Help!!

Pitching in about 3 hours - what temp do we ferment at? Was thinking 20?? Too Low? Too High?? Anyone?????

Beers

RM

Help!!

Pitching in about 3 hours - what temp do we ferment at? Was thinking 20?? Too Low? Too High?? Anyone?????

Beers

RM
I would say 20, for no other reason that many have success with that temp when using liquid hefe yeasts.
Otherwise perhaps the 30 degree rule thing, the pitch at 12 ferment at 18 e.g.

But I don't know really

The 30 rule should be just as appropriate to a dried strain as a liquid, especially if the manufacturers instructions are followed.
Whilst I am not a big dried yeast user (had too many bad experiences with shonky repackaged in zilch oxygen barrier zip-locks from shonky suppliers) its great to see the big two (Fermentis and Lallemand) happily competing with each other and expanding the available dried strains.
I would, btw, be perfectly happy with Craftbrewers packs as they do it properly..all the way.

K

20 it shall be - hope for some banana - not so much clove. Will report back.

And for the record - these are Danstar packs - no Craftbrewer repackaging -- yet. But bring it on.

RM

Progress so far

Pitched at 14 - Just the normal sprinkle method - (which seems to work well with WB-06) - the Danstar however seems slower - 18 hour latency - could be to do with the cooler than normal pitching temp (usually mid 20's)

Once fermentation kicked in the Krausen looks like a white Mushroom - very thick and dense. Think this will be over quickly - should have an initial taste over the weekend.

RM

Once fermentation kicked in the Krausen looks like a white Mushroom - very thick and dense. Think this will be over quickly - should have an initial taste over the weekend.

RM

Hey that seems promising already RM... To me the WB06 krausen seemed scant and very un weizen-like.

Your description is sounding more like Wyeast 3068's krausen. Here's to hoping. :)

Warren -

Yardy...should be pitching in the next day or 2, need to polish off a keg of 5 shades stout in the fridge first, to make room in the rotation (only a few PHaT pints left).
i think i'll ferment the same regime i did for my second wb06 wheaty (which acheived some banana oddly enough)
cool wort to around 17*c, remove from fridge and pitch. back in fridge and keep ferm at 18-19*c for the first 2 days of activity.. then i let it ramp up to about 21-22*C for the final few days. worked well. but majority of action at around 18*C.
i should type less and get to drinkin the black stuff, so i can pitch the banana stuff...!

bring it on.

I hoped to be able to move onto some dried yeast,or least use it as back up for a few brews.

Deeply disappointed,I will never use dry for a brew again.

The taste the nottingham gave the brew,well it tastes like sucking fish skeletons,oh and chalk

More progress

Overnight went from 12.2 to 8.4 (aboot 1.023) so at lunchtime I decanted to a keg and went mit de 'spunding maschine'

Set to 20 pSi - got there pretty quick.

Taste is spectacularly different to the WB-06 - sweet banana and spice notes - nothing phenolic that I can detect - no mouldy oranges and definitely no tartness.

Will leave until the weekend when all I should have to do is chill the keg down - pour off a cup or so of sludge - and voila -

The NO CO2 method.

RM

Taste is spectacularly different to the WB-06 - sweet banana and spice notes - nothing phenolic that I can detect - no mouldy oranges and definitely no tartness.

There's the money shot. I can see a quick & dirty wheat in my near future. Thanks rm

wonder what a 50/50, wb-06 / munch would taste like?

I hoped to be able to move onto some dried yeast,or least use it as back up for a few brews.

Deeply disappointed,I will never use dry for a brew again.

The taste the nottingham gave the brew,well it tastes like sucking fish skeletons,oh and chalk

Milpod,
i think you will find most users of dried yeast will agree that nottingham is the most limited of the bunch. i personally only find it useful in a dry dark beer. others like US05, windsor, WB06 and even s04 to an extent, do a decent job when required.
hoping the Munich is just another added to the bunch

Latest posts

Back