Danstar Munich Dried Wheat Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rog,

looks the goods that beer :beerbang:

nice job on reporting back your findings with this yeast

cheers
Yard

...i have to disagree fairly strongly to that.....my hefe's have 50% weyermann wheat in every grist....the last 10 brews have had efficiencies (into kettle as per pro mash) of 85,80,86,86,90,88,88,88,88,88....look at your mash ph, mash temps and grist in general...weyermann malts are as good as it gets...my opinion only....

...Cougar...

Interesting, My mash ph was 5.2, temp was 66degc for 50min then 69degc for 30mins and 75deg for mash out. I batch sparged for 30mins and ran off fairly slow as well. I agree their malt is the goods but with wheat my efficiency seems to drop. With their other malts I get efficiency at around 75% mostly. I use a braid manifold as well. Can you see any reason why I would be losing efficiency with my ph and temps?

hockers

For the record, I usually get as good, if not better, efficiency when using Wey wheat as part of the recipe.
The recipe posted has been brewed many times & hence my surprise at the drop. Wheat malt was cracked twice as well, once on its own & then mixed with the other grains.

Cheers Ross

Edit: Anyway, the lower alc should make it a top session beer, which is why I didn't make any boil adjustments. Now we just need the yeast to perform...

Should have heeded the warnings - 23L in a 30L fermenter & shes spewing foam through the airlock :eek:
This certainly throws up a krausen & a half....

Cheers Ross

using this yeast for the first time tomorrow. Sounds like I might have to rig up a blowoff tube. What temp are you fermenting at Ross?

using this yeast for the first time tomorrow. Sounds like I might have to rig up a blowoff tube. What temp are you fermenting at Ross?

21c....

cheers Ross

Definatly go the blow off tube.

must echo RM's comment on the difference a few days in the ferm/keg makes!
cracked a mini keg of this on saturday night and it went down well.
i forced carb'd but also got a thick creamy head, which is encouraging.

there is some definate banana there and a little bubblegum, but more importantly for me is that the tacky/fruity sweetness had gone.

Next use will be in a dunkel, should work well.
and YES i will be limiting what i put in the ferm, probably 23 litres(max) in the 30 litre ferm with a blow off tube.

Wow glad I checked this thread, I'm using this yeast this weekend and wouldn't have used a blow-off were it not for the warnings above.

Well I pitched my yeast late last night and noticed a bit of action when I left for work at 6.30 this morning. Got home around 4pm and the fridge is a mess! Yeah, I was too slack to use a blow-off tube. Gonna have fun cleaning that.

Kong, glad to hear that "tacky, fruity sweetness" is gone. I asume your refering to WB06 as thats what I've been getting with that yeast

clay

No Clay, i was getting that at the end of fermentation with the Munich yeast..!
even though it was at terminal gravity... after a day or 2 it seemed to dissipate, which was welcoming.
drinking well now. i have a corny full, cold and ready to carbonate, might get that done tonight.

My brew got down to 1012 from an OG of 1050 in the first 3 days. its now at 1008 and the hydro sample tastes great. Reminds me of Wienstephan Hefe whichis a fav of mine. Maybe this a dried version of 3068. I'm just waiting for an empty keg as I'm keen to get stuck into this one. For the record I just used 60% wyermann wheat 40% galaxy mashed at 64C.

I tried a test bottle of mine last night. Only four days in, so carbonation was pretty low.

It got down to about 1.009, but it seems very sweet. Not to my taste at all. I might have to forget about these for three or four weeks and see what happens. The right flavours are there, so maybe time and bubbles will sort things out.

I tried a test bottle of mine last night. Only four days in, so carbonation was pretty low.

It got down to about 1.009, but it seems very sweet. Not to my taste at all. I might have to forget about these for three or four weeks and see what happens. The right flavours are there, so maybe time and bubbles will sort things out.

Geoffi, i just kegged mine & thought exactly the same as I had it finishing its carbonation under pouring pressure. Had some brewers coming round, so gave it a blast of high pressure CO2 to finish it off & it's a different beer - very nice indeed.

cheers Ross

I made ~40L of wheat beer wort today, which was a nightmare in my conservative brewery. that wheat sure does like to mess up the sparge. I think I'll have to look into these rice gulls :pI hear so much about before I do another wheat.

anyway the plan is to split it into two 20L batches. 1 with the new danstar yeast, the other I'm undecided about. I have a packet of that other dried wheat yeast, though I wasnt particularly impressed by it last time. might be worth doing anyway just to have a comparison where the yeast is the only difference

Hi Guys,

Really pleased that I read this thread and used a blow off tube!! 23l in 30l fermenter awesome. Fermenting at 17C.

See attached

Peter

Danstar_Munich_Blowoff.JPG

Ahhhhh yes, the sign of a good wheat yeast.

Mine had been carbed and is building pressure in the keg. 20 psi and rising.

cheers

Got some in the mail today (Asked G&G last week about it and they ordered some in, not on the website but just call them or put a couple of sachets in the comments field when ordering, same price as Nottingham).

Planning to do a fairly simple Weizen with it, something along the lines of 50% wheat, 50% pils, double decoction mashed with a protein rest, bittered with Magnum to 12IBU. I can never resist adding some munich or crystal to my wheats, i like them more like Schneider than the lighter ones. Can go up the mountain and get some incredibly soft spring water as well (i reckon this stuff is on par with Plzen, and free :) ) - just add some CaCl2 and a bit of MgSO4 and i'm set.

Lucky i checked through this thread, i'll have to use a blowoff tube. WB06 just seemed tame in its krausen - almost like an Alt yeast. WB06 does have some "weizen" qualities but it was too hit and miss with temp, plus nobody ever got any banana with it, just tons and tons of clove and tartness.

Got this down yesterday, (thanks to AndrewQld for milling up for me)
3000 Wheat
1000 Rye
1000 Munich1
hallertauer & mount hood to 18 IBU

better go and setup a blow-off tube (never used one before) after reading the last few posts, looking fwd to seeing how this yeast goes.

cheers

Got this down yesterday, (thanks to AndrewQld for milling up for me)
3000 Wheat
1000 Rye
1000 Munich1
hallertauer & mount hood to 18 IBU

better go and setup a blow-off tube (never used one before) after reading the last few posts, looking fwd to seeing how this yeast goes.

cheers

How did the sparge go on this one? Looks like the sort of mash that would haunt your dreams!

Latest posts

Back