Danstar Munich Dried Wheat Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HHHMMMMMM, i have a keg of wheat beer using this yeast and either i did something wrong or my taste buds are shot to pieces as i get the blandest beer i have ever made using this yeast.....no cloves and no banana at all, whereas when i used the WB06 i got heaps of cloves.

Rook

+1, especially after a month in the keg.

Perhaps my methods aren't helping as I only did a single infusion mash and kept the ferment on the cool side (rising from 11 deg C to 19 deg C).

I will be interested in trying mine, though I changed my process & recipe for the hefe, uping the% of wheat and adding some melanoidin (I wimped out on doing a decoction) and added a protein rest. I fermented mine at 22c to try get more banana and less clove.

Given that Rook and I are gonna start slanting yeast (our gear arrived today!!), it will probably be the last time I use the dry stuff anyway!

I will be interested in trying mine, though I changed my process & recipe for the hefe, uping the% of wheat and adding some melanoidin (I wimped out on doing a decoction) and added a protein rest. I fermented mine at 22c to try get more banana and less clove.

Given that Rook and I are gonna start slanting yeast (our gear arrived today!!), it will probably be the last time I use the dry stuff anyway!

I should have listened to Wazza as he has been telling me for 2 years to get Wy 3068, once again the master is right

Rook

I used this yeast for the first time a couple of weeks ago, recipe was: -
Pilsner (Barett Burston) 3Kg
Rye (Weyermann) 2Kg
Wheat Malt (Barret Burston) 3Kg

Bittered to 13.5IBU's using Galaxy Hops 60minute and 10 minute additions
Single Mash Infusion 64c
Batch Size 35litres
OG 1.058
FG 1.014
Fermented at 18-20c

I've only tasted from the fermenter but initial tastes are quite pleasing, some Banan, bubble gum and moderate spiciness.

I only pitched one sachet of this yeast as I wanted to stress the yeast a little to see if I could achieve more banana character.

As I've said initial tasting is nice and pleasant, will update after kegging and allowing to conidtion for a few days.

AC

Kegged directly from primary fermenter yesterday and took a bit of a sample. It seems as though the flavour and aroma is quite a bit softer than the liquid yeasts an the cloviness is much more subdued compared to Ross's other dry weizen yeast. However, this all said, it does have a nice balance between the cloviness that is there and the banana esters, so reasonably pleased with the over all result.

One thing I did notice, was that it is quite a floculent yeast, it formed a very firm compact yeast cake at the bottom of the conical fermenter that was extremely hard to dislodge and drain! I ended up racking it out! So after six days, the beers clarity was quite nice.

Just digging up an ancient thread here, but I'm planning to use some of this yeast next week and I'm just wondering if anyone has followed the recommended pitching rate of 1g/L?

Don't really feel like spending 20 bucks on dried yeast so I'll probably go half that, but just wanted to check what the general consensus is.

Just digging up an ancient thread here, but I'm planning to use some of this yeast next week and I'm just wondering if anyone has followed the recommended pitching rate of 1g/L?

Don't really feel like spending 20 bucks on dried yeast so I'll probably go half that, but just wanted to check what the general consensus is.

The statistics are there to give information on the expected amount so you can calculate correctly. 1g/L isnt mentioned as a requirement.

Check out MrMaltys Pitching Calculator to give you and idea but at an OG of say 1050 the recommended amount is 1 packet for 22L. - http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

On a side note where in Perth are you buying it for $10 a packet or are you doing a 40Lt batch cause it really shouldn't cost much more than $5 a packet

The statistics are there to give information on the expected amount so you can calculate correctly. 1g/L isnt mentioned as a requirement.

Check out MrMaltys Pitching Calculator to give you and idea but at an OG of say 1050 the recommended amount is 1 packet for 22L. - http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

On a side note where in Perth are you buying it for $10 a packet or are you doing a 40Lt batch cause it really shouldn't cost much more than $5 a packet

Yeah, it's a 40L batch at 5 bucks a pack.

I used MrMalty (and did a thorough web search) before I posted this actually - MM recommends 350 billion cells, but I wasn't quite sure if the amount of cells/gram is roughly the same across the different brands. Danstar website lists a minimum of 5 billion viable cells/gram - which would mean six packs, but I realise the actual viable cell count would likely be well above this.

What threw me is that the only info on the back of the pack is a (seemingly specific) "Dosage - 1g/L", rather than a more useful "One pack per 20-30L of wort" like Fermentis. I was happy to go ahead and pitch it like I would any dry yeast, BUT (and this is basically why I've made this post) the LHBS owner told me that he actually does pitch dry yeast at 1g/L. Then he went ahead and told me to make a starter if I didn't want to buy four packs.

I'm new to brewing, but I'm as reluctant to make a starter with dried yeast as I am to cram four packs into a 40L batch. Both tips to me seemed like shit advice, but coming from the HBS I just wanted to put it out there and make sure.

By the way keifer, after dicking around for the best part of a year, I just poured my first pint of my first brew. I was waiting for this moment to pass before joining West Coast Brewers, so consider me signed up - can you PM me some details about membership etc?

The informationon the back of the packs is basically the same as the 500gm packs used by many micros.
Dosage for dry yeast is generally .75-1gm/L for best results.
So for 40L you want somewhere from just less than 3 x 11gm packs to just less than 4.
In the homebrew world you can get away with slower starts if your hygeine is up to scratch so pitching low is something that happens all the time.
It is accepted homebrew practise to pitch 1 pack into 22L of wort, 2 packs into 40L etc...
You will get increased ester production, occasionally the beer will finish short of the anticipated final OG and you do risk infection due to the slower start. As I said before if your hygeine is up to scratch you will be fine, far less bad bugs in the home compared to commercial areas.
So, in short,
Acceptable practise = 1 pack per 22L
Best practise = 1gm/L

What do I recommend as a retailer? Best practise!
What do most of my customers do? Use acceptable practise. It works for most.

Cheers
Nige

Latest posts

Back