Danstar Munich Dried Wheat Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used it in a weizen-bock just for the novelty :rolleyes: The were some odd stringy bits in the wort when racking to secondary that I'd never seen before. But after a few days under carbonation it a quick taste seems fine and I'll report back in a few weeks after some conditioning. Will be doing a double batch of hefe in the next week or two, so I'm pretty confident B) .

wonder what a 50/50, wb-06 / munch would taste like?

I would think that the WB-06 would dominate

Maybe a staggered pitch - Munich for long enough to throw Banana and then some WB-06 for clove/nutmeg/hydroflouric acid.

Of course these are INITIAL taste tests - from the fermenter - cos I am impatient.

Will probably move to 'clove overload' in due course.

I upped mien 'spunding maschine' to 28 psi - this is the 2nd part of the experiment that I hope does the business.

RM

Roger Mellie,

So you basically threw the yeast in and hoped for the best? No complicated rehydration procedure like their website suggests... and it still turned out OK!

One thing that I did notice on the Danstar site is that the yeast produces Medium-High attenuation. Don't know whether that is desirable :huh:

Roger Mellie,

So you basically threw the yeast in and hoped for the best? No complicated rehydration procedure like their website suggests... and it still turned out OK!

One thing that I did notice on the Danstar site is that the yeast produces Medium-High attenuation. Don't know whether that is desirable :huh:

I saw the 'complicated rehydration method' - bollocks to that. All I ever do with dried yeast is just sprinkle on the top of the wort.

The WB-06 used to finish at 1.012 - to 1.014 - (my starting gravity is always between 1.048 and 1.054 depending on efficiency) so I will be interested in the FG with this yeast. 75% will give 1.012 which would be OK for me.

Will report this back also

Cheers

RM

I don't see anything 'complicated' about the rehydration procedure. The way it's put on the website makes it sound more complicated than it need be.

Just sprinkle it in a jar of 100 ml cooled, boiled water, give it a swirl after 20 minutes or so and chuck it in. Simple as that.

I've found this cuts back lag times significantly.

I don't see anything 'complicated' about the rehydration procedure. The way it's put on the website makes it sound more complicated than it need be.

Just sprinkle it in a jar of 100 ml cooled, boiled water, give it a swirl after 20 minutes or so and chuck it in. Simple as that.

I've found this cuts back lag times significantly.

It was the bollocks about 'add wort until the temperatures match in order to not shock the yeast' that looked complicated / unnecessary. The lag time was > with WB-06 - but - I pitched at about 14 degrees.

Never been one for RTFM myself.

RM

It is probably wise to make sure the temp diff between the wort and the yeast is not too great. But I'm not too anal about that. Near enough seems good enough.

I'd ignore the advice on the Danstar site. Dried yeast is dried yeast.

Here's the procedure as described for WB-06 on Craftbrewer:

Pitching instructions: Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C 3C (80F 6F). Once the expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to 30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

Well it obviously fired anyway. It did seem like they had advocated an overly delicate treatment of the yeast, perhaps the 'sprinkle in' method wouldn't work so well if the yeast was a bit older'.

mines pumping away now (48hrs), big fluffy with crusty top krausen (excuse the technical brewing terminology).
sitting around 19*C and should only take 4 days or so given the OG of 1041... so i might give it a sip tomorrow arv. :D

mines pumping away now (48hrs), big fluffy with crusty top krausen (excuse the technical brewing terminology).
sitting around 19*C and should only take 4 days or so given the OG of 1041... so i might give it a sip tomorrow arv. :D

Big frothy head? Sounds very familiar... Caffreys? :D

Warren -

Tasted the excessively frothy sample out of my keg (merrily carbonating at 30psi) - shot all over the shop. Down to 1.012 now and by the way the needle shot back up to 30 (from 25) still pumping.

The sample has changed yet again - definitely still Banana - there are other fruits there though and I still get spices. What has become evident now is the Maltyness almost candy apple.

Which has me wondering what liquid this dried yeast is cloned from: Im hoping for the 3638.

From Beersmith

Bavarian Wheat
Laboratory: Wyeast Labs Flocculation: Low
Product Number: 3638 Average Attenuation: 73.0 %
Type: Wheat Minimum Temp: 17.8 C
Form: Liquid Maximum Temp: 23.9 C

Size: 1 Pkgs Times Cultured: 0
Inventory: 0 Pkgs Max Culture Reuse: 5
Use Starter: No Last Cultured: 14/06/2003
Add to Secondary: No

Best For
Bavarian Weizen, Hefeweizen

Notes
Hefeweizen yeast with complex flavor and aroma. Bubble gum, banana flavors with apple/plub ester profile. Malty flavor.

German Wheat
Laboratory: Wyeast Labs Flocculation: High
Product Number: 3333 Average Attenuation: 73.0 %
Type: Wheat Minimum Temp: 17.2 C

Use Starter: No Last Cultured: 14/06/2003

Best For
Bavarian Weizen

Notes
Subtle flavor profile. Sharp, fruity, crisp, sherry like flavor.

Bavarian Wheat Yeast
Laboratory: Wyeast Labs Flocculation: Medium
Product Number: 3056 Average Attenuation: 75.0 %
Type: Wheat Minimum Temp: 17.8 C
Form: Liquid Maximum Temp: 23.3 C

Use Starter: No Last Cultured: 13/06/2003

Best For
Bavarian style wheat beers.

Notes
Blend of top-fermenting ale and wheat yeasts providing a mild ester and phenolic profile.

Hey Mate,

will putting the yeast under that much pressure allow it to attenuate fully?

Rob.

Hey Mate,

will putting the yeast under that much pressure allow it to attenuate fully?

Rob.

Dunno Rob - its gone from 1.050 to 1.011 in < 4 days - so I dont think so.

Im pretty sure Zwickel does a similar thing with his Hefe's - might send him a PM

RM

Dunno Rob - its gone from 1.050 to 1.011 in < 4 days - so I dont think so.

Im pretty sure Zwickel does a similar thing with his Hefe's - might send him a PM

RM

Hey Mate,

the last hefe which i did spunding on attenuated well, must be just a visious rumor!

what was your mash temp?

Rob.

Hey Mate,

the last hefe which i did spunding on attenuated well, must be just a visious rumor!

what was your mash temp?

Rob.

There may be truth to the rumour - but the SG dropped from 46 ish to 22 ish in about 12 hours - that was before I put it in the keg.

TBH I would like to stop where it is - doesnt look like its going to.

RM

(snip)
Notes
Hefeweizen yeast with complex flavor and aroma. Bubble gum, banana flavors with apple/plub ester profile. Malty flavor.

German Wheat
Laboratory: Wyeast Labs Flocculation: High
Product Number: 3333 Average Attenuation: 73.0 %
Type: Wheat Minimum Temp: 17.2 C

(snip)
At last - the plub ester profile I've spent my life searching for :p
This yeast does take off at a sprint, the Weizenbock went from 1073 to 1025 in around 3 days, ended up at 1020.

Howdy Fellow Taxdodgers

Well - now the "Spunding Procedure' has completed - I can report back on my finished product.

No pictures as yet - but the head on this beer is (pardon my Kiwiese) is Ruch and Thuck and Creamy - huge - like meringue. Any Bubblegum I have experienced in the WB-06 variant has always appeared in the froth (thats where I detect it anyway) - no such luck here. The froth has an almost champagne ness to it - a bit bruised appley almost mineral character.

The palate has evident banana/apple (didn't get Plub Winkle) with a kind of sweet malty overtone. No hops are evident (I used Cascade to about 17 IBU's). The spice that I got whilst tasting is no longer evident now that the beer is at 2 DegC - might reappear when it warms up.

I kind of got used to the Tartness of the WB-06 - could easily see some yeast blending in the future.

FG was 1.011 - so almost exactly 75% real att. It all happened pretty quick - so no real difference there.

Very happy with the carbonation that the Spunding Valve gave.

On the whole - I'm happy - another Dry yeast to the arsenal.

Will post picture when I get a chance - I dont see this keg lasting long.

RM

(I used Cascade to about 17 IBU's

Oh Roger.... how could you?

I pitched this yeast into my Hefe last night. I rehydrated it in some cooled boiled water for an hour while the brew was cooling. Pitched the 1 pack into 50 liters of 1.054 wort at 22 deg and had chilled to 20 deg in 2 hrs. The airlock still wasnt moving when i went to bed.

Checked it this morning and it was bubbling the airlock well with an inch of foam. Off i went to work and thought....... i hope it doesnt foam up like 3068.

Got ho,e and what did i find....... a mess!

cleaned up the lid and hooked up a blow off tube.

This brew is sitting at 19.5 deg and is boiling the water in the bottle like it has gastro! Ive never seen gas priduction like this. Ive lost alnost a liter out the lid so far and expect to loose more.

Tell me again why i brew wheat beers....... oh yeah..... they are yummy :)

its bubbling so hard its shaking the bottle back and forth. In a bit concerned actually. I shouldnt have airates it so well :(

cant wait to see how it turns out but its looking more promising than the WB-06 that wouldnt even pull 1/2 inch or head on the firment.

cheers

Danstar_munich_lid__824_x_549_.jpg

danstar_munich_blow_tube__549_x_824_.jpg

Latest posts

Back