Dans, The craft beer experts..NOT

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is so good to into somewhere like acland cellars or carwyn cellars and talk to the guys about styles of beer and be able to pick a anchor steam beer or a ssaison or a 90 minute ipa out of the fridge. They give us hope for a palatable future.

jc64 said:
A little birdy told me a certain member of this forum is working at the brewery that makes this beer in wee Scotland. I reckon he would charge more than DM to send one over though :D

I'll be going back to Scotland in August, and live 30 or so miles from the brewery. Perhaps I could arrange a delivery of Tactical Nuclear Penguin if people wanted?

Our dans isnt too bad but yes populated by younger people who work there for the discounts i guess?

Mind you I have been in and asked what is a new craft beer that i may have not tried before, I endevour to not buy the same beers very often,

The reply I got was Theres a new VB out - its now full strength,

I was like facepalm really?

Most bottle shops up here only know how to stock local megaswill. To them the imported beers are things like VB as it "imported from another state"...

Thank **** for the Dans and 1st Choice selection...

WPMO is when the pimply-faced dude scanning my bottle conditioned beers through the checkout almost tips them upside down like he thinks he's Tom Cruise from Cocktail.

Don't get me started about Tom Cruise.

:wub:

Well it took some time to get here but it looks like Dan's Smithfield Cairns just got a delivery. Showing LC Shepherds Delight and Ballast Point IPA in stock from the website. Handy option that being able to see stock levels.

Buy from a supermarket, get what a supermarket offers.

I support XO Cellars (independent) in Noosa Junction for Sunshine Coast drinkers. Knowledgeable, experienced, buy to demand so you get fresh stock. I pay a bit more, but I get what I pay for. Good range, and search for what you ask.
In sydney I liked camperdown cellars and some other small independents. They get crushed on price by DMs BWS etc, and need support, but they run on passion and reputation.

Pay extra, support local, get service.

Supermarkets up here in FNQ do not or cannot stock beer or spirits so limited to the likes of Dans, First Choice and Liquorland and bottleshops associated with pubs. Dan's is the best bet for craft beer up here.

My local Dans has reduced it's craft beer range of recent months. We are a bit spoiled for choice I central Melbourne, but it has been a handy option in the past. My local Thirsty Camel has a smaller, but better considered range. Best recent offering was Southern Bay Brew Co. Le Petit Tronc.

Tropical_Brews said:
Supermarkets up here in FNQ do not or cannot stock beer or spirits so limited to the likes of Dans, First Choice and Liquorland and bottleshops associated with pubs. Dan's is the best bet for craft beer up here.
If you were referring to Pickaxe's comment above your's you'll find that he referred to Dan's as a supermarket (of liquor), basically saying that same as you can't expect the product knowledge from Coles that you would get from a dedicated market stall as an example, you can't expect Dan's to know everything about every product they offer.

Whoops yes I understand what he is saying now. Don't drink and drive or read. :chug:

Up here in Newcastle we refer to Dan Murphys as Bunnings for Drunks.

:icon_offtopic: i just came back from tasmania,north/north west, the pubs i visited had a selection local brews,even ashgroves cheese has moo/morrisons,two metre tall.

Spent yet another extended time at my local Dan's trying to get a bottle of Monteith's Apricot Wheat beer and Little Creatues Shepherd's Delight...the website said both were in stock (wheat beer was low stock but other was normal) but it still took 2 staff members and about 30mins to find me 2 bottles :unsure:

The Apricot Wheat is a bit 'meh'. It is very apricotty, to the point that it almost tastes like an apricot wine.

GalBrew said:
The Apricot Wheat is a bit 'meh'. It is very apricotty, to the point that it almost tastes like an apricot wine.
I liked it, enjoyed that little bit of "funk" it had...I was actually a little disappointed in the Shepard's Delight...gotta love every bodies taste buds being different :lol:

tricache said:
I liked it, enjoyed that little bit of "funk" it had...I was actually a little disappointed in the Shepard's Delight...gotta love every bodies taste buds being different :lol:
I think a bit drier and a sour touch, even maybe done with a saison yeast and I would have been on board.

GalBrew said:
I think a bit drier and a sour touch, even maybe done with a saison yeast and I would have been on board.
That I totally agree with!!! Turning it up a notch with a saison yeast would be awesome!

Truman said:
I went to my local bottlo on Friday, which just happens to be a Dan Murphys, and I was looking at their craft beer range trying to see if I could find something new I hadn't tried before.
I passed over the KISS beer without even picking it up for a look and was standing there when an employee walked up to me and the conversation went like this.

DM: Hi mate can I help you at all?

Truman: No thanks Im right, Im just trying to find a craft beer you stock that I might not have tried yet.

DM: Oh okay well let me see if I can suggest something thats worth trying. Here what about this have you had Budwieser before? (picks up a stubby of bud)

Truman: Umm no thanks not really into that.

DM: Well its a very popular craft beer in the USA. So it must be a good drop. What about this one (Shows me something called Budvar and tells me its the European version of Budwieser so its also a great beer as its made in Czechoslavakia, where beer was first invented.)

At this stage I was trying my hardest not to say "Are you for ******* real??"

Instead I said...Mate they're not craft beers, they may be imported but they're not craft beers and in their country of origin belong in the fridge over where you guys have all the other mega brewed, watered down, flavourless crap, like VB and MB.

He then starts to tell me "I think you will find your wrong there and they are in fact craft beers"

So I just grabbed a SN Pale Ale and porter and left.

Was still shaking my head as i walked out. :D
Soudns like the time they had a tasting of an English Pale at my local Dans. I asked him what hops were in it and the guy said "Figgins". I asked him if he meant "fuggles", he was pretty sure it was "figgins" At least he tried....

Latest posts

Back