Dans, The craft beer experts..NOT

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's wrong with Figgins? I think they go perfectly well in an English Pale.

Not Dan's fault anyway if the brewer decides to put them in their beer.

have any of you that are complaining, actually put the complaint in to any of the dans or just whinging on here.
they really are trying to educate their staff and things like this are exactly what they need to hear and can rectify.
heres the contact link
Contact Us

barls said:
have any of you that are complaining, actually put the complaint in to any of the dans or just whinging on here.
they really are trying to educate their staff and things like this are exactly what they need to hear and can rectify.
heres the contact link
Contact Us
Yes and got no where...took them 3 weeks to get back to me and all they had to say (this was initially about an "out of stock" item which actually was in stock) they had the item in stock and could put it on hold for me if I wanted which was useless since I had already complained to the in store manager twice and actually got her to check out the back for me and found the beer for me. This was after being told by 2 staff members that they had never heard of the beer and another saying that they were still waiting for it to arrive.

2 words... Woolworths.

well, that's 1 word. Trying to educate a high turnover staff crew who really don't give a ****, or get paid to give a **** = good luck middle management. 1 word - not going to happen.

2 words come to mind; pulling teeth.

Working for a company like this = little to 0 incentive to give a ****. I stokc shelves, my manager is 22 yrs old, they know nothing, blah, blah, blah,

This has to be about the best beer review I've ever seen. Well done Nicole. Cats Shank Kolsch.
IMAG0921.jpg

Bridges said:
This has to be about the best beer review I've ever seen. Well done Nicole. Cats Shank Kolsch.
attachicon.gif
IMAG0921.jpg
I've gotta agree with the reviewer. Most craft beer is all about malt and/or hops these days. Throw in those Belgians (who are all about yeast) and everyone forgets the one component that is about 95% of most beers, water. Hops were the start and now sours seem to be the FLAVOUR of the month. Let's get away from the FLAVOUR of the month and go back to beer tasting as close to water as possible.
:D :D :D

I worked at Dans for two years. Employee expertise varies from store to store, it all has to do with the store managers.

The store I worked at we had staff beer tastings every week and a few of us were pretty good in the beer department. We had a beer panel and shit, customers always seemed happy with our recommendations.

Most Dans stores however, are massively wine biased. Every store has a fine wine expert, something I thought would be good with beer. I suggested that dans stores should all have a beer expert but obviously it didn't happen.

I lived in Brisbane when I worked there, our store was good with stuff like that. Now that I have moved back to Coffs Harbour, the Dans experience here is crap. I haven't met a single employee yet that has known anything about beer. They cant even tell me where to find a beer I know they have.

anyway, bottom line. Some dans stores are great, but most are not. If they have a passionate store manager that wants to further the knowledge of employees thats great. I sadly think that most store managers dont care about anything but budgets and sales.

Also want to add that I no longer work or have anything to do with Dan Murphys. Im a refrigeration mechanic, the two years I worked there was just for something different for a bit.

calobes said:
I lived in Brisbane when I worked there, our store was good with stuff like that. Now that I have moved back to Coffs Harbour, the Dans experience here is crap. I haven't met a single employee yet that has known anything about beer. They cant even tell me where to find a beer I know they have.
I went into the Coffs Dan's the other week and was suggested Pabst Blue Ribbon as a craft beer by an employee...
I've gone back to only buying beer from Jetty Cellars (in the very rare instances I buy beer)
or from IGA Liqour at Boambee if I'm too lazy to drive into town

sp0rk said:
I went into the Coffs Dan's the other week and was suggested Pabst Blue Ribbon as a craft beer by an employee...
I've gone back to only buying beer from Jetty Cellars (in the very rare instances I buy beer)
or from IGA Liqour at Boambee if I'm too lazy to drive into town
Yeah they suck in there. I'll still shamlessley buy from there though. Even if the employees don't know a thing they still have the best range

sp0rk said:

Last edited by a moderator:
The people who work at Dans in ? have always been helpful and I can't speak more highly of their retail skills. Couple of the boys are brewers and get my drift of shopping for tastes. Industrial relations woops.

Back