D.i.y. Roast Barley

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odydoesbrew

Reaction score
I wanted to put down a partial stout and had decided that a quantity of roasted barley was needed to add to the can of coopers stout, dark malt extract and additional hops. So after checking my LHBS online grain selection and not seeing any, I thought I would do my own. I bought a bag of pearl barley, 500g from the local fruit market and this is what I did.

I took app. half the barley and soaked it overnight, dried it out and roasted it at around 200degC until quite dark, but nowhere near black.

I have realised that I mixed up some stuff I read on the net about roasted barley and roasted malts and crytal and all that, and I should not have soaked the grains. They did sprout a little bit, just some tops showing.

Can anyone tell me if this is now useless for what I want to do? Is it good for anything? What if I take the other half of the bag of grain and pan fry gently until blackened (like toasting pine nits), will this work?

thanks,
Ody

ody, I'd be starting again. But if you decide to malt your own grain in in the future, you've seen how easily it will sprout. :lol:
have a read of this

they mention raw roasted barley...
For raw roasted barley I like 45 minutes at 190c, followed by 30 minutes at 230c., or until 10% of grains are very dark, and 10 % is light brown. You will notice that time become flexible as it gets warmer. That's because at the lower temp you may not see much changes going on, but its there. As it get warmer you will see the changes happen quite rapidly, and you can actually determine the colour of your malt. So if you recipe has a lot of dark adjuncts already, well you lighten your roasted malt. And of course if its light on in colour, well you can darken it as well. This is great for recipe formulation.

my understanding is that trying this in your house could be a spouse angering process.... lots of smoke involved in getting it really black

Back