Custom made square kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pressure that a corny keg will withstand is pretty impressive. I've had mine up to 400 kpa and the safety valve hasn't blown on any if them.

If a square keg was fitted with a safety valve that was approximately 150 kpa at its max then the engineering of the keg could be significantly reduced whilst still suiting it's purpose.

SmallFry! Thank-you. Looks like there are some creative solutions available. I'll be hunting for an appropriate container and over pressure valve in order to emulate this idea. Even if it simply takes over the job of the one keg that supplies cold water to my font.

As Mark said, making a stainless vessel that could handle dispensing pressures isn't rocket science but it will cost you. Thick stainless (say 6mm) could be used comfortably for a vessel of 10-15l size. It most certainly won't be 'rated' as such will suffice for a home unit provided you're sensible with design (i.e. install a pressure relief, don't charge it up to 200 kPa etc).

If you do want it to adhere to standards, then unless you have wads of cash at your disposal I wouldn't recommend thinking about it any further.

431neb said:
Even if it simply takes over the job of the one keg that supplies cold water to my font.
Surely that’s the answer right there?

Couldn’t you just use an unpressurised container (cube, bucket or whatever fits in the space) of water, then pump and return it through your font with a little brown pump or whatever?

Then you could use the “one keg that supplies cold water to your font” for beer.

Cheers Sean

Latest posts

Back