Custom made square kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

431neb

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to custom make a rectangular keg to perfectly fit into a keezer? I have the shelf over the compressor in my ice-cream fridge that I use to refrigerate 4 cornies but I would like to utilize the space over the shelf with something that has a larger volume than a 10 litre party keg.

I also wondered about the capacity of a half keg....

Why not just build a bigger collar so another 19L keg will fit. Cleaning a rectangular keg would be a PITA.

This might not work, just an idea I had after reading your post.
But could you get a couple of these from keg King and attach them to a cube of whatever size would fit into your fridge space (5, 10, 17, 20 litre, square, rectangle, round etc etc.)
Attach some beer line somehow as a dip tube and attach a PRV to the cube lid and make your own custom built keg to suit various fridge spaces etc.

Cubes and canoe drums are easy enough to sanitise and if they can hold hot wort without bursting then I assume they can hold 10 PSI of CO2. You could make various sized plastic kegs to suit your fridge space and would also be a cheap way to get started with kegging if you cant afford a corny.

Anyone see a reason why this wouldnt work that I may have over looked?

ball lock post.PNG

I'd be cautious pressurising a cube without knowing what its actual rating is.
I know some people dispense real ale from them but that is very low carbonation.

You can possibly find out their pressure rating from somewhere - my confidence in them as a replacement for a keg would be pretty low.

Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping for a square stainless pressure vessel off the shelf but knew that if it existed the likelihood of if being approximately the right size were low. I wonder if one could be fabricated cheaply that would be nice enough to clean and sanitise effectively?

On the topic if a collar, there is a number if reasons not to that i won't bore you with.

I too thought about a plastic vessel combined with a very low pressure blow off valve (or two because that could be bloody messy) but have not investigated.

I'll probably just opt for two little kegs bringing the total to 4 x 19 l kegs and 2 x 10 l kegs. Pity as I'm sure a rectangular vessel would fit 50 odd litres.

I imagine that a cylinder would evenly distribute the pressure across the entire circumference. A square pressurised vessel would result in uneven pressure in the corners, and therefore it'd be less able to handle higher pressures.

You could try one of those collapsable bladders if you're happy to have a real ale sitting on the hump - I think they are square?

Custom-made circular freezers might be a better bet, with a honeycomb grid inside for cornies. :)

TemplateCircularHoneycombCover-example_4.gif

Custom-made circular freezers might be a better bet, with a honeycomb grid inside for cornies. :)

Damn these square fridges!

Seriously , I thought this ice cream fridge would be the best bit of brewing kit ever but in many ways it has been a bit of a headache.

I envy people with a basement or sub floor big enough to hide all the fridges and simply have a nice neat font in the house.

Anyway, anyone know a fabricator in Melbourne who could rattle off an estimate for something like the square tank mentioned above?

Pascals law relates to any pressure vessel, square or not. You would get equal pressure at every point. The only problem is the square is not as strong as the circle, unless made out of very heavy walled material a square or rectangle would try to become a circular shape when pressure is applied.

It's a big ask that would surely cost more than a bigger/better dimensioned freezer? I have a bought new freezer that cost something like $300 that holds 6 cornies with ease, no hump inside.
It did require a collar but that just gave me somewhere to attach the taps and working space for hops, slants etc. and took all of $20/1 hour to make.

Don't square the circle!

431neb said:
Has anyone ever tried to custom make a rectangular keg to perfectly fit into a keezer? I have the shelf over the compressor in my ice-cream fridge that I use to refrigerate 4 cornies but I would like to utilize the space over the shelf with something that has a larger volume than a 10 litre party keg.

I also wondered about the capacity of a half keg....
What size is the space you are trying to utilize?

I think what Truman was suggesting may work for what you are after but you would need to place the cube in a strong box to retain the square shape. If the cube was placed in a tight confined space without suitable support it could damage your keezer. Think of the cube as a bicycle tube and the box as the tyre.
I don’t know the pressure rating of cubes but I have tried a simple little experiment by pumping up a 15/17L cube full of water to see what sort of pressure my real ale cubes were holding.

I drilled a hole in an old cap and inserted a bicycle valve cut from an old tube leaving enough rubber to seal the hole when I pulled up firmly on it, then I pumped it up until it looked about as swollen as the maximum I have primed and allowed a cube of ale swell to. I was surprised to see that the (uncalibrated) gauge on the bicycle pump was reading 22psi.

I would suggest experimenting by first making a strong tight fitting plywood box (I don’t think it would need a top/lid) and slipping the cube into it. As an alternative to truman’s dip tube idea you could drill a hole in the box to allow a tap or something to be fitted to the bung hole after the cube has been put in the box.

If it works well then perhaps try having a stainless steel box made and see how that goes.

Having said all that, I think it would be better in the long run to get a bigger keezer and more kegs if you need them.

Cheers
Sean

Could you modify a stainless jerry can? I don't know what they're pressure rated too but they're designed to carry fuel in high ambient temps and rough conditions. About the same volume as a corny too.

Camo6 said:
Could you modify a stainless jerry can? I don't know what they're pressure rated too but they're designed to carry fuel in high ambient temps and rough conditions. About the same volume as a corny too.
I may be wrong but if I understand the OP correctly I think he only wants to utilize a small currently wasted space in his keezer.

Depends what size that space is but a jerry can will probably be too big. Cubes come in several different shapes and sizes so should be easier to choose one that fits. He wants something bigger than a 10L party keg but how much bigger?

Cheers

S.E said:
I may be wrong but if I understand the OP correctly I think he only wants to utilize a small currently wasted space in his keezer.

Depends what size that space is but a jerry can will probably be too big. Cubes come in several different shapes and sizes so should be easier to choose one that fits. He wants something bigger than a 10L party keg but how much bigger?

Cheers
Good point. What are the dimensions 431neb? If width was ok you could always cut a jerry down and tig a new top on it. The welds would need.to be sanitary though. Might not be worth the effort or expense though. My first keezer lasted two months before dying.

S.E said:
What size is the space you are trying to utilize?

I think what Truman was suggesting may work for what you are after but you would need to place the cube in a strong box to retain the square shape. If the cube was placed in a tight confined space without suitable support it could damage your keezer. Think of the cube as a bicycle tube and the box as the tyre.
I don’t know the pressure rating of cubes but I have tried a simple little experiment by pumping up a 15/17L cube full of water to see what sort of pressure my real ale cubes were holding.

I drilled a hole in an old cap and inserted a bicycle valve cut from an old tube leaving enough rubber to seal the hole when I pulled up firmly on it, then I pumped it up until it looked about as swollen as the maximum I have primed and allowed a cube of ale swell to. I was surprised to see that the (uncalibrated) gauge on the bicycle pump was reading 22psi.

I would suggest experimenting by first making a strong tight fitting plywood box (I don’t think it would need a top/lid) and slipping the cube into it. As an alternative to truman’s dip tube idea you could drill a hole in the box to allow a tap or something to be fitted to the bung hole after the cube has been put in the box.

If it works well then perhaps try having a stainless steel box made and see how that goes.

Having said all that, I think it would be better in the long run to get a bigger keezer and more kegs if you need them.

Cheers
Sean
Just a thought from me. If you make a plywood box, I'd wrap some fibreglass packing straps around it to ensure the box doesn't expand, with the jerry can pressure.

Pressure can get quite high. I have made a no-chilled cube into a no-chill and leaky sphere (with a handle) before.

Grolch used to have 15 odd liter square kegs in europe about a decade ago for the restaurant market.

I reckon yer better off NOT trying to fit a square keg in a round hole.

Couldn't resist.

I remember having nearly this exact conversation with some brewers about 20 years ago, they were looking to manufacture a Square Keg, it never got off the ground.

The main problem is that a flat moves quite a lot when you apply pressure, the thinner the material is (and relatively cheap) the more it flexes, to the point where it starts to pull its self apart at the joints
Two solutions - 1/ make it thick enough, price goes up, it gets too heavy. 2/ Rib the surface so it is reinforced by the shape (like corrugated iron roofing sheets), cost of manufacture goes up and its a right ******* fitting the ends.

Net result was it was cheaper to buy second hand Corny kegs and invest the money in a fridge that will do the job.
Mark

Latest posts

Back