Cubism

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tugunkid

Reaction score
I recently brewed my first 2 AG brews cubed both.

Pitched yeast in 1 next day which has worked out fine and stored the other for 10 days in an old fridge not working.

Ready to bottle the 1st after 10 days to free the fermenter and pitch yeast in the second and sadly the cubed wort was infected/fermenting and ready to blow.

My question is if I had pitched yeast in the 2nd earlier would this have dominated or was the infected brew always destined for failure?

Thanks

I can't help you but I should congratulate you on your amusing cubist jape.

You'll get much more comment on the other issue but I'm sure this validation means more.

I am sorry to hear.
The answer would be If the second cube was poured into a clean cube and at over 80 degrees Celsius and swirled around to sanitise cube fully. NO!

Matti

Sadly sounds as though your second cube had some nasties that you did not manage to kill off and adding the yeast earlier would not have saved your bacon - or beer

What type of cube (e.g. a willow from Bunnings or some other brand?)
How did you sanitise (e.g. boiling water followed by Starsan?)
Did you pour the wort in whilst boiling?

I've done over fifty nochills in the same faithful cube and never had a cube infection yet, sorry to hear about your mishap. If you thoroughly treat your infected cube it should be good as a fermenter / secondary

Napisan for a week
Rinse out with boiling water
Put on Starsan for a week
Rinse out with boiling water
More Starsan then use as fermenter or secondary vessel.

Back