Cubes and storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bacchus FWK's have a 2 year use by date on them. Not sure of the process now but the way they used to fill them was very similar to the at home method although a bit quicker.
I have stored some cubes for over 12 months and they were fine. I recently upgrade my brew rig so I can fill 6 cubes from one brew, mainly for time efficiency and flexibility. Never had a cube go bad yet.

Another sponsor here also does FWK's and i been give a couple of them over the years as christmas gifts and i have had no issues at all with the product.

On Bribie Island I once lost a cube due to spontaneous fermentation. When I moved down here I brought three full cubes with me, the idea being to get the brewhouse up and running as quickly as possible in the new place.

They were the square 20L variety, two went off within a month of brewing :unsure: and the third, a RIS that was already a year old, was fine. I eventually pitched it after the New Year of 2013 and entered it in the NSW comp where it got a good review. The beer is still in a keg and I'll be trotting it out again for this year's comps.

So in 5 years and hundreds of brews, all up I've lost 3 cubes during storage and nowadays I use NC strictly as a short term thing, ....edit: in my new brewery - \edit... longest I've kept a cube has been about 10 days and even so I keep them at 4 degrees in my fermenting fridge. The kegmate / tomohawk type fridges will take 2 of the square cubes stacked up.

The two that went off had been brought down in the furniture truck and had been handled several times and I suspect that the seals had been "cracked" during the stresses of motion and transit, normally they just sit on a concrete floor. Also one of them had a tap fitted, I regularly used that one for pitching next day to run into the FV from a height to oxygenate ("single dropping"). I shouldn't have used that for medium term storage, as there's a strong likelihood of nasties in the tap mechanism. Lesson learned.

Cubing is the best. I make a starter out of the wort as well and once it's going I toss it and the cube together and boom. Magic. Once I make my bigger rig I'll be able to make more and store it till required. Saving heaps of time brewing.

I've done 30 cubes and the only one that stuffed up was when I didn't screw the cap on properly. I have kept full cubes for over 3 months with no noticeable off flavours at all. A great way to brew imo.

If it wasn't for cubes, I'd be doing alternate AG and K&K brews.

Cube-ing gives me the opportunity to punch out two beers on the same day. One gets pitched the next day and the other saved for the next time I have an empty FV. Over time I get a build up of cubes that help me get through those times when I don't have the time to brew.

I love brewing. I hate having an empty FV. Cube-ing means that I can have the best of both worlds.

Latest posts

Back