Crystal vs. Cara malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd call that 1.012. Wow.. is interesting. Still, it doesn't mean everything, there's still the little matter of taste yet, ha

Has lost it's red hue, will see what happens as it conditions

Attachments

• 20171006_145314.jpg
    20171006_145314.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 134
Well, it's been in the bottle a week or so now, so how is it?

It's good! (Left home brew, right Pirate. Mine hasn't cleared just yet and is a few shades darker) it's actually very close, but still not as hoppy as the real deal. Whatever I do I just can't quite get the same level of aroma there. But I'd say it's definitely the closest brew I've ever made to the real deal, about 95% of the way there! so crystal is definitely a big factor and I'll say quite confidently that if you weren't looking you'd never notice this was used. The mouthfeel is really good, not too overbearing at all suprisingly! It's 'malty' without being overpowering. Next time I'm going to lighten it up to around 22ebc

Attachments

• 20171011_171404.jpg
    20171011_171404.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Well, it's been a few weeks now so I'm confident at giving the final verdict. It's a good beer. A little heavy on the mouthfeel, a little confused and hops don't particularly shine through.

You wouldn't think of it as a pale ale if it were served to you in a pub, it's more a. Well.. I don't know what it is!? It reminds me of a porter or ESB with a strange hop schedule. Something you'd drink in a pub in England while saying to yourself, what the $uc@ is this!?. And for some reason it gives me a wicked beer buzz.. too

Nice and creamy but the crystal dominates the stage. All-in-all, glad I tried it to see what effects crystal in high doses does have exactly, rather than just reading about someone else doing it

Next up is an IPA, for a change. I've got milled

6kg BB pale ale malt
300g Cara
200g Medium crystal
450gms sucrose because I think I'd enjoy a bit ir a drier finish and picked up the tip from the 'Pliny the elder' guy
So that's 7% total crystal, probably as high as I'd want to go(?)

First wort hop with Cascade combined with bittering magnum (this will be my first time FWHing)

Steeping hops are mosaic and Cascade

Flameout whirlpool hops under 80 degrees celsius Amarillo and Simcoe

2x packets US West coast yeast. Hopefully this is more to style?

(Crystal pale ale pictured)

Attachments

• 20171031_162450.jpg
    20171031_162450.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Back