NZ pale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain crumpet

Reaction score
I have my engagement coming up which i've been brewing for. There are about 90 people coming so have planned for 8x 19L kegs for the event. If anyone can comment on if they think this should be enough beer I'd appreciate it.

The other brews have been tailored for the average beer drinker. Cream ale, something that resembles Carlton Draught but way too much flavour, and a very basic 70% pilsner 30% invert 90min summer addition @20ibu fermented with 34/70. So really a bunch of boring AF brews.

The last brew I wanted something tasty and drinkable by most, and something I could still experiment with. I've never used NZ malt or NZ hops so in the spur of the moment I decided to buy both. With this recipe I'm trying to have the NZ hops shine through, but using small amounts of columbus and citra in the dry hop to add something familiar.

Should I rid the US hops and keep in all NZ? Are these NZ hops a good choice for a pale? IS there too much toffee malt? Does it need the RB for the colour or should I keep it light? Anything you can pick at go ahead, I don't want to try and proudly stand behind a shit tasting beer.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 45.00 l
Boil Size: 58.93 l
Boil Time: 90 min
OG:1.048
FG: 1.011
IBU: 33.4
colour: 6.5SRM
Est abv: 4.8%

Ingredients:
9000.00 g Gladfield American Ale Malt (2.5 SRM) 89.7 %
1000.00 g Gladfield Toffee Malt (5.3 SRM) 10.0 %
30.00 g Roasted Barley (Joe White) (710.0 SRM) 0.3 %
30.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min
30.00 g Riwaka [5.25 %] - Boil 10.0 min
30.00 g Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) [7.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
30.00 g Riwaka [5.25 %] - Boil 0.0
30.00 g Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) [7.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007)
40.00 g Riwaka [5.25 %] - Dry Hop
40.00 g Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) [7.50 %] - Dry Hop
20.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop
20.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop

The 0min additions will be a hop stand at 70c for 30 minutes before being chilled and inoculated.

Perhaps a clone of the 'Panhead Supercharger' - NZ American Pale Ale could be a good starting point. According to their website it uses Centennial, Citra & Simcoe (among others I'd imagine)
Personally I love this beer, full of flavour but easy drinking.

[SIZE=9pt]Panhead sounds good.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Recipe: Pauls Panhead Clone
Brewer: GASH
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Boil Size: 32.06 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.56 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.49 l
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 11.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 65.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Amount Name Type # %/IBU
5.36 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt (5.0 EBC) Grain 1 91.0 %
0.29 kg Gladfield Toffee Malt (10.5 EBC) Grain 2 5.0 %
0.24 kg Gladfield Light Crystal Malt (63.0 EBC) Grain 3 4.0 % Total Grain Weight: 5.90 kg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]12.00 g Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 15.4 IBUs
34.00 g Amarillo [8.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 9.7 IBUs
34.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 15.8 IBUs
23.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 8.2 IBUs
34.00 g Amarillo [8.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10 Hop 8 4.9 IBUs
34.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 Hop 9 7.9 IBUs
23.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 10 4.1 IBUs
69.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
23.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs 2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Mash In Add 16.37 l of water at 72.7 C 66.7 C 60 min Mash Out Add 8.61 l of water at 94.8 C 75.6 C 10 min
Sparge: Fly sparge with 13.98 l water at 75.6 C
[/SIZE]

That brew sounds good but with the hop schedule it is entirely centered around US hops and flavour. I was more geared to making something of New Zealand taste with NZ hops at forefront.

Also looking for critique rather than other recipes. Thank you though. Ive got just over 3 weeks to get this to keg too.

Riwaka and Wakatu are rather 'gentle' hops and may get a bit lost in with Columbus and Citra.. not in a bad way, at all, just masked by 2 heavy hitters, if you have the hops spare, I'd double the late/dry additions of both of the NZ hops

Brewed this recently, It was a bit of a disaster regarding the Crystal malt (got confused at the LHBS and measured out 800g instead of the substantially smaller amount I was supposed to) and came out a bit chewy but still OK.
On the hop side of things however, it was quite pleasant. I've definite plans to brew this again with an amended grain bill.

Grain.jpg

Hops.jpg
Steep Hops are No Chill Cube additions

I did a Wakitu SMASH a little while ago with Gladfield pilsner malt.

First taste I didn't like it, it was very limey and not great. I tucked a few away case it came good. Several months later it settled down and turned into a lovely beer. Very nice, like a pilsner but brewed with an Ale yeast.

Riwaka is good but has a stronger passionfruit flavour, I'm not sure it's too my taste - I think I'd prefer using a New Zealand Cascade, more balanced flavour.

Pic. Wakitu smash below:

WP_20170204_12_45_21_Pro.jpg

1000 gr Toffee Malt?
Seems rather too high for my taste, but hey, it's your beer.
I'd drop it by half, and you'll have a more balanced subtler beer.
As to the hops, I'll leave better brains than mine to comment.

I'd keep it simple and go pale plus a touch crystal, all nz hops, 1272 yeast.

To comment on volume. I had 9 kegs for my wedding with about 65 people and had a bit less than half left over. Approximately 10 guests didn't drink (too young or to old).

I brewed a SMaSH IPA a month or so ago using all Moutere (FKA Brooklyn)

Vital Stats:
  • OG 1.066
  • FG 1.012
  • IBU: 66
  • ABV: 7.1%
  • Volume: 23 L brew length / US 5 Gallon
Malt Bill:
  • 7.2 Kg Wayermann Munich I 100% (Adjust for your brewhouse efficiency)
Hops and Additions Schedule:
  • 20g Moutere at First Wort
  • 30g Moutere in cube
  • Whirlfloc or Irish Moss at 10 minutes
  • 50g Moutere Dry Hop 5 days
Yeast:
  • Dry – Fermentis Safale US-05 (2 x 11.5g sachets)

It came out really quite nice, I gave some bottles out to friends and everyone really enjoyed it.

The keg didn't last long...

You could easily scale it back to a PA and it would still be nice, if not a little more subtle.

Yob said:
Riwaka and Wakatu are rather 'gentle' hops and may get a bit lost in with Columbus and Citra.. not in a bad way, at all, just masked by 2 heavy hitters, if you have the hops spare, I'd double the late/dry additions of both of the NZ hops
Thanks yob, I'll be putting this advice into action.

warra48 said:
1000 gr Toffee Malt?
Seems rather too high for my taste, but hey, it's your beer.
I'd drop it by half, and you'll have a more balanced subtler beer.
As to the hops, I'll leave better brains than mine to comment.
Have you used toffee malt before? There was recent discussion on ahb about quantities and 10% seemed to be the accepted sweet spot. Normally with crystals i wouldn't go over 5%. The grain itself looks a lot lighter than crystals. Maybe if i gave a chew on some i might get a better idea.

Rambo said:
To comment on volume. I had 9 kegs for my wedding with about 65 people and had a bit less than half left over. Approximately 10 guests didn't drink (too young or to old).
Thanks for that. So going by that my quantities should be fine. I may even get leftovers which is pretty exciting.

As for the other recipes, after the engagement i will look into brewing more NZ brews based on them.

What other NZ hop preferences or combos do you people enjoy? Is there particular flavours you can't get out of other hops? NS is the only other one i have used. Tasted winey to me, was different. I used it as a single dry hop in a cream ale and it transformed it completely.

Latest posts

Back