Crystal Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosswill

Reaction score
I've got a recipe that is calling for 55L crystal malt.

I've go some Joe White light and dark Crystal. Which do I use?

It's for a pommy ESB.

Not quite exactly, but you double oL (Lovibond) to get EBC, the Joe White malt colours are here.
Personally I prefer English malt for English beers.
MHB

Ummm, crystal is about flavour, not about colour....

Look at what MHB said

Wes

That's all well and good - but when you are sitting on 10 kgs of JW crystal and a recipe calls for english crystal - I don't run out and buy another brand of crystal just because it suits the style.

Brewing's all about experimenting. Home-brewing even more so

And considering the final flavor depends on your water, salt additions, grains, mashing profile, yeast, temperature, filtering, lagering, sanitation, etc etc - I don't think one should be overly concerned about using a different malt brand. Unless of course you are trying to win medals.

And considering the final flavor depends on your water, salt additions, grains, mashing profile, yeast, temperature, filtering, lagering, sanitation, etc etc - I don't think one should be overly concerned about using a different malt brand. Unless of course you are trying to win medals.

...or just make the best beer you can........ did Rosswill say he was stuck with 10kg of JW Crystal, I must have missed it?.... either way, wouldn't stop me buying the best malt for the job.

I agree to use English crystal in a Uk esb, makes a big difference IMO - however, the original question was which malt do i use out of a choice of 2 that Rosswill had on hand, & the Joe White light was the correct answer.

Cheers Ross

.... either way, wouldn't stop me buying the best malt for the job.
Yeah and look what happened to you Ross - you bought so much malt you ended up having to open up a brew-shop just to get rid of it all :beer:

Thanks all.
I'll use the JW light crystal, and I do not have 10kg of the stuff.

I've got a recipe that is calling for 55L crystal malt.

I've go some Joe White light and dark Crystal. Which do I use?

It's for a pommy ESB.

Off topic but next time you are doing a pommy, get some Simpson's Heritage Crystal :icon_drool2:

Back