Crystal Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disco_tezz

Reaction score
just ignore this topic, i have found my answer

Sorry for wasting peoples time

As the title suggests, How do you use crystal Malt? and how much do you add to a brew?

From what I have read Crystal malt is used for some color, but more for head retention, So how much do I add to my brew to get the benifits of using it?

As for how to use, is it just a matter of steeping the Crystal for 30 min, and then adding it to a 60 minute boil?,

or am i slightly off?
Cheers
Terence
Hi Terence,

Crystal malt can either be steeped or mashed and is used to add colour as well as caramel flavours to your beer. Colours range from around 30 through to 120 SRM (or higher), with the darker malts adding toastier characters. You should not use more than 10% in your brews, with 5-7% being more typical (250-350g in a typical 28L batch).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Michael :)

You're right about colour and head retention. Crystal malts also add different flavours. Steeping in warm water for 30 minutes is the right method. You don't have to boil it for 60 minutes unless you are planning a boil for other reasons as 15 minutes is enough to sanitise the liquid you get from the steep.

Have a read of Palmer for some info on different grains to steep or mash with your extract/kit brews. How much to add and what sort of crystal to add depends on the style of beer you are making. What do you have in mind?

You're right about colour and head retention. Crystal malts also add different flavours. Steeping in warm water for 30 minutes is the right method. You don't have to boil it for 60 minutes unless you are planning a boil for other reasons as 15 minutes is enough to sanitise the liquid you get from the steep.

Have a read of Palmer for some info on different grains to steep or mash with your extract/kit brews. How much to add and what sort of crystal to add depends on the style of beer you are making. What do you have in mind?

Thankyou both for your replys,

The only reason i was going to boil for an hour, was i am going to add my extract malt to the liquid, and then have my hop additions through the 60 minute time frame.

thanks again

Latest posts

Back