Critique please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfWit

Reaction score
Hi peoples, what yeast would work better with the following recipe, 1007 German Ale or 2112 Californian Lager? Looking for a hop hit but I have time to CC so I thought I would try something different. And should I add some crystal to the grain bill? Any input would be appreciated.

19L batch

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.80 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 100.0 %
40.00 gAmarillo Gold [8.50 %] Boil 20.0 min Hop 2 28.7 IBUs
22.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 3.0 min Hop 3 3.2 IBUs
22.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 3.0 min Hop 4 4.6 IBUs 1.0 pkg
14.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop
14.00 g Citra [12.00 %] Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop
Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Bitterness: 36.5 IBUs
Est Color: 7.9 EBC

I'd add say 10% munich and 5% light crystal to balance the bitterness and hops, and use wyeast 1056 (american pale ale).

Yes.. not enough malt in the backbone to balance out your IBU's..
Id go some munich, wheat and a little acid malt to give it some bite..
Im loving caramunich atm, as I find crystal malts too sweet in a APA.

Say I dropped the IBU's down to 25 and added some Munich and a touch of Crystal, would that suit either 1007 German Ale or 2112 Californian Lager better?

WIth that recipe I would add 10% wheat and 5% Amber to balance the 36Ibu rating.

If your looking for something different for yeast from the usual suspects, try Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 with this one, clean & crisp.

I used it for my Oatmeal stout then the LHBS suggestedI try it with a 25ibu midstrength Summer Ale, boom....great yeast.

Ain't no rights and wrongs. Just read the descriptions of the yeasts and decide what you want in your beer. But if you're using a lager yeast - do you have the setup for lagering?

Leave IBU as they are. Add some munich and some crystal or cara munich if you have some. Use california lager yeast at 18 degress.. A nice california common right there!!

I have a fermentation fridge with a heater so I can set and forget. So 10% munich and 5% light crystal. I want to dry hop but I want to avoid the grassy taste, should I add the hops to the fermentor at the start of fermentation or nearer the end?

Avoid dry hopping too long. Avoid hops known to give grassy notes. Dry hop in the cold, post fermentation.

I'm doing well, i have a new yeast, grist and hops, all in the one batch. I have used Amarillo before but not Citra. What would complement Amarillo better, Citra, Mosaic or Calypso?

I love citra and amarillo together, but mosaic would work also. Never used calypso.

I'd go with the Munich and Crystal as mentioned above and ferment with 1007. I've heard of craft brewers in the US using that yeast as their house yeast. Would work pretty well I reckon. Clean fermenting and can accentuate the hops nicely. I was surprised at how much hop bitterness and flavour came through in Cologne Kolschs, compared to the Kolsch style beers you can try here.

Hi guy's, I went the German Ale. The smack pack fully expanded in an hour and the starter is desperately trying to climb out of the 5L Erlenmeyer flask. I think you need more head room for this than you do with the German Wheat yeasts.
Just heading down to the local HBS tomorrow and still undecided about the grain bill. Should I go with...

A)
85% Pils
10% Munich
5% Light crystal

or B)
80% Pils
14% Wheat
3% Munich
3% light crystal

I think the wheat would compliment the hops well but I'm not sure if it will be too busy?

Latest posts

Back