Crash Chilling Fail

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novacastrian

Reaction score
Hey guys i am pretty new to brewing and need some advice in regards to a lager that i recently brewed.

It is a Coopers kit that called for the use of 1kg of sugar, so being me i used .5 kg of dex and .5 kg of light dry malt instead.
Anyway the ferment went good and last night i put the carboy in my 200 ltr freezer to crash down to around 2 degrees before racking off and bottling.

Now i told myself many times that this was not a good idea because i was drunk and thought that i would forget to take it out of the freezer and it would turn into a popsicle. Well i was half right, i did forget to take it out but this morning when my gf said "your beer is frozen" i said "F#$K" and went to check it.

It was not frozen through, it was more like the consistency of a slushy on the outsides and fairy liquid on the inside with ice pieces floating around. I would like to know if this brew still has a chance in hell of carbonating as to my way of thinking the yeasties would have just experienced an Alaskan summer and this could have killed a lot of them.

I have read through some filtering threads in the past and learnt that a brew doesn't need all that much live yeast to carb properly but would like some advice so i dont go and bottle all this only to find out down the track that i wasted my time.

Thanks fellow piss heads.

Okie dokie, thanks for the link mate. It said that if the beer freezes completly that around 20% of the active yeast will remain active. It didn't freeze all the way through so i am guessing that more than 40% of the yeast will still be alright. I won't add anymore yeast and will bottle as normal, conditioning will take longer but what the hell.

Thanks again.

I have done exactly the same thing - had a frozen slurry of crash chilled beer.
I just let it thaw out so that it was all liquid, and then bulk primed and bottled as usual - no problems.

Good luck,

Marlow

Back