Craftbrewer Hoax!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just deleted the hoax email and changed my passwords.

Ross - if the guys doing this are found to be in melbourne, me and a few of my old acquaintances are happy to go pay them a visit ;)

now as for password managers - 1password is brilliant. you can get it for mac, pc, iphone, android etc. highly secure. that way you can have very complicated passwords for every account, email etc and all you have to remember is your 1 complicated 1password password. great stuff for those that dont want a lot of random complicated passwords floating around their head. for those thinking that this stuff is bollocks i remember back in uni (over a decade ago) in a crime and info tech subject a guy from crimtrak coming in and saying that all his passwords were at least 15 numbers/letters as anything less than that was easy enough to hack. that was over 10 years ago. massive advancements in cyber hacking tools since there. remember its not paranoia if its true.

I had my password hacked on craftbrewer site by Ross himself, how safe is that ?? <_<
Nev

Thats interesting as Ross said he didn't have access to passwords???

Concerning what othere information might have been collected.

And, no..It wasnt me. I can barely turn the computer on, let alone develop a hacking website.

These hackers are pretty stupid

If you want to steal money, wouldn't you target Golf Websites or Yacht clubs rather than tight arse homebrewers who max out their cards on 100g of hops

Pehaps they are going to the Guiness World Record of most scammed card declines per hour
Hackers aren't necessarily trying for cc numbers,if a dodgy e mail link is clicked by the recipient lots of things can happen.A keystroke logger can be inserted into the pc,for example,and that gives someone access to everything typed on the compromised pc ,including passwords for other sites,then it's spam heaven for the hacker.Sometimes it might be malware that gives the hacker control of the innocent persons pc and if enough ppl have done the same,the hacker now has a botnet system for DDS attacks.Lots of very nasty things can be the reason for a hack,including the attempt to disrupt /harm a business.Never click untrusted/unknown links.

Speaking as a former debt collector, most people who've bought or sold something on this very website here have left themselves far more open to identity theft than someone who purchased something online from CB.

Brewers,

Website is back up & hopefully will remain unhacked till we get our new website live - The new website is on a much more up todate & secure server, it should have gone live 2 months ago, but they're still having a few issues with the MYOB accounts integration.
The hacker simply used our newsletter service to send out all the spam emails, so it doesn't appear they accessed passwords etc, but as a matter of caution, please change as previously advised.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused, it has cost us a lot of sleep & thousands of dollars in sales, so really hope the IT guys have plugged the gap on their server & we can get on with business & making beer...

Cheers Ross

Went to change my password and the sites still down, or it is for me anyway.

batz

Yep still down here as well. I am not on the newsletter list and did not receive the phishing E-Mail.

Is that when you click on the sponsor logo on top of the page here? I'm not a customer there but the site appears to me when I click,no probs.Haven't tried to register though.

No go for me. :angry:

Guys, if it's still down for you I suggest you clear your browser history (cookies etc.) and you should be good to go. Worked for me, anyway.

Or simply click 'reload' button in chrome when at that plesk page.

OK, so this has finally kicked me off to managing passwords properly with KeePass, but, I cannot find anywhere on Craftbrewer to change password, and if it is simply over typing the current password in the Account section, the password field is not really long enough.....

OK, so this has finally kicked me off to managing passwords properly with KeePass, but, I cannot find anywhere on Craftbrewer to change password, and if it is simply over typing the current password in the Account section, the password field is not really long enough.....

I don't know? How do you change your password?
Perhaps you need to go through the forgot my password trail.

Absolutely. 10 character max, way too short.

Yep,10 characters is very short for safety,up 32 would be way better. I'm wondering if anyone still has one of these emails ? I'm helping Ross out in a way and want to try and get this spammer's website shut down for breaching the terms of his domain host.At the least I'll get him/her put on a worldwide spammer database.I need a copy of the email,complete with headers,as proof of breach.Full headers are all the computer language about the origin of the email,it's a slightly different way to view the header depending on your email type,hotmail,yahoo,etc.Generally "view source" .If someone still has a copy and can send it to me, including headers ,please pm me here.If you've a copy but not sure how to get the header,I'll explain it for whatever email you've got . :)

These hackers are pretty stupid

If you want to steal money, wouldn't you target Golf Websites or Yacht clubs rather than tight arse homebrewers who max out their cards on 100g of hops

Pehaps they are going to the Guiness World Record of most scammed card declines per hour

Haha so true.

Back