Craft Beer On The Sunshine Coast Qld

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azrebb

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm craft brew fan on the sunny coast who also happens to run a bottleshop.

I'm getting a bit over the stale offerings at Dan Murphys Kwana and am thinking about adding a craft beer section to my bottleshop. Is there anyone on the Sunshine Coast interested in this, or will I be the only person buying the stock (not that there's a problem with that)?

It would only be small to start with (focusing on oz and kiwi brews initially) to try and gauge interest but I will be doing my very best to to get in any requests customers might have (so I can try them as well).

Beer on friends, beer on!

Hey everyone,

I'm getting a bit over the stale offerings at Dan Murphys Kwana and am thinking about adding a craft beer section to my bottleshop. Is there anyone on the Sunshine Coast interested in this, or will I be the only person buying the stock (not that there's a problem with that)?

It would only be small to start with (focusing on oz and kiwi brews initially) to try and gauge interest but I will be doing my very best to to get in any requests customers might have (so I can try them as well).

A few Hobgoblins would be a nice start.

TP

Hey everyone,

where you at azrebb?

personally I want to try some TTL

-kymba

Do you have sunshine coast brewery already? If not that's a good place to start.

So there's definitely interest out there then. Excellent!

There's the Sunshine Coast Brewery in Kunda Park. I was already planning to visit them and talk about stocking their range. Got to support the locals after all.

I run the bottleshop next to the NAB in the stockland shopping complex at Caloundra. We don't really have much at the moment (James Squires, Little Creatures and a bit of Monteiths), but I've been given the go ahead to start stocking some more obscure stuff, so I'll start ordering over the next couple of weeks.

And yes, Hobgoblins will be one of those...

@kymba: Sorry, I'm not familiar with TTL. I did a quick google search but didn't have much luck. Any links or more information?

So there's definitely interest out there then. Excellent!

There's the Sunshine Coast Brewery in Kunda Park. I was already planning to visit them and talk about stocking their range. Got to support the locals after all.

I run the bottleshop next to the NAB in the stockland shopping complex at Caloundra. We don't really have much at the moment (James Squires, Little Creatures and a bit of Monteiths), but I've been given the go ahead to start stocking some more obscure stuff, so I'll start ordering over the next couple of weeks.

And yes, Hobgoblins will be one of those...

@kymba: Sorry, I'm not familiar with TTL. I did a quick google search but didn't have much luck. Any links or more information?

Timothy Taylor Landlord ale my friend, good luck with this, it is great to see and wish i had a bottlo with a bloke like you running it.

cheers

Browndog

Definitely interested - although more so in an around Noosa.

Thinking about ordering online as pretty much nothing available here that I haven't already had.

Would love to see:

American Craft Beer
A decent Pilsner
Sour beers

For def be making the trip when you do get some craft brews in, and I'll bring some Pomy expat mates along too.....

I'm in Toowoomba, IMO the best bottle shop in town (no affiliation) is the Spotted Cow Cellars, here's their beer list (the pdf). It may give you a few ideas, I think it is ambitious as far as diversity goes. If I were you I would support and encourage local craft breweries though as much as possible.
One problem all bottle shops with a boutique/ craft section face is slow turnover and occasionally a past- BBE for imported lines, even at the 'good' bottle shops this is a problem. I realise this may not be a simple thing to overcome with tightly sewn- up distribution, but nothing quite puts curious, sometime- beer drinkers off a product like an old, manky, light- struck sample, they should be treated to the best- possible fresh beer, hence I would encourage more local lines over a vast array of imports.
My 2c, hope it helps!

I would like to try some European Pilseners.I will come in after you start off with your Aussie and NZ crafts.

If I were you I would support and encourage local craft breweries though as much as possible.
One problem all bottle shops with a boutique/ craft section face is slow turnover and occasionally a past- BBE for imported lines, even at the 'good' bottle shops this is a problem. I realise this may not be a simple thing to overcome with tightly sewn- up distribution, but nothing quite puts curious, sometime- beer drinkers off a product like an old, manky, light- struck sample, they should be treated to the best- possible fresh beer, hence I would encourage more local lines over a vast array of imports.

RdeVjun makes a good point here azrebb.
From its very start Sunshine Coast Brewery beers have never been really accepted by our local pubs & clubs partly because of lack of any sort of beer knowledge, addiction to the megaswill market but mostly due to the fact that craft beer costs a little more & the average Joe Blow just wants to get his "glow" as cheaply as possible.
Perhaps start of with a couple of beers from Sunshine Coast Brewery that are as close as possible to mainstream megaswill & progress from there but including a small range of imported stuff (Hobgoblin included of course :icon_drool2: ).
Baby steps first. Big steps later.

TP

Epic pale ale from NZ, Alts, White rabbit ,something differant then dans sells would be nice, I am good for a bottle for the trip home from work even if it a pint of LC pale ale.

sav

Might have too venture all the way down that end of the coast at some stage to see what you have got as for suggestions not sure had some nice ones from feral brewing, colonial and bootleg from west oz.

Couldn't agree more TP.
More SCB lines would be more than welcome here, its encouraging to see their Best Bitter from time to time, but I know there's others. A few of them at a bottle shop would be a blip on my radar. Of course, a Hob or two would effect some balance! :chug:
RdeVjun makes a good point here azrebb.
From its very start Sunshine Coast Brewery beers have never been really accepted by our local pubs & clubs partly because of lack of any sort of beer knowledge, addiction to the megaswill market but mostly due to the fact that craft beer costs a little more & the average Joe Blow just wants to get his "glow" as cheaply as possible.
Perhaps start of with a couple of beers from Sunshine Coast Brewery that are as close as possible to mainstream megaswill & progress from there but including a small range of imported stuff (Hobgoblin included of course :icon_drool2: ).
Baby steps first. Big steps later.

TP

The bosses have given me the go ahead. I'm been around the traps and am well aware of the BBD issue. That's why I'm starting small with mostly brews that I want to drink. I can buy them if they're getting a little close. ;)

Another option I've been thinking about is maybe offering them to the regulars at a discounted price. I will be offering a mixed (6 or 8) pack discount to encourage trying various different types.

The list of initial beers I'm working on currently has the Sunshine Coast Brewery range, some choice Epic brews (Amageddon IPA is on there), Hobgoblin, some Feral brews, Montieths, Holgate, Timothy Taylor Landlord (found a distributer), Brewdog (going to try get Tactical Nuclear Penguin), Summer Lightning Ale, and Rogue. Do I have any glaring omissions? Is it an interesting selection?

@barry3: Any particular brands in the euro pilsners? I'm more of a ale kind of guy so my knowledge is lacking there...

@Incider: I wasn't planning on stocking ciders as there doesn't seem to be much of a market beyond Strongbow (bleargh!) but if you looking for something, come see me I'll do my best to order it in.

If there's interest, I could start a bit of an informal club, mostly for email mailouts of new brews and any specials, but we could definitely organise tastings...

Latest posts

Back