Cpbf Pet Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haysie

homebrewing is the art of over analysing
Reaction score
Folk,
I have a Craftbrewer/Morebeer CPBF. It`s great but. I cant work it with the homebrew brown PET bottles, the bung is too small.

It looks a pretty simple fix, wider diameter bung drilled to the diameter of the CPBF stem.
I dont have a bench drill so how can i drill thru a bung successfully and looking at my current bung their are no drill marks evident. I have emailed both Craftbrewer and Morebeer with no luck of an immediate fix but both are checking it out.

I know of the benchtop types available doing PET only, but probably am more interested in how one drills a clean hole thru a bung?
Thanks

i buy them pre drilled :p :p

You mark the centre to drill thru on both sides and then drill carefully wih a much smaller drill size. Would need to clamp the bung in something somehow! See if u got that right mate, then go proper size drill. I'm guessing they bore into those bunts with something different than our domestic drill bits, but then, we're DIYers ;)

And yes, my LHBS has them predrilled.

Predrilled to the diameter of the CPBF stem? or predrilled for an airlock? 2 completely different aminels. Same "what i want"
If i drill using a "drillbit" it wont work.

tell me more ?

My morebeer one did not work with the orignal bung. I went to the local HBS and grabbed a suitable bung with a hole and fit snuggly around the CPBF SS tube ( the wider section at the top just under the PRV) and fit tightly into the PET 2/5 from the bottom of the bung.

Cheers

edit + only cost about $3

My morebeer one did not work with the orignal bung. I went to the local HBS and grabbed a suitable bung with a hole and fit snuggly around the CPBF SS tube ( the wider section at the top just under the PRV) and fit tightly into the PET 2/5 from the bottom of the bung.

Cheers

edit + only cost about $3

Hmmm, the mind boggles. I would have expected an easy fix like this but I cant find a bung that fits the stem, nor could Ross.

You can always take a wide round file to a predrilled bung and enlarge the hole.

im using my fermentor ones, on mine.

Hmmm, the mind boggles. I would have expected an easy fix like this but I cant find a bung that fits the stem, nor could Ross.

This one works fine. Got it at the HBS at Strathpine, I think it is used with distilling but that is a guess? I felt bad that I got the guy to pull out all his bungs while I tested them in a pet bottle and I dont think he had a clue what I was talking about. Couldnt walk out with only a $3 bung so I grabbed a heap of stuff I probably wont use.

P1040504.JPG

P1040506.JPG

Probably cost a packet,,,, cork borer.

All the post`s, thank you. My HBS is 50 minute drive with tollways.
Hoping someone has got it nailed or Craftbrewer and Morebeer come up with something easy peasy.

I thought you deep froze those bungs then drilled them?

+1 for bradsbrew I got mine from LHBS they had solid, pre-drilled, silicon and rubber in about 15 sizes

If you can measure the outer diameter of the steel pipe that you want to slide the bung over, maybe we can look at our bungs, measurethe hole diameter and get back to you :)

I don't see why an equipment manufacturer would intentionally stick you a weird product.

My HBS is 50 minute drive with tollways.
Actually the one 5mins down the road has a collection of pre-drilled bungs, I've brought some from him before.
Take the CPBF and Bottles in and see if he has one that will fit, else most 'science supply' places sell pre-drilled bungs in virtually any size that you desire.

also CLARK RUBBER in Narre Warren have pre drilled bungs in a varity of sizes

Haysie, try a shop that sells distilling gear, they have the bungs predrilled to fit a glass thermometer for a still which has a smaller hole than the ones for brewing as the thermo is quite thin.

Andrew

Edit: pretty sure this one should fit.

Haysie i grabbed one the same as bradsbrew today PM me your address and i will throw it in the mail for you over the weekend out of the kindness of my heart

Haysie i grabbed one the same as bradsbrew today PM me your address and i will throw it in the mail for you over the weekend out of the kindness of my heart

Your a gentleman Bull! I am heading down to HBS now to drop off my Vicbrew entries, I`ll have a look see and PM ya when I get back. Cheers and thanks for above replies guys!

Latest posts

Back