Counter Pressure Bottle Filler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vrtigo

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been contemplating buying a system to allow me to bottle my kegged beer for some time now and have recently been looking into the Counter Pressure Bottle Filler (from now on CPBF) vs Blichmann Beer Gun (BBG) debate.

Managed to borrow a BBG recently and was quite disappointed - the CO2 came out of solution quite readily despite me pre-chilling the stubbies and the whole neck of the bottle quickly became head. This left me with a large headspace in each bottle leading to a significant drop in carbonation as more CO2 came out of solution to fill the headspace (over time while in the fridge).

I have seen a of a CPBF in action and it looks pretty sweet. Was thinking I would buy one but want to hear from some people who have experience in using one.

/end rant

SO, questions are:

How much head space is left in a stubby after removing the CPBF?
Does the CPBF system hold carbonation better than the BBG?
Is there a limit to how long beer should be stored after using a CPBF?
Is a CPBF easy to use, or is it a 2 man job as some have claimed?

Thanks in advance for your responses

Last edited by a moderator:
Beat me to it Batz, cheers.

Yes and welcome to the forum Vrtigo.

To answer your questions in order and I am only refering to the one Batz linked to.

How much head space is left in a stubby after removing the CPBF?
About 5mm, or wherever you turn of the inline

Does the CPBF system hold carbonation better than the BBG?
At a guess I would say there is less loss from a CPBF as it's sealed

Is there a limit to how long beer should be stored after using a CPBF?
I've had bottles 3 mths old that tasted great and were still fully carbed, the trick is to transfer at a higher pressure than the beer is carbed to.

Is a CPBF easy to use, or is it a 2 man job as some have claimed?
Very easy to use by one person.

Cheers
Andrew

I just got feedback from vicbrew a little while ago - for my old ale a couple of judges noted that it tasted nicely aged, but wasn't displaying any cardboardy or unpleasant oxidation characteristics. Going on for 3 years old now and bottled with a CP filler.

Thanks for the quick responses and useful info guys, must admit I probably wouldn't have thought about increasing the pressure when using the CPBF but makes perfect sense.

Along similar lines, do you recommend chilling your bottles before filling?

I havent bothered to chill my bottles so far and havent experienced any excessive frothing. I think that as the beer is filling into the bottle it generally cools the bottle down.
But I also havent had mine for that long and havent bottled in the heat of summer.

my 2c

Cheers
Hewy

Back