Couldn't be a newer brewer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynn2012

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Mark, Flynn is my dogs name! Long time drinker first time brewer from Kinross, Perth. With out any research or time to contemplate, a week ago I raced out and grabbed a coopers DIY kit, Aussie pale, and chucked 45g of cascade and amirilo hops, dry hopped. As I'm waiting for this to be ready to bottle, I thought I'd get started with organising my next, I'll tell ya I love a ridiculously hopped IPA, I have a few ingredients so far, 1.2kg Brewbooster, 1kg crystal light malt, 100g centennial (I want to double this amount with a variety of hops), I'm wanting to stick to cans as mashing just seems too much just yet, tho I am willing to give steeping and hop boil a go. can you all help me get a full flavoured, hoppy APA or IPA, looking for max flavours but whilst keeping it simple. I'm thinking of adding a coopers IPA can, if you all agree.
Thanks in advance

image.jpg

Hi Mate,
I'd steep about 200g of the light crystal ( or leave that out altogether), add about another 750-1 kg of light dry malt extract, the pack of booster and chuck 2-3 packs of US-05 in it and the tin of ipa goop. Give half the hops a 10 min boil in roughly 10 parts water to 1 part malt extract and dry hop with the rest.

wereprawn said:
Hi Mate,
I'd steep about 200g of the light crystal ( or leave that out altogether), add about another 750-1 kg of light dry malt extract, the pack of booster and chuck 2-3 packs of US-05 in it and the tin of ipa goop. Give half the hops a 10 min boil in roughly 10 parts water to 1 part malt extract and dry hop with the rest.
wereprawn said:
Hi Mate,
More sugar and more Yeast, will that not be too much? So 50g of hops with 500ml water with 50g booster, boiled for 10mins?
Thaks for the reply.

Nah. Many IPA's are 6-7% abv. Stronger beers require more yeast cells to do the job. Google Brewers Friend. There is a yeast cell calculator plus lots of other goodies.

You are spot on with the hop boil, though you can use any amount of hops and vary boil times ( longer boils = more bitter less flavour shorter boils = more flavour less bitter).

Thanks man, I'll look in to that and yeh might add the extra Booster. I've looked at a few IPA recipes and notice they all use 3kg + fermentables and are only getting around 5% abv, is this because they only use 1 yeast sachet?

1.7 kg can of liquid (the ipa kit), 1.3 kg of booster and 1 kg of light dry malt extract in a 23 ltr brew will make a beer a bit over 6% abv, the priming sugar in the bottles will add another 0.5 % odd. She'll be plenty strong mate. You need to pitch enough yeast initially to avoid things like stalled ferments ie - the yeast hasn't consumed as much of the various sugars in your brew as it should have, leaving it too thick and sweet, also pitching insufficient yeast can cause the yeast to produce undesirable flavours in the finished beer. You will find some good info on AHB, if you do a site search for yeast pitching rates, from people who know a shitload more about it than i do though mate.

Back