Cost Per Ag Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltedhopalong

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get a bit of a picture of what people are paying per brew.

I expect that there must be a huge difference between those who can crack their own grain and those who can't. Buying grain in bulk is a huge cost saver.

What are your thoughts?

Hi
Just today I bought supplies for my next 3-4brews 12.5kg JW Ale malt & 4x1kg lots of specialty malts + liquid yeast all up $80 and no charge for the cracking , add to that the hops which i bought a while ago $5 per 100gm & it averages out to about $25 / brew. It'l actually be less since I won't use all the specialty malts in 4 brews. I average around $20 per brew & I'm happy with that. I could make it cheaper but then I'd have lots of grain lying around & time involved to crack etc.etc.

I've also worked out that it's cheaper in the long run for me to get the base malts cracked at the HBS than buying a mill.
Cracking 12.5kg cost $2.50 extra , at 4 of these bags a year it's $10 therefor $200 in 10 years & i'd pay more than that for a good mill. I don't see the need to buy one.

Lagers

cheers.

Problem was trying to find AG specific threads - think it was throwing up any thread with AG in it, which, needless to say was a lot.

Sorry, thks for th link.

I_DID_DAFSFFS

I_DDNT_FND_THT_PRTCULR_THRD_SRRY

RDWHAHB

Btw, cheers Lagers. How long is your cracked grain lasting? (err, not as in how long before you mash it, but how long before it goes off, sorry)

I generally kept the malt for about 3-4 months in an old fermenter with the bung & lid on , it seems to last well & haven't noticed problems with flavour or efficiency. I did have a problem in the past when i'd buy 25kg & keep it for 6 or more , that's when i noticed a drop in efficiency towards the end of the grain.

By the way , what's DAFSFFS ? I'd love to know .

Lagers

I generally kept the malt for about 3-4 months in an old fermenter with the bung & lid on , it seems to last well & haven't noticed problems with flavour or efficiency. I did have a problem in the past when i'd buy 25kg & keep it for 6 or more , that's when i noticed a drop in efficiency towards the end of the grain.

By the way , what's DAFSFFS ? I'd love to know .

Lagers

I think I've cracked the code....If you replace all the F's with what you may suspect the F's to stand for, except the second F, then it's pretty much saying "Do a search first, by geeves". :lol:

Back