Cost Of Copper Tube For A Wort Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
I was at the harware shop on the weekend and for $5 a meter i thought the chiller will cost a bomb!

what did others pay, and i gather you contacted a plumbing supply's?
was it a 18M coil you all bought?

I paid about $6.50 a meter from a hardware store...

Sorry dude,

I found mine in the roof of mum's garage, from when dad did an extention to the house about two decades ago.

Linz ...the tight brewer

what a sec so the guys that made 18m coils spent aprox $100 on the coil itself + fittings?

wow i din't think it was so expencive

Only have to do it once correctly.it will last a while!

And to think - a couple of bags of ice is around $5 and you don't waste any water.

This makes my Convoluted Counterflow Wort Chiller at 100.00 USD from St Pats...pretty good value...

:D

I just add ice to my wort to cool it. If the ice is food-grade, and I am topping up with non-sterilised water then whats the diff?

I have heard that most infection from ice comes from the surface which is likely to be 'sanitised' when contacting the hot wort anyway. Cools it down v rapidly.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using ice in the hot wort?

Lots of debate on this topic on the grumpys forum if you can be bothered doing a search on that site. I do it in summer time when tap water is about 25-27C. About half a bag sure gets your wort cool quickly. In winter I put the pot in a cold sink.

Some don't like the idea. But in WA commercial ice is made from sterilised water and, like you point out, is cleaner than my tap water. I've never had a problem from it.

i actually boil water then freeze it in an air tight container then add it to my wort with a bag of ice out side the boiler and lots of cold water it does the trick for my part mashes

being a tropical brewer my part mash temp comes down quick as ive got a 10 litre container of chilled water in the fridge that i pour straight into the fermenter onto the mash results.brings the temp spot into yeast piching range.no lag time at all.
as for copper tubing ive got a pre coiled stash set aside from work. ;) say no more its free.o/t hard at work again

on the cost side of things you guys should ring up blackwoods there in all states and get a price for a length.i reckon they will work out cheaper especially if you are in a trade and ask for trades rates.
see how you go.

I was gunna add that you want to get annealed copper tube that plumbers use.The stuff that comes in straight lengths is a bitch to bend and copper "work-hardens" ie the more you try and bend it the harder it gets to bend

I bought an 18 meter coil of the stuff about 2 months ago. Cost me $65.

Back