Corny Keg Unrefigerated Storage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont do it, but cant you just bulk prime in the keg whilst you are waiting for the rest of your equipment?

Or just throw some dextrose water in the keg (70g) and naturally carb it. The yeast will then consume all the oxygen and carbonate your beer

i'd be worried about my kegs not sealing, then after 2 months finding vinegars not beers :chug:

can you get one of those bike c02 bolb chargers or something at least to seal the keg?

Do you have to burp/purge the keg of oxygen to naturally carb? (I know you obviously don't with bottles, but the amount of headroom would be negligable by comparison.)

Reason I ask is the $200+ co2 cylinder is what's stopping me right now, but in a few months I'll be right to get one.
While it would be ideal to purge the air from the headspace it really isn't a necessity especially when you ar naturally carbing.
The yeast will use up the small amount of oxygen in the headspace and it won't make any bad differences in your beer.
Another reason to give the keg a shot of CO2 after filling is to ensure you have a sealed keg. If you have a leak when naturally carbing the beer the CO2 produced will escape and you will still have flat beer.
Cheers
Nige

i'd be worried about my kegs not sealing, then after 2 months finding vinegars not beers :chug:

can you get one of those bike c02 bolb chargers or something at least to seal the keg?

I can definitely slip a 30~g co2 charger into the immediate budget. Has anyone else used these to burp then seal corny kegs before?

How many bulbs per keg or are they efficient enough to last for a few kegs?

While it would be ideal to purge the air from the headspace it really isn't a necessity especially when you ar naturally carbing.
The yeast will use up the small amount of oxygen in the headspace and it won't make any bad differences in your beer.
Another reason to give the keg a shot of CO2 after filling is to ensure you have a sealed keg. If you have a leak when naturally carbing the beer the CO2 produced will escape and you will still have flat beer.
Cheers
Nige

Thanks for that. As much as I enjoy low carbonated/creamy dark ales, I'm not a fan of completely flat beer!

For now I'm thinking that I'll naturally carb using dextrose or corn sugar (whatever's better in a keg) and use a 30g co2 charger just to pressurise the keg and test the seal.

You don't regulate the gas flow on one of those bulb chargers do yo (no need for a regulator)? It's just a full pressure blast each time you turn it on?

A quick tap on the chargers trigger should do, a full cylinder will dispense about a third of a keg. I'd estimate you could seal 5 kegs off one bulb. But I'm not so sure if it's safe to leave a charger connected to a pierced cylinder and not to a keg

Thanks for that. THe point about leaving a pierced cyl connected while not in use wasn't addressed in the thread, but you would think they they would be designed for multi-use. Even the smaller 8g ones provide plenty of gas to pump bicycle tyres up 50 times over, so it would seem highly wasteful if you couldn't leave a pierced cyldiner connected. I'm applying logic, not science though, which can often lead to disaster :D

Interesting topic..i also would like to store beer in 50L kegs.do a heap of brews and line them up for when i am too busy to brew...How did you go with it?...
Also would the beer age,or condition if stored at room temp and ungassed? Or even gassed?...

cheers mark

You could always transfer your beer a day before it is finished fermenting Gravity 1.020. It will naturally carbonate without adding additional sugar and there will be less "sediment" in the final product.

cheers

tnd

Interesting topic..i also would like to store beer in 50L kegs.do a heap of brews and line them up for when i am too busy to brew...How did you go with it?...
Also would the beer age,or condition if stored at room temp and ungassed? Or even gassed?...

cheers mark

Should be fine so long as you keep it cool. In the back shed during summer probably wont work well.

Just imagine that your keg is just a large bottle.

cheers

tnd

I can definitely slip a 30~g co2 charger into the immediate budget. Has anyone else used these to burp then seal corny kegs before?

How many bulbs per keg or are they efficient enough to last for a few kegs?

I use them to dispense 9L kegs at parties.

At $5 a pop, I certainly wouldn't be using them for that purpose however!! Not when I've got a 2.6kg cylinder than I can just disconnect from my kegerator, attach to the keg, give it 10 seconds @ 300kpa and a burp, disconnect it and she's good to stow away for months. Cost = next to nothing.

Latest posts

Back