Coriander And Camomile Tea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ester Trub

Reaction score
I've just found a recipe for a Belgian Wheat beer that I'd like to try brewing.
It calls for 7g of Camomile tea and 7g of coriander seed at flame out.
The author suggests that he actually leaves these ingredients to steep whilst he's cooling the wort to pitching temp.
Given that I use the no chill method how long do you suggest I steep these for? Just from flame out until I rack to the cube or should I put these into a small hop bag in the cube and leave over night?
I'm concerned that leaving these in the cube over night might be overkill.
Any suggestions?

I've just found a recipe for a Belgian Wheat beer that I'd like to try brewing.
It calls for 7g of Camomile tea and 7g of coriander seed at flame out.
The author suggests that he actually leaves these ingredients to steep whilst he's cooling the wort to pitching temp.
Given that I use the no chill method how long do you suggest I steep these for? Just from flame out until I rack to the cube or should I put these into a small hop bag in the cube and leave over night?
I'm concerned that leaving these in the cube over night might be overkill.
Any suggestions?
its just like dry hopping. your going to want at least a few days in there to get the flavour. of course there is a question of personal taste.
2 methods
1. literally make a tea and add it to the finished wort.
2. throw it into the fermenting wort like dry hopping.

either way it will work.

7g is bugger all. most recipe ive seen for wheat beers with corriander call for like 30g. so with 7g your going to be fine.

I would go the 5 minute plunger method with boiled water - similar to a hop tea.

That should be fine to get the flavour and aroma from those additions, then pitch with your no chill cube onto the yeast.

Or you could leave it until after fermentation has finished then add it just prior to kegging/bottling. Maximum aroma/flavour and the yeast would not have had the chance to strip it during fermentation.

My 2c only.

Maximum aroma/flavour and the yeast would not have had the chance to strip it during fermentation.
yeah i should have clarified that with dry hopping etc you should wait until fermentation is mostly done so the yeast and CO2 production doesnt strip out the flavours.

Here's what I'd do: go down to the garden shed, grab a pitchfork and stab it right into your foot and repeat, "I will not put Camomile into a beer. I will not put Camomile into a beer. I will not put Camomile into a beer." :D

put some orange peel in too

Here's what I'd do: go down to the garden shed, grab a pitchfork and stab it right into your foot and repeat, "I will not put Camomile into a beer. I will not put Camomile into a beer. I will not put Camomile into a beer." :D
really? you dont like it? ive tastes it and like it. Brew like a monk even suggests that one of the producers may use it as a secret ingrediant. actually maybe im thinking of brewing classic styles.....maybe not. someone talks about it. I think it BLaM.

7g of Chamomile is excessive. Assuming a 23L batch or thereabouts.. and if using 7g coriander, I'd do 1g of Chamomile tops (if at all).

Organic whole leaf chamomile flower from the health food shop is best, imo (over a Coles tea-bag, which you would presumably need tear open several).

Can't really comment on additions in no chill as I don't do that but with this style, it's all about balance of flavour (and there's generally a fair bit going on in wit).

Cheers
reVox

I've done one wit, and i used one chamomile teabag, 25g dried orange peel, and 20g crushed coriander seeds. This was for a double batch. F*cked if it wasn't one of the best beers i've ever made, and i will absolutely do it again. Really thought i'd stuff it up, but, i used the 3944 yeast, and even though i used malted wheat, and a little flour ( yep, white flour ), it turned out sensational.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

I've got my Wit in the cube at the moment. I plan on adding 7g camomile at kegging by doing a 3 minute hop tea with my coffee plunger.

When I've done hop teas I've never been concerned about introducing baddies to my beer, but should I be concerned about camomile flowers? Should I boil the hop tea to sanitize it or will that just kill the addition?

Any experience or advice out there?

BIW, first I plan to do a taste test of 1g in 3ltrs water to see how strong the flavour is!

I would boil it for sure. You won't kill the flavour, you normally steep camomile in boiling or near boiling water and it tastes like camomile so I see no problem there. ReVox posted about using fresh camomile instead of tea bag stuff, I agree with him, much better flavour.

I have just added chamomile, coriander seed and zest + juice to a fermenting Wit.

10g chamomile, 20g coriander seed coarsely crushed in mortar and pestle.
Zest and juice of: 3 blood oranges, 2 limes, 1 pink grapefruit.

All ingredients put in a metal bowl with about a litre of boiling water and put in the fridge to chill. Threw that concoction into the fermenter about 24 hours afterwards, which was about a week into fermentation. Once fermentation is finished I'll chill and bottle using the bulk prime method.

I added:
55g zest (2 oranges + 1 lime) in the whirlpool. Tasting the wort, the lime lingers nicely.
10g coriander in the cube.

I pitched 3944 Belgian Wit yeast this morning.

I did a taste test with the comomile and plan to go with 7g flowers infused in about 300ml of boiling water for 5 minutes. I'll then boil for 5 minutes and put it into the fermenter (19L volume) at kegging.

Latest posts

Back