Copper Thickness For Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
I have read lots of threads about chillers and have decided to try an immersion chiller first. Looking at the prices I got quoted from Tradelink and another mob up here for 18m of 1/2 inch pipe the CFC would be cheaper, they wanted $150 to $170 for a roll!

One of the threads I read mentioned a mob called polyaire and had a link to this price page: polyaire prices The thread was a while ago but still looks like 18m of 1/2" is $72 from them. Gave the Virginia,Bris polyaire a ring and they confirmed the price but said it was a lot thinner than the stuff plumbers use which I have used a lot for my herms and other things. I know the 1/2" olives snug up well to the plumbers stuff.

Anybody used the thin walled a/c copper for an immersion chiller? If so, how does it go with fittings and what's it like to bend etc?

Cheers
H

Henno the 12.7mm (1/2") annealed copper is best to make coils for chillers IMHO. IIRC annealed 1.22mm thick wall where as that stuff is 0.57mm (or there abouts). The problem is the wall thickness allows it to crush way too easily so unless you are prepared to fill the pipe with sand (which is a massive PITA ask Tidal Pete) and take it very very gingerly when bending, I would go the normal annealed stuff. At the end of the day it's your call and your wallet but as I found with my mill I should bought better in the first place.

Chap Chap

Edit: Plus on second thought for $129 you can get the MM Mk3 Chillout Plate Chiller with barbs ready to go!

Henno the 12.7mm (1/2") annealed copper is best to make coils for chillers IMHO. IIRC annealed 1.22mm thick wall where as that stuff is 0.57mm (or there abouts). The problem is the wall thickness allows it to crush way too easily so unless you are prepared to fill the pipe with sand (which is a massive PITA ask Tidal Pete) and take it very very gingerly when bending, I would go the normal annealed stuff. At the end of the day it's your call and your wallet but as I found with my mill I should bought better in the first place.

Chap Chap

Edit: Plus on second thought for $129 you can get the MM Mk3 Chillout Plate Chiller with barbs ready to go!
Refrigeration tubing would be 0.81 mm at a bare minimum but most of it would be 0.91mm, if they are supplied as soft drawn copper both could be coiled around a former to make an immersion chiller coil quite easily but you would find a bending spring useful to make the sharp bends at the top and bottom of the coils

Refrigeration tubing would be 0.81 mm at a bare minimum but most of it would be 0.91mm, if they are supplied as soft drawn copper both could be coiled around a former to make an immersion chiller coil quite easily but you would find a bending spring useful to make the sharp bends at the top and bottom of the coils

I stand corrected. Kind of?

Yep your right about the 0.91 but the minimum now is 0.56mm for 12.7 dis apparently because of the soaring copper price late last year. So I guess it's one a piece :icon_cheers: .

http://www.cranecopper.com.au/sizes/as1571-1995.asp

Chappo

I have read lots of threads about chillers and have decided to try an immersion chiller first. Looking at the prices I got quoted from Tradelink and another mob up here for 18m of 1/2 inch pipe the CFC would be cheaper, they wanted $150 to $170 for a roll!

One of the threads I read mentioned a mob called polyaire and had a link to this price page: polyaire prices The thread was a while ago but still looks like 18m of 1/2" is $72 from them. Gave the Virginia,Bris polyaire a ring and they confirmed the price but said it was a lot thinner than the stuff plumbers use which I have used a lot for my herms and other things. I know the 1/2" olives snug up well to the plumbers stuff.

Anybody used the thin walled a/c copper for an immersion chiller? If so, how does it go with fittings and what's it like to bend etc?

Cheers
H

Hey Henno,

Why don't you come grab mine for a month, you can grab the immersion chiller too :icon_vomit:

If you like it then make one. (but I want mine back)

QldKev

I stand corrected. Kind of?

Yep your right about the 0.91 but the minimum now is 0.56mm for 12.7 dis apparently because of the soaring copper price late last year. So I guess it's one a piece :icon_cheers: .

http://www.cranecopper.com.au/sizes/as1571-1995.asp

Chappo

Interesting link, thanks for that.

12.7 x 0.56 based on those pressures and temperatures makes it useless for my refrigeration, Probably OK on Air con intermediate lines provided it's not a reverse cycle unit. I wouldn't be using 0.56 on any of my installs (Mostly R404a and it can easily get to 2800kPa with a blocked condenser.

Not going to make any difference to a CFC or immersion chiller though, the thinner wall thickness will increase your U rating.

Adrian

Latest posts

Back