Copper Pipe As Thermowell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking at using a DS1820 for my temperature sensing and wondered if I could make a thermowell out of copper tube ? That way I could get some heat resistant wire, wire up the DS1820 and shove it down the copper tube.

I spose this would be a better option, but I plan on using 4 temperature (HLT, HE (Water), HE (Wort Out), MLT) sensors for my slow HERMS build.

thanks

Why not buy a couple of stainless steel bolts and bore a hole through the head of the bolt. Jam the DS1820 in the end with some heat conducting paste and seal up the end. Then you simply put a hole in the HLT, push the bolt through and tighten up the nut from the inside of the HLT.

Possibly a cheaper option.

garyd

Good idea there Garyd

but

Stainless is a very poor conductor and the thicker it is the worse it gets. I would think the bolt would be too thick and possible lag to far behind for a HERMS system.

Copper on the other hand is a great conductor but very prone to corrosion and attack by the acidic wort.

Best bet is a thin sheathed thermowell in stainless if you can.

Chap Chap

Stainless is a very poor conductor and the thicker it is the worse it gets. I would think the bolt would be too thick and possible lag to far behind for a HERMS system.

I'd expect that a PID controller should be able to compensate for the overshoot caused by the lag time. The temperature response through a thin-walled copper pipe is going to be very fast but I don't think the response time through a SS bolt is going to be a whole lot less. 'Yes', it will be a little slower but I don't think it will be noticeable.

Copper on the other hand is a great conductor but very prone to corrosion and attack by the acidic wort.

I've got a copper pickup tube in my kettle and haven't noticed any corrosion. Caustic solution is another matter... There are lots of German breweries running copper kettles without too many corrosion issues. I also heard on a Brew Strong episode with Dr Charles Bamforth that a little copper in a system is a good thing as it helps stop some weirdo reaction from occurring.

I could see galvanic corrosion possibly being an issue though.

just my $0.02 worth.

garyd

old corny keg dip tube works well for these, stainless, perfect size diameter wise, just cut it to length and fold the end over neatly.

I'd expect that a PID controller should be able to compensate for the overshoot caused by the lag time. The temperature response through a thin-walled copper pipe is going to be very fast but I don't think the response time through a SS bolt is going to be a whole lot less. 'Yes', it will be a little slower but I don't think it will be noticeable.

Copper is 28 times more conductive than stainless steel that is a fact. Length and thickness effect this of course. But that is significant especially when 1 to 1.5*C of temp difference can wreck havoc on a beer.

I agree a good SSR PID would be able to compensate but why bother having to do all that work for a naff solution?

Besides that drilling a hole in a bolt accurately isn't a job for the average Joe, no? Certainly no a hand drill job IMO. Ok assuming that we have a drill press the best you can do is a 1mm side wall which I am assuming a M8 bolt with a 6mm drill bit. Going to any bigger hole I would suggest you be getting too close to the thread cut.

Anyways here is a little tid bit from Engineering Toolbox to clarify.

Heat conductivity:

A figure of merit for copper is 231

A figure of merit for stainless steel is 8.1

A figure of merit for steel (mild) is 32

A figure of merit for aluminum is 136.

The units are BTU / H * ft * Degrees F.

For a given length of time copper will conduct almost twice as much heat as aluminum and 28 times as much as stainless steel (but only about 7 times as much as regular steel). This is why there are copper bottomed stainless steel pots.

I've got a copper pickup tube in my kettle and haven't noticed any corrosion. Caustic solution is another matter... There are lots of German breweries running copper kettles without too many corrosion issues. I also heard on a Brew Strong episode with Dr Charles Bamforth that a little copper in a system is a good thing as it helps stop some weirdo reaction from occurring.

I could see galvanic corrosion possibly being an issue though.

just my $0.02 worth.

garyd

So you haven't notice the copper pick up tube go from a dull coppery colour before the boil to brighter coppery colour afterwards then? When I had a copper manifold in the MLT I saw this happen every brew day. And yes it is galvanic, usually. Beer is corrosive and it is acidic, no? Obviously a good oxide layer will help to prevent this from happening but maybe take a closer look next you brew?

Yes a little copper is apparently great for yeast health as well. A lot of the big breweries will use a sacrificial copper annode in there systems for this reason but as well as for taste apparently? I have never been employed by a big brewery only done the tours but I have been told by someone that is in the know of this situation, which I have taken on face value.

As for the Germans and copper breweries I wouldn't think that they are as maintenance free as you suggest but I have never worked in one or around one so I can't comment any further. I have however noticed a lot of the modern commercial offerings that I have seen researching on the net are stainless steel lined with a copper sheath to keep up the illusion of grander days at a guess? Maybe there something in that?

Anyway obviously I can't be taken too seriously so here is an except from BYO's website that will help to clarify the situation:

"Copper
Copper has the highest heat conductivity, is easy to form and was traditionally used for making the brewing kettles or coppers. Copper can be readily soldered, brazed and welded with the proper equipment. Soldering and brazing should be more than adequate for most brewery uses.

Copper is relatively inert to both wort and beer. With regular use, it will build up a stable oxide layer (dull copper color) that will protect it from any further interaction with the wort. Only minimal cleaning to remove surface grime, hop bits and wort protein is necessary. There is no need to clean copper shiny-bright after every use or before contact with your wort. It is better if the copper is allowed to form a dull copper finish with use.

However, you need to be aware that copper can develop a toxic blue-green oxide called verdigris. Verdigris includes several chemical compounds cupric acetate, copper sulfate, cupric chloride, etc. and these blue-green compounds should not be allowed to contact your beer or any other food item because they are readily soluble in weakly acidic solutions (like beer), and can lead to copper poisoning (i.e., nausea, vomiting). To clean heavy oxidation (black) and verdigris, use vinegar or oxalic acid-based cleansers like Revereware Copper and Stainless Steel cleanser.

For regular cleaning of copper and brass, unscented dish detergent or sodium percarbonate-based cleaners are preferred. Cleaning and sanitizing copper wort chillers with bleach solutions is not recommended. Oxidizers like bleach and hydrogen peroxide quickly cause copper and brass to blacken; these oxides do not protect the surface from further corrosion, and are quickly dissolved by the acidic wort. Copper and other trace metals are beneficial nutrients for yeast, but the amounts that are dissolved from non-passive oxides can be detrimental to
the batch.

Copper counterflow wort chillers should not be stored full of sanitizer or water. Any biological deposits can lead to corrosion in both water or sanitizer. Copper should be rinsed thoroughly with clean water and allowed to drain
before storage."

old corny keg dip tube works well for these, stainless, perfect size diameter wise, just cut it to length and fold the end over neatly.

+1 Great solution!

Chap Chap

I am going to cut off a thermowell thats welded into my kettle (dont ask why its there). your welcome to it if you want it.

Here is what I have made for my DS1820's made from brass and soldered into 1/2 inch bsp fittings

Franko

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Here is what I have made for my DS1820's made from brass and soldered into 1/2 inch bsp fittings

Franko

Hey Franko,

what wire are you using (cat5) ?

have you put a Gel in the tube ?

Did you pickle your brass bolt :)

cheers
Matt

I am going to cut off a thermowell thats welded into my kettle (dont ask why its there). your welcome to it if you want it.

Hey CM2,

that would be great.

cheers
Matt

Hey CM2,

that would be great.

cheers
Matt
from pic gallery here the first 2 pics show the thermo well. you can see it on the outside of the kettle and the on the inside of the kettle. if i can figure out a way to give you the whole thing i will, otherwise im just cutting off the well from the inside and patching it up.

Hey Franko,

what wire are you using (cat5) ?

have you put a Gel in the tube ?

Did you pickle your brass bolt :)

cheers
Matt

Hey Matt
Yes it is cat 5 cable used no gel in the filling just heatshrink tube used.
The brass bolt is not pickled depends on the application used whether to pickle it or not

The brass bolt is not pickled depends on the application used whether to pickle it or not

ta, I am (planning/building) using a brass T in my mash tun so was going to pickle it.

from pic gallery here the first 2 pics show the thermo well. you can see it on the outside of the kettle and the on the inside of the kettle. if i can figure out a way to give you the whole thing i will, otherwise im just cutting off the well from the inside and patching it up.

thanks let me know.

cheers
Matt

Copper is 28 times more conductive than stainless steel that is a fact. Length and thickness effect this of course. But that is significant especially when 1 to 1.5*C of temp difference can wreck havoc on a beer.
But the temperature difference between copper and SS could only occur during a temperature ramp. Which, as you indicated below is going to be compensated for by the PID.

I agree a good SSR PID would be able to compensate but why bother having to do all that work for a naff solution?

Whats so 'naff' about drilling out a bolt ?

I wrote the original response as one possible solution, not the only solution, or possibly the best solution.

Besides that drilling a hole in a bolt accurately isn't a job for the average Joe, no? Certainly no a hand drill job IMO. Ok assuming that we have a drill press the best you can do is a 1mm side wall which I am assuming a M8 bolt with a 6mm drill bit. Going to any bigger hole I would suggest you be getting too close to the thread cut.

Anyways here is a little tid bit from Engineering Toolbox to clarify.

Heat conductivity:

A figure of merit for copper is 231

A figure of merit for stainless steel is 8.1

A figure of merit for steel (mild) is 32

A figure of merit for aluminum is 136.

The units are BTU / H * ft * Degrees F.

For a given length of time copper will conduct almost twice as much heat as aluminum and 28 times as much as stainless steel (but only about 7 times as much as regular steel). This is why there are copper bottomed stainless steel pots.

Yea, thats all well and good, but you need to consider the SYSTEM that you are measuring. The tolerances within a system moving liquids around, in this case a brew rig, are not so tight that the difference between a temperature copper-encased sensor and and SS encased sensor are that critical. The difference MAY be that the wort temp coming out of a HX is higher than expected for a couple of minutes at the most.

\So you haven't notice the copper pick up tube go from a dull coppery colour before the boil to brighter coppery colour afterwards then? When I had a copper manifold in the MLT I saw this happen every brew day. And yes it is galvanic, usually. Beer is corrosive and it is acidic, no? Obviously a good oxide layer will help to prevent this from happening but maybe take a closer look next you brew?
Umm, I have noticed this. But it ain't galvanic. A galvanic reaction assumes a differing electric potential between two metals. My copper pickup tube is electrically isolated from the rest of my kettle.

Yes a little copper is apparently great for yeast health as well. A lot of the big breweries will use a sacrificial copper annode in there systems for this reason but as well as for taste apparently? I have never been employed by a big brewery only done the tours but I have been told by someone that is in the know of this situation, which I have taken on face value.

As for the Germans and copper breweries I wouldn't think that they are as maintenance free as you suggest but I have never worked in one or around one so I can't comment any further. I have however noticed a lot of the modern commercial offerings that I have seen researching on the net are stainless steel lined with a copper sheath to keep up the illusion of grander days at a guess? Maybe there something in that?

I wish I had one of those. Sell the bugger for the scrap costs !

But the temperature difference between copper and SS could only occur during a temperature ramp. Which, as you indicated below is going to be compensated for by the PID.

Yeah of course it will happen at ramping? What is your point? But why bother in the first place with a solution that you have to do a work around on?

Yea, thats all well and good, but you need to consider the SYSTEM that you are measuring. The tolerances within a system moving liquids around, in this case a brew rig, are not so tight that the difference between a temperature copper-encased sensor and and SS encased sensor are that critical. The difference MAY be that the wort temp coming out of a HX is higher than expected for a couple of minutes at the most.

Maybe for you they aren't. My systems HE ramps at about 1.6*C per minute, so a couple of minutes (assume 2 here) would equate to a +3*C over ramp, which in my books is unacceptable.

Whats so 'naff' about drilling out a bolt ?
I wrote the original response as one possible solution, not the only solution, or possibly the best solution.

Sorry mate but any idea that requires a work around to make it work is not a solution but just another problem.

Besides have you drilled stainless? Thick stainless? You assume that everyone has the equipement to do so. I have a workshop with drill presses, benders, folders, upright geared head mills etc and I would not consider doing this by hand with a drill that will spin about 1000-3000 rpm where you need about 180rpm. Also the accuracy required to drill by hand I would like to see. Let alone hang onto the drill.

Umm, I have noticed this. But it ain't galvanic. A galvanic reaction assumes a differing electric potential between two metals. My copper pickup tube is electrically isolated from the rest of my kettle.

Well if it aint galvanic what is it then? So how did you electrically isolate your pick up tube immersed in basically an acidic water solution conducting between your Kettle and the pick up tube?

Anyway awefully sorry for raining on your parade here mate. Carry on.

Yeah of course it will happen at ramping? What is your point? But why bother in the first place with a solution that you have to do a work around on?

Maybe for you they aren't. My systems HE ramps at about 1.6*C per minute, so a couple of minutes (assume 2 here) would equate to a +3*C over ramp, which in my books is unacceptable.

I think we are starting to go around in circles on this one. A system should not overshoot if the PID is working correctly. I though that was the basic idea of a PID, get to the temp required without under/overshoot.

Sorry mate but any idea that requires a work around to make it work is not a solution but just another problem.

Besides have you drilled stainless? Thick stainless? You assume that everyone has the equipement to do so. I have a workshop with drill presses, benders, folders, upright geared head mills etc and I would not consider doing this by hand with a drill that will spin about 1000-3000 rpm where you need about 180rpm. Also the accuracy required to drill by hand I would like to see. Let alone hang onto the drill.

'Yes' I have drilled stainless before, 'no' I haven't drilled thick stainless and 'no' I'm not assuming everyone has access to the equipment to do so. As I initially indicated, I simply provided an alternative solution to the original posters question, nothing more nothing less.

Anyway awefully sorry for raining on your parade here mate. Carry on.

Got the umbrella here ;)

Anyway, to the original poster, make or buy your thermowell and enjoy making and drinking your beer. :D

garyd

Why not buy a couple of stainless steel bolts and bore a hole through the head of the bolt. Jam the DS1820 in the end with some heat conducting paste and seal up the end. Then you simply put a hole in the HLT, push the bolt through and tighten up the nut from the inside of the HLT.

Possibly a cheaper option.

garyd

Thats all i did! I have temp control for mashing (biab), i bought a couple of 304ss M10 button head cap screws, a couple of 316ss hex nuts (304 and 316 so they dont bind-up) and a few nylon washers. Voila! all that is needed is to drill; a 1/4" hole up the guts of the bolt and your all set!

Thats all i did! I have temp control for mashing (biab), i bought a couple of 304ss M10 button head cap screws, a couple of 316ss hex nuts (304 and 316 so they dont bind-up) and a few nylon washers. Voila! all that is needed is to drill; a 1/4" hole up the guts of the bolt and your all set!

Nice and simple solution. I was just about to go for it, and then i found this:
DS18B20 tank probe on ebay

Thought i'd post it here if anyone is searching for the same.

Cheers from Norway! :)

Franko

Brillant
Making 2 of these next week
One for HLT
One for MLT

Latest posts

Back