Copper Coil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee I just used a couple of hose clamps to connect to my chiller. You could probably even get away with a cable tie.

I use a plate chiller and can get 40lt work down to 30degrees in bout half hour. I then run through my HERMS which is filled with ice water and drop to 15.c. Works great

KHB

So KHB just so i understand your technique (i know I am thick) you run your wort thru the chiller twice?Once with tap water and then with chilled water from your HERMS? I gather your using the HERMS as the resorviour for the plate chiller? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

So KHB just so i understand your technique (i know I am thick) you run your wort thru the chiller twice?Once with tap water and then with chilled water from your HERMS? I gather your using the HERMS as the resorviour for the plate chiller? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Nah i run it through my cileer than it goes through the HERMS coil which has the ice water in it then onto fermenter.

KHB

For those peeps in Syd, the bunnerz in Norwest still have some 6m 1/2" china copper coils for $15 .... :)

just called polyaire and they seem to be out of stock temporarily (they still quote 47.27 +GST).
Called Tradelink and they want $174 for 18m copper coil
plumbers supplies want $95
bunnings still $99
anyone else got any suggestions?

just called polyaire and they seem to be out of stock temporarily (they still quote 47.27 +GST).
bunnings still $99

I tried reece yesterday and they want $154. waiting for my brother to get pricing from his aircon supplier today.

Bunnings randwick had 3m lengths for $15, so for 18m this ends up $90, but then you have to deal with connecting them all.

I might have about 7-8m of an 18m roll of 1/2" available fairly shortly, just finishing off my Herms heat exchanger and then it's good to go.

Cheers SJ

I got 15m of 3/8 coil from polyaire for about $35 2 weeks ago.

The whole thing fis perfect in a 25L brew and drops the temp down to pitching in about 20 minutes with a bit of stirring.

It was another $20 for fittings so I can snap my garden hoses straight on. Alternatively I could probably have just clamped them on with a worm clamp to save some $$.

bunnings still $99

I have one mate finished havent used it I got my plate chiller pitty your not in QLD mate

cheers for the replies!!!
spoke to polyaire and they have ordered more in for me, but they dont stock the hard drawn. So my mate whos a plumber is just going to borrow some from work...
already have all the elbows and compression fittings from bunnings, so should be able to nock it up next weekend!
Cheers!

i made a chilling coil for my set up i found that anealled copper works better because it is easier to handle, as it is pre softened. I just used a piece of 200mm electrical condiut ( not everybody will have access to this i know ) to form the shape and just silver soldered it together.

i made a chilling coil for my set up i found that anealled copper works better because it is easier to handle, as it is pre softened. I just used a piece of 200mm electrical condiut ( not everybody will have access to this i know ) to form the shape and just silver soldered it together.

A corny keg is 220mm or there abouts and works equally well. (I guess not everyone will have one of those either)

Latest posts

Back