Copper Coil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderchild

Reaction score
Hi Group,

I need to source 2 x coils of copper, I need enough to two wortchillers. Is bunnings my cheapest option or is their a better supplier?

Thanks in advance.

TC

Hi Group,

I need to source 2 x coils of copper, I need enough to two wortchillers. Is bunnings my cheapest option or is their a better supplier?

Thanks in advance.

TC

Try PHD at Loganholme and or Labradore and or Tradelink at Underwood or Nerang (I think they are still there)

PHD here

ARCHERFIELD:
3/166 Beatty Road ARCHERFIELD QLD 4108
Phone: (07) 3274 1104 Fax: (07) 3274 1015
Manager: Bradley Stephens 0414 361 334

LOGANHOLME:
1/19 Pintu Drive LOGANHOLME QLD 4129
Phone: (07) 3801 2766 Fax: (07) 3801 2788
Manager: Adam Poole 0434 609 574

LABRADOR
2/20 Gibbs Street LABRADOR QLD 4215
Phone: (07) 5563 9244 Fax: (07) 5563 9266
Manager: Steve Goode 0438 786 268

Tradelink have this only - 1800 BATHROOM ( 1800 228 476 ) for your local branch

They should have everything you want at 1/2 the price of bunyips IMO. Should also have the copper coiled which may help what your trying to make. They will have all your pressure/olive, 90 deg corners fittings as well.BTW you will need on of these a pipe cutter.

gallery_9761_435_26887.jpg

it does this very easily...

gallery_9761_435_3278.jpg

You can rent one from me for one of your finest beers! :D

There was a bloke selling bulk lots of 18M copper coils on ebay very cheaply recently - never got it together to arrange for a bulk buy...... slightly regretting it now.

-J

I very recently bought an 18m coil of 1/2" copper from Binnings for $99. Only used half for the chiller, and this works nicely in the 50 litre kettle.

Cheers,
Jake

It's seems that Chappo knows his stuff, so go with what he's said. :)

I found that 3/8inch copper pipe was about 1/2 the price at a refrigeration/air cond supply shop than the 1/2 inch stuff at Bunnings, it will also allow me to make a counter-flow chiller much more easily, and yes the pipe cutter will be an invaluable tool, trust me on that - I don't have one yet. :(

*In best Yoda voice*
Hmmm....Copper...Yes.....decision make, you must.
The force you must use.......Avoid Darth Bunnings if you are to succeed
Try a plumbing supplies store young Beverage Jedi....
:lol:

Try PHD at Loganholme and or Labradore and or Tradelink at Underwood or Nerang (I think they are still there)

PHD here

ARCHERFIELD:
3/166 Beatty Road ARCHERFIELD QLD 4108
Phone: (07) 3274 1104 Fax: (07) 3274 1015
Manager: Bradley Stephens 0414 361 334

LOGANHOLME:
1/19 Pintu Drive LOGANHOLME QLD 4129
Phone: (07) 3801 2766 Fax: (07) 3801 2788
Manager: Adam Poole 0434 609 574

LABRADOR
2/20 Gibbs Street LABRADOR QLD 4215
Phone: (07) 5563 9244 Fax: (07) 5563 9266
Manager: Steve Goode 0438 786 268

Tradelink have this only - 1800 BATHROOM ( 1800 228 476 ) for your local branch

They should have everything you want at 1/2 the price of bunyips IMO. Should also have the copper coiled which may help what your trying to make. They will have all your pressure/olive, 90 deg corners fittings as well.BTW you will need on of these a pipe cutter.

gallery_9761_435_26887.jpg

it does this very easily...

You can rent one from me for one of your finest beers! :D

You Legend Chappo!

LB

Will be bottling some of finest this evening which should be ready for said barter :chug:

It's seems that Chappo knows his stuff, so go with what he's said. :)

I found that 3/8inch copper pipe was about 1/2 the price at a refrigeration/air cond supply shop than the 1/2 inch stuff at Bunnings, it will also allow me to make a counter-flow chiller much more easily, and yes the pipe cutter will be an invaluable tool, trust me on that - I don't have one yet. :(

I don't know about that Wolfy but ta!
I would do exactly as you have done the 3/4 aka 19mm tube. More surface area and if your using a pond pump to recirculate water it will flow better without adding too much back pressure IMO.

*In best Yoda voice*
Hmmm....Copper...Yes.....decision make, you must.
The force you must use.......Avoid Darth Bunnings if you are to succeed
Try a plumbing supplies store young Beverage Jedi....

Bwahahaha! Very good! :lol:

Copper prices (like most) metal prices have been tumbling as of late (60% odd) so your trade centres are much more in tune with that situation than Bunyips who really don't give a flying toss about Traddies (we are too tight to get ripped off) and rather sell to Mum's and Dad's who don't know any better.

EDIT: Give us a call tonight on the mobile and we will organise something to get this sorted for ya mate.

The hardware stores shoot for big bucks on copper products. Give them a miss and try polyaire for the best prices on copper tubing.

http//www.polyaire.com.au/

Apologies in advance, this would be getting a bit off topic. Those pipe cutters:

are just fantastic bits of kit and they also cut stainless pipe with ease as well. I scabbed one from work over the weekend a while back and was outfitting my lager fridge with a bubbler vent as it was a teensy bit cramped (it was only a bar fridge at the time, is bigger now). To my complete surprise and with me for some reason not paying enough attention, it was like the proverbial hot knife and was through the job in a jiffy. Moreso to our wee maltese Munchkin's surprise when it sliced through the pipe quite unexpectedly and, with her hanging around, sniffing underfoot and being the smart, brew- minded and inquisitive type, it dropped fair on her teensy little head. The poor mite thought the sky had fallen on it, you should've heard the noise! :blink: Man, I thought I'd done her in!
But thankfully, to her credit, she still hangs around on brewday and when I'm tinkering, so you really can't fault her enthusiasm or commitment! Good dog, I tell her, bl**dy good dog!
We use the bigger models at work for heavy 2" gal pipe, takes a bit more grunt, but if you're way out in the bush and a hacksaw is the only other cutting option, I know which one I'll be reaching for! Just watch out for the sharp edges when you're done...

The copper prices on this link from polyaire are dam cheap! Well done, good find.

Not sure if you need a trade account to secure them though. Sometimes suppliers can be brutal to walk-in purchasers.

To be honest, I use a hacksaw on all copper over 1". Little tube cutters are good on 1/2" and 3/4" Remember to use a de-burring tool to rheem out the inside, as the cutting wheel will fold the tube in, and you can loose 25% internal diameter without realising. Or just stick something - like the corner of a pair of shifters in the inside and twist back and forward to open up the inside.

Cheers.

Wilbier

Bunnings Morayfield as of the weekend:-

1/2" Soft Drawn Annealed 3m Coil - $15.00
1/2" Soft Drawn Annealed 6m Coil - $27.00
1/2" Hard Drawn 6m Length - $47.00-ish (IIRC - within $5, it was under $50 anyways)

Hope that helps with price comparison.
Cheers
Sully

The copper prices on this link from polyaire are dam cheap! Well done, good find.

Not sure if you need a trade account to secure them though. Sometimes suppliers can be brutal to walk-in purchasers.

To be honest, I use a hacksaw on all copper over 1". Little tube cutters are good on 1/2" and 3/4" Remember to use a de-burring tool to rheem out the inside, as the cutting wheel will fold the tube in, and you can loose 25% internal diameter without realising. Or just stick something - like the corner of a pair of shifters in the inside and twist back and forward to open up the inside.

Cheers.

Wilbier

No need for a trade account prices quoted on their site is just that. Of course if you buy in quantity that would qualify you for a discount. Fifteen metre coil like this 46 bucks ex tax

View attachment 25290

Well, it's no cheaper than what I paid at Bunnings a coupla weeks ago.

Bunnings prices have are becoming more competitive lately. But not that long ago you'd be paying triple what Polyaire charged. I've just walked in and bought the tube over the counter, no trade account required. However, with all these kind of places it's best to know exactly what you want and get to the point rather than asking them a lot of questions. I know that some places can get a bit uncooperative if they think you are going to be using it for illegal DIY work.

What do you guys use to put fittings on the end to attach to the water hose?
Are they welded or the ones that use a flared end?
And if flared, how is this done cost effectively?

What do you guys use to put fittings on the end to attach to the water hose?
Are they welded or the ones that use a flared end?
And if flared, how is this done cost effectively?
A simple compression fitting with reducer then garden tap fitting.

10032009.jpg

Latest posts

Back