Coopers Yeast In A Red Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elec

Reaction score
I'm looking to put down a red ale shortly, following either Screwy's or Yardglass' recipe. I have a goodly supply of healthy Coopers yeast in the fridge at the moment, and was wondering if it would be suitable.
Your thoughts?

Regards

Coopers yeast would be good, but if you want to go true to from with red ale, geta wyeast scottish or irish ale yeast

Coopers yeast would be good, but if you want to go true to from with red ale, geta wyeast scottish or irish ale yeast

Did a red ale using US 05 and was uninspired. Just guessing Coopers may produce a similair result. Both are quite neutral yeasts and are better suited to other styles of beer (eg pale ales). Same recipe fermented using Whitelabs Edinburgh Ale was a stunning change. That yeast (as with Wyeast Scottish or Irish) seemed to add character to the result. More malt flavours stood out which is good given this is a low bitterness beer.

No way would I put a recultured Coopers bottle yeast in the same bracket as US05.
Much more estery IMO and would add some yeast character to a Red.
I do agree though that a Scottish or Irish Ale yeast would be a much better choice.
Cheers
Nige

Thanks for the reply gents. I've used 1084 before with success, but due to our location, buying liquid yeasts is a risky proposition , at best. I have a 50/50 strike rate so far of the ice brick pack arriving late via express post, (= hot), thus complely rooting the contents.
Since my OP, a work collegue has planned a work junket to a radiator engineering works outside Adelaide, and he has offered to pick up some smack packs for me, and fly them back with him. Who deals in Wyeast/Whitelabs in Adelaide?

Regards

Coopers yeast in a Red sound quite interesting, think you might be on to something. Tempted to try it myself, reckon it would work well as long as you keep the mindset of not trying for an Irish Red.

Also just in case Nige doesn't have what you need when your mate is in town. Give Beerbelly a go they always have large range of Wyeast in stock not just the popular strains.

Slightly off topic.

I have a Michael Jackson book at home which goes into the old Cooper Sparkling. Apparently it had a red hue that came from blending in some of their stout. Will have to look it up again.

Coopers yeast in a Red sound quite interesting, think you might be on to something. Tempted to try it myself, reckon it would work well as long as you keep the mindset of not trying for an Irish Red.

assuming it was re-cultured from a commercial Coopers ale, a warm fermented red (say 20-22c) might be an interesting brew. As Nige says, it'll throw some fruity esters in. And as long as you are looking for that (and not a more traditional "irish" red) why not. I don't know a lot about recultured Coopers at low ale temperature (16c) - does it throw esters as much as at higher temps?

Thinking I might file that away until such time as 1. I have some re-cultered Coopers 2. I want to make a mild red. Thinking a mid strength mild, cranked up with carared might make an interesting variation on the english mild theme.

I proper Irish or scottish yeast will add a slight tart flavour, which really helps make the beer

Sorry if its 1084 Wyeast its too dry in the finish unless you belt in some non ferment-ables and mash appropriately.Scottish I think would be the best choice but thats only based on my tastes.
Nev
Nev

Back