Coopers Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mornin all... digging up a fairly old one, what volumes of c02 should I be aiming for with one of these, keeping in mind that SWMBO likes em less rather than more carbed... 2.2 - 2.3?

Windsor or Can yeast from those that know?

Yob

(SWMBO's doing well out of the new brewery :rolleyes: )

Throw the can yeast out...

Windsor might fail to attenuate enough. If you only have a choice of the two, really... Use both the kit yeasts. Yes this goes against what I first wrote... If there is a LHBS nearby, get some S-04 = winning

As for carbonation, if bulk priming, somewhere around 110g dextrose for a 'normal' size batch... read: 20L~ish or around 2 vols.

I have done the Bribie Headbanger stout a few times now and I use s-04 and carb to these levels. Delicious but beware, it knocks your headoff...

Nev

The windsor Im currently using is a good finisher, finished down to 1012 in a dark ale in 2.5 days!!

Took me by surprise that did.. was expecting trouble but must be a good batch :unsure:

usually all kit yeast goes in as nutrient, was just going on what was previously posted.

Yob

The windsor Im currently using is a good finisher, finished down to 1012 in a dark ale in 2.5 days!!

Took me by surprise that did.. was expecting trouble but must be a good batch :unsure:

usually all kit yeast goes in as nutrient, was just going on what was previously posted.

Yob
I love the windsor yeast. Even if it does finish on the higher side, I love the body that comes with it.

Yeast I have on hand is

US-05 (Dry and Harvested)
Windsor (still in FV but will be washing it later today + one in the fridge)
Nottingham (in the Fridge)

I dont trust S-04 so won be going down that road.

Happy to get a Coops starter going if that is the advisable way to go.

Yob

Yeast I have on hand is

US-05 (Dry and Harvested)
Windsor (still in FV but will be washing it later today + one in the fridge)
Nottingham (in the Fridge)

I dont trust S-04 so won be going down that road.

Happy to get a Coops starter going if that is the advisable way to go.

Yob

To keep things simple, I'd use the Notto. Got to remember, two kits and a kg ea of LDME and Dextrose is going to be a rather large beer and you won't want it to finish high otherwise it'll be like syrup. Notto chews through high abv beers and will usually finish dry enough for a beer of this size!! I regularly experience 80% aa with recultured Coopers yeast so that too is an option, but if you are after no fuss stout (personally I wouldn't bother with the reculture in a beer this big.
You won't experience the benefits of this great yeast when faced with 9% beer) go with the Notto!

Ohh, and if you have them on hand, use some late English hops like fuggles or EKG in a small boil and even a dry hop... It makes a big difference!!

Nev

Latest posts

Back