Coopers Pilsener Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akav

Reaction score
This relates to the other thread I started about the Pilsener colour ...

I started brewing at a far too high temperature (26C) and the temperature has remained close to this for the past week, maybe dropping to 25C or so. If I can now lower the temp and continue fermenting for another week, would that be beneficial, or has all the damage already been done?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Damage is done, at that temp I would guess the brew would be close to finished in the first 3-4 days.

I wouldn't be throwing it out though before giving it a good taste, now, once bottled kegged and then again in a month or so, it might come good.

just drink it anyway. my first brew i remember was fermented between 26c - 28c :blink: and i still finished all 30 longnecks. it was still dinkable but not ideal. having tasted 30 of them though made the next batch taste all the better, when i began paying attention to fermentation control.

I did a Canadian Blonde (beer) in early December that steam trained, ie sat at 26-27 deg for the first 2 days until I could get it down to 22. It finished in 4 days but after a month in the bottle came good, not great but ok to drink. It still is a little fruity but tastes fine for quaffing.

Thanks for the input.

The strange thing is, even though it's beeen brewing at a pretty high temperature, the rate of fermentation doesn't appear to have been very high. It never bubbled very vigorously, just intermittently at a pretty steady pace. Now, after a week, it's slowed down somewhat but hasn't completely stopped. Just hope it's the yeast that's working and not some bug ... is there any reliable way of telling whether it's infected?

The yeast, by the way, is the stuff that came with the kit. I just sprinkled it on, didn't bother about rehydrating.

Age it.....i had a few Coopers brews that a mate of mine had brewed in the high twentys, Lager and Bitter. At 8 months old they are pretty good. As good as any Coopers products you can buy.

Aging kit beers is the key to enjoying them.

Back