Coopers Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket_fuel

Reaction score
gday,

Ive just put in a brew and it looks rather dark for its name, pale ale! Is this normal? Its been about 4 hours since adding the yeast and its not bubbling yet either!

Relax, dont worry, have a home brew :beerbang:
Mate, pale ale is basically a name, and can cary from pale to amber/brown. The yeast will start to work its magic over the first 24hrs, just make sure ya sanitise well when making a brew, screw the lid on, and all will be honky dory. Even if the airlock doesnt bubble, it could still be fermenting, just have a peek through the top of the lid, and if there are bubbles on top of the beer, or a ring of scum forming around the inside of the fermenter, or even condensation on the inside of the lid, then it is fermenting. Never judge if yer beer is fermenting just by the airlock. I have about 7 fermenter, and only 2 or 3 have airlocks that work.
Oh yeah, read that first sentence again.
All the best, and have some patience! Your beer should be ready in about a week. Plenty of time for a newbie to start going through all the forums, and reading the "airlocked" threads. they are airlocked for a reason - spend a few hours each night reading them, and by the time your beer is ready to bottle, you will probably know more about brewing than I know.
Trent

Relax, dont worry, have a home brew :beerbang:
Mate, pale ale is basically a name, and can cary from pale to amber/brown. The yeast will start to work its magic over the first 24hrs, just make sure ya sanitise well when making a brew, screw the lid on, and all will be honky dory. Even if the airlock doesnt bubble, it could still be fermenting, just have a peek through the top of the lid, and if there are bubbles on top of the beer, or a ring of scum forming around the inside of the fermenter, or even condensation on the inside of the lid, then it is fermenting. Never judge if yer beer is fermenting just by the airlock. I have about 7 fermenter, and only 2 or 3 have airlocks that work.
Oh yeah, read that first sentence again.
All the best, and have some patience! Your beer should be ready in about a week. Plenty of time for a newbie to start going through all the forums, and reading the "airlocked" threads. they are airlocked for a reason - spend a few hours each night reading them, and by the time your beer is ready to bottle, you will probably know more about brewing than I know.
Trent

too true, patience is a vertue! wish my last brew was ready too try :( ill just have a commecial beer lol :chug:

too true, patience is a vertue! wish my last brew was ready too try :( ill just have a commecial beer lol :chug:

Drinking a James Squire India Pale Ale left over from a party - very amber in colour. If you want a "pale" pale ale, try a blonde beer (a real one and not that low carbohydrated crap currently infecting the Aussie beer market)
And welcome to the AHB Rocket Fuel .. enjoy the experience

Hey rocket fuel,

Man we're in the same boat but slightly different! I just put on a coopers pale ale and int he fermenter it will always look dark when u look down on it coz of the depth. However, when u take a bit out, from the tap say, and put it in a glass it will be a lot less dark and more the coopers pale ale colour you are expecting.
Also, maybe the yeast strain they give u in that kit is wierd, coz i have had it fermenting for 5 days now and the airlock seldom bubbled. However, i peeked in and there is a ring forming and all what the other people said, i took a gravity reading and im resting assured it is fermenting... Hang tight...
If u dont believe it, skull a pint in a few days and see if u get that nice alcohol warm tingle ;-P

cheers

I am currently brewing a Coopers Pale Ale but it is doing the opposite. Bubbling was occuring steadily for 5 days and even close to two weeks it is still bubbling once every two minutes.

Hey rocket fuel,

Man we're in the same boat but slightly different! I just put on a coopers pale ale and int he fermenter it will always look dark when u look down on it coz of the depth. However, when u take a bit out, from the tap say, and put it in a glass it will be a lot less dark and more the coopers pale ale colour you are expecting.
Also, maybe the yeast strain they give u in that kit is wierd, coz i have had it fermenting for 5 days now and the airlock seldom bubbled. However, i peeked in and there is a ring forming and all what the other people said, i took a gravity reading and im resting assured it is fermenting... Hang tight...
If u dont believe it, skull a pint in a few days and see if u get that nice alcohol warm tingle ;-P

cheers

I agree with this. Quite often I put a beer on and it looks like a stout when it's in the fermenter but when you bottle it up it's colour is much lighter. It's because when it's in the fermenter there is a large thick mass of it which light does not penetrate as easily. When in smaller volumes the light gets through and reveals the truer colour of your beer. So you'll probably find your pale ale is lighter than you think.

I am currently brewing a Coopers Pale Ale but it is doing the opposite. Bubbling was occuring steadily for 5 days and even close to two weeks it is still bubbling once every two minutes.

Hi Dav22, mine was doing the same thing but I took a reading over two days and it was 1006 both times so I kegged it last night. Gas up in about another 5 minutes. Sampling tonight. Approx Alcohol 7.9% ;)

Hi Dav22, mine was doing the same thing but I took a reading over two days and it was 1006 both times so I kegged it last night. Gas up in about another 5 minutes. Sampling tonight. Approx Alcohol 7.9% ;)

Hey Cracka, mine was at 1014 lastnight and two nights previous was at 1022. Not sure if I'll make it to 7.9% though, yours sounds like it will be a cracka :D .

Historically speaking "Pale" means not black. Up until a few centuries ago all they knew how to make was black beer because they would always burn the malt when it was kilned, or so I'm led to believe. The industrial revolution brought us many wonderful inventions, one of them was the ability to kiln malt without burning it, and pale malt was invented.

Anything less dark than Tooyees Old was to be considered "Pale". If you ever make a truely black beer (which I heartly recommend ) you will see the difference, they are really BLACK in the fermenter.

On getting bubbling starting early, Muntons kit instructions recommend 'hydrating' the yeast beforehand, by just stirring it into a cup of ROOM TEMPERATURE water for a few minutes before adding. I stress room temperature, cold tap water is too cold, hot water from the jug will kill your yeast, so mix tap water with A LITTLE hot water to get something you would bath a baby in, say 25 deg C, and use that. If you have a thermometer, now is the time to use it!

This method seems to work on the Muntons kit yeast, I get good bubbling started overnight.

Hi guys put down a coopers lager last sunday week tried to lower the temp only using generic yeast it got stuck so brought the temp up to 18* C fermented well, airlock stopped last night, took a reading today O.G. 1063 now 1014 about 7% nnniiicccceee.
:chug:

How do you get coopers lager that strong, do you mind sharing you receipe? ive got a coopers pale in still (put finnings in 2 days ago and sg hasnt dropped but says it should from 1010 when added to 1005 after 3 days from adding) and i thought there was something wrong with the brew only because of the difference in colour compared to the coopers lager b4 that was nice and light but there you go :) you guys are right on the money hey, cant buy experience.

I agree the wort can be deceving when brewed thats y this tread was started lol, but when I took the first hydro reading and it was a nice amber colour with alot of fizz I felt better! also the yeast went crazy on the froth when i added it and the air lock didnt bubble for nearly 30 hrs after brewing but after that it went flat out for 4 days had to fill the bloody airlock up 3 or 4 times.

P.S. cheers 4 the welcome fat, which blonde would you recommend thats commonly over here in wa, the coopers one say?

P.S.S. Nice history lesson robbomc, you learn something every day

Latest posts

Back