Coopers Pale Ale Yeast Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used this yeast many times and have had great success at 16C

Only got bananas in of my earlier attempts at 20C,

Its a great yeast and even at 16C you still get that subtle apple/pear character.

As far as sugar goes I would find it difficult to believe they are able to get the level of attenuation they do without it.

BB

Honestly I have not actually made a 22 degree batch. I have done a 20 for a draught beer, and didn't find it that fruity. (this was to be a Pale Ale but my brew room didn;t agree with ingredients on the day) From what I have read I think 22 would be good for a fruity beer like Pale Ale. I could be totally wrong, and 22 may be completely over the top for fruity flavours.

Also I do tend to perfer most my beers fermented a degree or so higher that most.

mmm thinking I may have to try this in 2 weeks when I do my next brew run (I just put 2 fermentors in the brew fridges tonight)

QldKev

Just another point about Coopers and sugar...

Wasn't it one of their advertising selling points on the release of their "Mild" that it was
"All malt" ?????
Like it was something particularly significant with this beer, or in other words "not something they ordinarily do"

Cant remember exactly...

Cheers
BB

I think that is common amongst us Bundy and far north brewers to like a bit more ester. We have become used to it in our HB experience. I must however disagree with your temperature recommendation and say that I was not impressed by the level of ester and fusel I got at 20C. I have also heard from other brewers who had the same experience. I tried 18C and it still was not quite right, but at 16C is hard to tell from the real thing! This is not only my opinion, but there are no less than 3 other people who have sampled these brews and agree with me (I come from a family of home brewers who like to share!).

I also realise there are other factors that can impact the outcome, but I have now done 3 CPA clones at 16C and all have been excellent!

I think I might try a 5L batch at 16, 20, 22 using the same recipe. Will be a fun experiment. Aust Pale ale is the melbourne brewers current club brew so I will be able to get them judged. Never brewed one and never put my beer up for a tasting, so that will depend on whether they are drinkable ;0 Anyone willing to part with an all grain recipe for a coopers style ale.

Coopers is like diesel here in Victoria, no bubbles, no life, no head, bugger all anything. Do they just send us Vic`s all the bad ones? <_<

I am yet too taste a good one, Saying that Boiler Boy and AndrewQLD have had good results from previous post`s.

Haysie

The lager, mild and light all say 'All malt' on the label like its a badge of honour implying that the others contain sugar. As others have said, to get a final gravity in the 1.007 range requires the addition of sugar. I believe they have a 'silo' full of liquid sugar at the brewery. Is there a mega brewery in this country that doesn't use sugar?

All the info i have read suggests CPA is fermented at 16 with a HUGE volume of yeast enabling it to ferment in 3 days flat. I have tried this yeast at 20-22 in the past and did not like the results.

I have a batch of CSA in the ferment fridge now at 16C and its chugging along nicely.

As for the starter, the ideal temperature for yeast is near on 30C. Not ideal for beer making but perfect for yeast orgies. Just tip the beer away.

Back