Coopers Pale Ale With Cherry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackemup

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am new to brewing and decided to try a cherry ale. I bought a tin of coopers pale ale as the base and to this i added 20g pride of ringwood hops (boiled for 40 min), 700g ldme, 300g dex and used yeast reconditioned from a cpa stubbie and made it to 20 ltr. I let it ferment for 8 days @ 17c before racking to secondary and adding about 3.5 kilograms of sour morello cherries. How long should i leave it in secondary? did i add too much cherry? any advice/feedback would be much appreciated.

I did a brew with coopers lager tin, 1.5kg dry wheat malt, 15g hallertau at 10min and S04 yeast. racked onto 1 kg of cherries (not sure what type, got them from inlaws frozen, heated them in water in a pot from cold to near boiling). turned out magic! I reckon yours will be nice ith stronger cherry flavour. Pours a thick slightly pink head!

[quote name='Rack'EmUp' post='482511' date='Jun 25 2009, 05:48 PM']Hi everybody, I am new to brewing and decided to try a cherry ale. I bought a tin of coopers pale ale as the base and to this i added 20g pride of ringwood hops (boiled for 40 min), 700g ldme, 300g dex and used yeast reconditioned from a cpa stubbie and made it to 20 ltr. I let it ferment for 8 days @ 17c before racking to secondary and adding about 3.5 kilograms of sour morello cherries. How long should i leave it in secondary? did i add too much cherry? any advice/feedback would be much appreciated.[/quote]

That's a nice wad of fruit. I do a cherry/berry ale with a Coopers Real Ale kit, and black cherries and frozen raspberries and I have never used more than 2kg of fruit - simply because of cost.

I reckon that is an excellent amount of fruit.

I would leave for a minimum of 7 days in secondary. Also be wary of tap clog... I had a nightmare once with the fruit getting stuck in my tap. Should have used a hop sock/stocking for the fruit.

That's a nice wad of fruit. I do a cherry/berry ale with a Coopers Real Ale kit, and black cherries and frozen raspberries and I have never used more than 2kg of fruit - simply because of cost.

I reckon that is an excellent amount of fruit.

I would leave for a minimum of 7 days in secondary. Also be wary of tap clog... I had a nightmare once with the fruit getting stuck in my tap. Should have used a hop sock/stocking for the fruit.

g'day, I really like cherry so i thought i would have a stab in the dark and try to make one myself, after all half the fun of homebrewing is experimenting with different recipies. Your fruit beer sounds good, i might try to do a raspberry wheat beer when the fruit is in season, i will let you know how it goes, cheers! :beer:

Latest posts

Back