Coopers Nd Malt Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntCoop

Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know by chance what EBC Coopers ND malt may be?

Its says on the Coopers site that it is a medium amber so most likely between light and amber malts.

I can get some of this through where I work as I use 300kg drums of the stuff every week, and am planning to do a few extract brews instead of buying cans of hopped extract as in kits and branch into my own hopping schedule.

The excel sheet that ianh put on the site is great so i would like to get the EBC as above if possible.

Cheers Coops :icon_cheers:

can't answer, sorry...but, shoot an email through or call coopers.....they are usually pretty frank and open with their answers.

From the Coopers website....

Dark
Dark Malt Extract is produced by mashing finely ground malted barley with water at a temperature not exceeding 75C. Then the resulting liquid is filtered and reduced through evaporation under partial vacuum until it is the consistency of thick honey. The grist comprises a proportion of roasted malted barley as constituent of the mash in order to produce a malt extract with a dark colour.

Standard ND
Malt Extract is produced by mashing finely ground malted barley with water at a temperature not exceeding 75C, then filtering and evaporating the resulting liquid under partial vacuum until it is the consistency of thick honey. The grist comprises a high proportion of malted barley as constituent of the mash in order to produce a malt extract with a medium amber colour.

Light
Light Malt Extract is produced by mashing finely ground malted and unmalted barley with water at a temperature not exceeding 75C, then filtering and evaporating the resulting liquid under partial vacuum until it is the consistency of thick honey. The grist comprises a proportion of unmalted barley as constituent of the mash in order to produce a malt extract with a light amber colour.

Wheat
Wheat Malt Extract is produced by mashing finely ground malted barley and wheat with water at a temperature not exceeding 75C, then filtering and evaporating the resulting liquid under partial vacuum until it is the consistency of thick honey. The Grist comprises a high proportion of malted wheat as constituent of the mash in order to produce a malt extract with a medium light amber colour.

Amber
Amber Malt Extract is produced by mashing finely ground malted barley and crystal malt with water at a temperature not exceeding 75C, then filtering and evaporating the resulting liquid under partial vacuum until it is the consistency of thick honey. The grist comprises a proportion of crystal malt as constituent of the mash in order to produce a malt extract with an amber colour.

Cheers Coops

Now I see.

I agree that it presumably sits between light and amber.

The Coopers Homebrew site gives colour details of the actual kits.

Pale Ale rates at 90EBC. It'd be around that.

Where do you work ? any chance one of these 300kg drums could go missing ?

Coopers only make the 5 Non Diastatic malt extracts.
The ND just means that there is no enzyme activity left in the malt.

If the drums are labelled as Amber, the malt should add 7.6 EBC for each 1 Kg, diluted to 23L in water, thats assuming its fresh, which if you go through 400 Kg a week it should be.

So 3 Kg in 23L would give you 22.8 EBC.
Just remember that malt can darken fairly quickly if exposed to light air and heat.

Hope that helps

MHB

I cant believe noone has asked what you use 300kg of malt extract a week for?

I cant believe noone has asked what you use 300kg of malt extract a week for?

Coopers supply malt extract to the food industry, so he could be making biscuits, cakes etc.

Yeah I work in the food industry.

The malt used is code 701 , also labeled ND malt, 300kg drums but nothing written amber or about colour.

The malts are very fresh usually used no more then a month or 2 after being delivered. Most likely fresher than the stuff bought in shops.

Cheers Coops

Back