Coopers Microbrew Fermenter O-ring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchyP

Reaction score
My Coopers microbrew kit is around 15 years old and I believe the original o-ring may be well past it's use-by-date.

Where may I be able to purchase a replacement one? Are the ones stocked in Brewcraft the same size? Any ideas where I could get one from?

I'm currently living in Ceduna (remote SA) and would like to be able to ask someone in Adelaide to send me one in the post, or does anyone know where to get one online?

I rang the Coopers General Store but the chap on the other end said that all their microbrew stuff was now online however there's no replacement o-rings on their website that I could see.

Help please...

I have two old coopers fvs. One is like a large bucket and has no o ring on the lid, the other is more squat and barrel-like and DOES have a lid with an o-ring....the lid from the latter is compatible with all my other LHBS-bought fvs. If your lid is the same, then almost any LHBS should have an o-ring for your lid if you ring around....just phone one in Adelaide if that is your perference and they'll help you out.

As per above I use cling wrap for primary, but when racking or cc-ing I use a lid and an airlock.

Good luck. :icon_cheers:

They should be all the same size so any HB shop should sell them - any of the site-sponsors (see the top of the page) will sell them, and deliver to you.

However, ditch the o-ring, and the lid and use cling-wrap instead, many people find that easier and better. :)

Just use glad wrap it does the same thing to keep the baddies out ;)

Thanks for the info guys.

I reckon I'll go with the glad wrap in the end.

BTW, what does the difference make between glad wrap and a proper lid make when crash chilling? Was just going to get a quick ale getting to tide me over but first wanted to crash chill it with finings before bottling.

BTW, what does the difference make between glad wrap and a proper lid make when crash chilling? Was just going to get a quick ale getting to tide me over but first wanted to crash chill it with finings before bottling.
No difference, just make sure you don't puncture or rip the cling-wrap and you will be fine.

+1

Glad wrap is much easier and I use the old o-ring to secure it, lets the gasses out slowly but nothing in and you can see whats going on much easier.

I use it for all, primary, secondry & crashing before the rack into keg. Ditched the lid & airlock years ago.

Happy Brewing :D

If you are using an old fridge that is prone to drips (especially a bar fridge where the top cooling element has been bent down inside the back of the fridge - a favourite modification that you often find with second hand brew fridges) be careful you don't get a pool of condensed water building up in the centre of the glad wrap. My old converted motel type fridge that I use for primary is prone to do that, so I cover the top with a handi-pail lid as a "hat"

If you are using an old fridge that is prone to drips (especially a bar fridge where the top cooling element has been bent down inside the back of the fridge - a favourite modification that you often find with second hand brew fridges) be careful you don't get a pool of condensed water building up in the centre of the glad wrap. My old converted motel type fridge that I use for primary is prone to do that, so I cover the top with a handi-pail lid as a "hat"
I often get water on the top of my gladwrap, not lots, but certainly loose water.
I've never have problems with keeping this water out of the fermenter when bottling or kegging.
However, it makes me wonder how the people who poke a hole in their gladwrap content with this.

You know you could always spend the money and get a new fermenter, that way you have a spare as well, and its new and clean and all that.

Beers Mick

I bought a brand new one last year and did one brew but had to hang up the brewing paddle on account of getting married and career change.

I didn't want to use the old one as I was unsure of using the glad wrap method.

I did about ten brews in the last few years but stopped for a bit. Now that I'm stranded in Ceduna I need to kick-start my brewing hobby to keep me occupied (if you've ever been to Ceduna you'll know what I mean).

So yeah, good to have 2 fermenters going (another side effect of Ceduna is the lack of quality craft beers).

Latest posts

Back