broken o ring on gas in on keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinjuku

Reaction score
transferred a batch of beer into one of my kegs I have here, one of them gas in o ring around the post has broken and when the gas is connected it leaks out the sides of the post.....

would it be possible to replace this with a post from another keg I have thats good easy enough.... would the missing o ring / broken o ring on the post cause it to leak like this ?

I can replace the post if thats possible straight away, otherwise will have to wait a week to get an online order in :(

any help much appreciated.. cheeers

i guess things are hard now because its full of beer.... would it be best to rack it from this keg that is leaking gas with the broken o ring to one that is ok for now ? or can i just unscrew the post, pop in a good one and then gas it ?

Yes, it would cause a leak

Take an oring from another keg, or the liquid out post, then buy a 5 pack or so from a sponsor/lhbs

gonna sound like a silly question but how would i remove the o ring from another post? they seem pretty tight on there

Squeeze with thumb and index finger at the half way point. AKA the the middle of the o-ring and push forward. This will move the o-ring and give a small gap at the end your pushing towards.

Then you can then roll off the O-ring with the other hand. If this won't work use something point and insert in the gap you've made between the post and o-ring and leaver it off.

I have an o-ring pick as a mechanic but I suspect a toothpick or even one edge of a fork would suffice.

OK that worked , phew!

thats all it was a broken gas in post o ring.... replaced it with one from another keg and now perfect!

thanks guys :)

just force carbed it... give it an hour ill see how it tastes... pretty easy I think for first go kegging something

DU99 said:
don't forget to get some replacements
just ordered some from this sites sponsor... ill replace all of them with new ones.. is it worth getting the keg lube also ? when i force carbed i had a hard time getting the disconnect off the liquid post a bit

Will help prolong the O-rings and goes a long way.

One of my favourite seal picks is a short piece of brass filler rod flattened out at the ends with a hammer into an oar shape. Cleaned up with wet and dry it makes an awesome tool for small seals and o rings and won't scratch most metals.

Sorry for OT ramblings.

Yep- get lube. If in doubt slap some lube on it- it is the answer to all of life's important issues. Seriously it is $5 well spent.

Back