Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thunderlips said:
I've never used that much malt before so I'm wondering, will the measly 7gms of yeast that you get in the packet be able to get through that much malt or is it going to be heavy on the sweet side?
[post="117525"][/post]​

7 grams of yeast is never enough. Unless you are doing around 12 litre batches. There is plenty of information on the 'net about yeast pitching rates (measures in millions or billions of cells per millilitre of wort) and universally, that info will ilndicate that 7g of dry yeast is not enough.

The yeast will, however, multiply and then consume all the malt, unless they get killed. And to kill them you have to do something pretty stupid like overheat them or kill them with alcohol poisoning. 1.5kg of malt and a kit is a long way from being enough for the alcohol to get them. The problem with having not enough yeast is that you are less likely to get a good fg and possibly not the same flavour (you can aerate well at the start of the brew, for up to 24 hours, which will get the maximum yeast cell multiplication and will help both of the above)

dreamboat

Brewing the Coopers Cerveza at the moment, 3 days in. From what's been said sounds like it should be ok, my girlfriend only likes clear beer, not partial to the heavy lager's etc....

Google is sometimes surprisingly good at finding what your after, all I typed was "Coopers Cerveza what's it like" and found this forum.

Anyway Piste said something about

"I do like Negra Modelo, a bit like an Old Ale, black and smooth and Mexican"

When my girlfriend and I were in Mexico we went to a pretty typical Mexican pub (drunk locals, a few dogs running around, dirty food stand in the corner) in Ensenada and we were drinking Sol all night (which is similar to Corona but better flavour I think). The bartender asked if I wanted to try a Modelo as more of the locals drink this.

I asked him about Corona and he said that the locals don't usually drink it cause it's a little more expensive that the other beers like Tecate, or XX. Both these I tried aswell and they taste like shit but were cheap, so you can't complain. Also, somebody said the Corona in Mexico tastes different to the Corona you get here. Maybe it changes due to climate or something when they import it, but I couldn't tell any difference. Only difference really is over there you pay $18 for a case (12 longnecks).

DrewCarey82 said:
So is it worth brewing or not and what do people recommend with it?

With a coopers brew enhancer 2 will it be similar @ all to corona?
[post="111512"][/post]​

If you wanted something similar to corona I would be using the Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 rather then the 2 as it will give a ligher body. No hops needed at all and ferment with a lager yeast if possible.

16 IBU is a little high for a corona (I think) I would have though around the 12 mark would have been closer but then again it should come out a super simple, easy drinking brew if that's what your after.

Now looks like the ideal time to get one of these down.

From experience do people know if this comes with a lager yeast?

Cheers.

Damn Saf-lager would do the trick wouldnt it?

As where I am brewing is way to cold for ale yeasts around 16 degrees.

K-97 will easily handle 16 degrees, just make sure you rehydrate it before pitching

PZ.

yeah Drew - do it with a lager yeast for sure! Saflager, S189.
Cheers
Steve

Damn Saf-lager would do the trick wouldnt it?

As where I am brewing is way to cold for ale yeasts around 16 degrees.

I reckon the ale yeast that comes with it would work fine. If anything will ferment as clean as possible at that temp so would suit the style pretty well. FWIW I have an ale fermenting at 17C now, so there's no worries about the yeast working.

My thermometre stick on thingy generally hangs around the 14-16 degree mark do you guys reckon that the mexicon cervaza yeast would do the trick?

With most of my beers I normally chuck in an extra brewiser yeast to help chew through it as well, so maybe this would help having 14g of yeast rather then the miserly 7?

Cheers.

My thermometre stick on thingy generally hangs around the 14-16 degree mark do you guys reckon that the mexicon cervaza yeast would do the trick?

With most of my beers I normally chuck in an extra brewiser yeast to help chew through it as well, so maybe this would help having 14g of yeast rather then the miserly 7?

Cheers.

I would give it a try. You can use an extra yeast if you think the original won't be enough.

DC, you can always add a couple of degrees of warmth to a fermenter by placing a juice bottle filled with hot tap water beside the fermenter and optionally wrapping it in a blanket. Once fermentation kicks off, it should hold the temp, but if not, just refill the bottle as needed. I also keep some frozen juice bottles in the freezer in case I need to knock a few degrees off the temp.

If it were me, I'd use a lager yeast and an ice bottle, which is going to be my strategy for my once-a-year doppelbock.

Put down my Coopers Mexican Cervaza - 19.5 litres(I must have been blind swear it was 21 litres!) and CBE2, happily bubbling away....

Tossing up wether or not to chuck in any lemon juice in secondary.....

Last night noticed that I am down to about 40 drinkable long necks! - 60 conditioning for about 2 weeks. And my mexican in primary and putting on a coopers bavarian lager tonight.....

Dire Straights in Drews brewery.

Put down my Coopers Mexican Cervaza - 19.5 litres(I must have been blind swear it was 21 litres!) and CBE2, happily bubbling away....

Tossing up wether or not to chuck in any lemon juice in secondary.....

Last night noticed that I am down to about 40 drinkable long necks! - 60 conditioning for about 2 weeks. And my mexican in primary and putting on a coopers bavarian lager tonight.....

Dire Straights in Drews brewery.
You poor bugger, I'm down to nil with two waiting to be bottled.
One of them is the Cervesa again, I did it this time with SafLager and 250g DLME I had laying around and the CBE2.
Thought about adding lemon juice to secondary, how much would you put in and what would the effect be??
Or is it that classic Mex cooking phrase 'anything goes' (because he has forgotten it in Mex, No Hay Fajita or something like that)

A am just about to put my MC into the fermenter. Having read this thread a little while ago I thought I'd give it a go.

I'm using the Coopers MC can Coopers Brew Booster 2 with an extra 500g of dex. 12g of goldings boiled for 35 min just for the xtra dex and for the hell of it. 12g of s33 and will ferment at 18deg.

Fingers crossed

daniel

Have bottled mine a week ago.

Even now after 1 weeks conditioning it looks crystal clear..... How long have people who have done this waited before tasting and when did you think it was good to drink.

In regards to the lemon..... Good question didnt really consider.

Maybe squeeze about 10 or so and bring to boil and doink it in?

Thought it's about time I added my 2 cents.

I brewed up the Cerveza with CBE2 a few months ago - my favourite drop so far. I probably started drinking them about 3 weeks after bottling, and 3 months down the track they are all gone. (No patience). It was reasonably clear at this time - surely racking and more patience would result in a clearer beer.

I boiled 2 limes and 2 chillis and threw them in at the start of fermentation, which added some nice flavour. 2 chillis over 60 bottles turned out pretty mild (which is not a bad thing) - i'd probably would have upped it to 4 or 5 next time.

Also - i threw a single chili per bottle into about 10 bottles for priming just to test. FYI unbearably hot - but I will bring them out at the odd social occasion to separate the men from the mice! Or use them for cooking.

Now that winter has hit in Canberra though I'm going to have to try my first saflager yeast...

Did you add just the lime juice?

Or the pulp as well.

Did it come close to the original corona?

Cheers.

Did you add just the lime juice?

Or the pulp as well.

Did it come close to the original corona?

Cheers.

The whole thing. It was pretty soft after boiling it so I figured the juices would get out. Don't know what effect the pulp has - but i guess it didn't hurt. More time and effort I'd probably throw just the juice in..

Been a while since I had one - but i'd say it came out with more flavour and a bit more body than a Corona- but this is without racking etc. (I wasn't really going for a clone anyway).

Ah okay.

That sounds like a decent recipe you should throw it in the best kit and kilo recipes thread :)

Back