Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont mind admitting that I quite like the taste of Corona since the old girl put me on to it about 12 months ago at a wedding in Armadale. It was 40 degrees that day and I wouldve been partial to anything in liquid form.

In Mexico, Corona is considered by locals to be a very ordinary beer so Im lead to believe, and in much the same league as Fosters lager is here in Australia. Because of clever marketing by both companies the brands have succeeded in other countries quite well... I suppose if the locals dont like it then send it somewhere else where they might. When I think of a Corona beer with a piece of lemon or lime poked in the neck of a bottle, I cant help but think back to the days when West Coast coolers were all the go with the younger ladies. (Those were the days).

Im not sure whether Mexicans drink Corona with a piece of lemon or lime, but it sure does make an improvement to that particular beer. Perhaps Fosters should market their beer with a lemon and lime and see whether it is successful or not in Australia.

Because Corona is so expensive to buy, we decided to put down 46 litres of Coopers Mexican Cerveza. I went along with the kit instructions without changing a thing. We had our first taste of it last weekend after it had been sitting in the kegs for just over 4 weeks and were quite disappointed, so weve decided to let it sit for another month or so.

Our first attempt at matching a Corona style beer was using the Coopers Canadian Blond kit, which we quite like including our guests.

I will give the Mexican Cerveza another month to mature and if it fails meet up with our expectations then well go back to Coopers Canadian Blond, which by the way taste good when its only a month old and gets lighter in colour in no time at all.

Boagesmalone,
Hope your attempt improves with more conditioning; I can tell you that in Mexico they do drink Corona and other similar beers such as Sol, with lime. The reason it's served with lime is to keep the flys away, SERIOUSLY.

I put down one of these kits mainly for friends that come over, but made with the kit, 700g LME, 500 dextrose and 12g of cascade hops for the citrus taste. I fermented with Saflager W34/70 cold fermentation have racked and now kegged, it's conditioning as we speak. FG was 1008. I've only tasted the hydro test specimen and I think that it will be a quite good for a simple quaffer, it is crisp and light.

AC

I do like Negro Modella, a bit like an Old Ale, black and smooth and Mexican.

Have been told the Corona Extra we get over here is not a patch on the Mexican version which apparently has a fair bit more flavour.
To my mind FG's of 1012-1014 are not real bad. Nicer if it goes lower, especially in this beer given that it doens't have any sort of sweet taste.
Best option is to bottle and sit for a while, in all likely hood it will end up just a bit gassier.

My 2c worth anyway.

Well, just kegged mine. Had a second fermentor ready to rack it, but as I poured a beer to cool myself off after the preperation, the keg ran dry. :eek:

That's right folks - no beer, with a weekend approaching :excl: . Did the maths (Wed night, 48 hours of carbonation required....) and kegged the biatch.

Left it tilted back for 30mins before I siphoned it into the keg, and it looked pretty clean.

FG was 1015, OG was 1044, 8 days about 25 deg average - work that one out?

Will let you know on Friday night...

Cheers - Mike

She be sweet :chug:

Yep, having had a few now. Pretty tasteless to be honest, nice quaffing beer (ie.. real cold), with a very sweet aftertaste.

Actually, come to think of it, if my FG was 1015, there was probably un-used sugar, hense the sweetness (does that make sense?).

Having to carbonate a bit as it's a flat one. Would I make again? Maybe, if the right people wanted it, in the middle of summer.

Cheers - Mike

Hey All,

Well i'm new to all this but made this Coopers kit with the suggested brew enhancer 2 and like MVZOOM said, the beer turned out a bit bland. At the same time though quite a nice beer to chug down and the GF doesn't mind it either (she's half the shareholders in our kit).

Nice clean drinkable beer and well worth the boost of a lemon or lime wedge.

Kai said:
Ferment it as cool as you can, or as the tin recommends. Probably 20C would be a good target.

If you want some extra hops, find some Glacier. They have a wonderful lemon flavour/aroma that would complement a Corona clone nicely.
[post="96985"][/post]​

Kai,
I have noticed with interest that these hops are available from Ross's new venture.

Hence, can you give a hint as to how much to use, and how to apply? I'm assumung that you would dry hop with them, but how many?

Keen to give them a lash.

M

Checked mine last night, I didn't rack the brew :( and there is a heap of sediment.
Cracked one and gave it a burst, bit bland and gassy with an almost sweet aftertaste.
I may try another one but it needs something to give it a 'something', not sure what but I will follow the posts.
Didn't measure the OG but the FG was about 1010 after a week or so, it was fairly warm so it probably fermented at about 25c.
I prefer my dark ales but for a BBQ quaffer on a warm day this one has potential.

Too my tastebuds at least, I'd say the "shop" corona is fairly bland and tasteless...:Flame suit on: and pullling asbestos jocks up over flame suit
:-D

But remember that it is a 'trendy' beer (Corona), just as (God forbid) Fosters is in the good ole US of A.
Dare I say it but I have seen it portrayed as a Boutique Beer in America (Fosters).
I agree with you, but it's good for the bludgers who attend the BBQ and don't appreciate a 'good' beer, also good after a workout with my horses, as long as it's wet and cold I really don't care, later on it's a different matter.

Invited my neighbour over for a 'Corona' last night, he drank the whole glass and seemed to enjoy it, so all good.

Cheers - mike

mika_lika said:
Too my tastebuds at least, I'd say the "shop" corona is fairly bland and tasteless...:Flame suit on: and pullling asbestos jocks up over flame suit
:-D
[post="116062"][/post]​

LOL! I always love how everyone bags corona (not least of all because of the types of people who drink it I'd suggest). On occasion i hve enjoyed the stuff - there is a little citrus thing happening that is unique (often ter4med the cats piss taste I suspect - but i am inexperienced in that dept.).

What is interesting is that I dont brew lagers or pilseners, because i think they have littl taste or charachter (to me), but i wouldnt go round telling anyone who drinks lagers that the beer is bad. Similarly, hops are a preservative, and originally added to beers simply to preserve them - not a flavour addition, not desireable - so 'hopheads' have a taste for preservative! not a taste for beer.

flame suit who needs em!

Quote: so 'hopheads' have a taste for preservative! not a taste for beer. end Quote:

That's so funny :D :D Flame suite on? :blink:

_cid_EADF19F2_F7E0_4DCD_BDDE_0BC713A24AC1_local.gif

I made this one in January and it goes down pretty nicely :beer: with or without a wedge of lime!

I made a quick and easy kit and bits with this, and have had it in the keg for a week or so now after only a short lagering period.
I did a boil with around 5 litres of water, 500g of LDME and 8g of czech saaz pellets. Only boiled it for 15 mins as I did not want to add too much bitterness to the brew. I used saf 34/70 and fermented at around 10C.

Beer is pretty good. Still a hint of extract taste, but only a little... and for the effort which I put into it, it was a good result.

dreamboat

I did something somewhat similar, but not so similar and with more of everything :D

1.5kg LDME, 100g Magnum pellets (13.9AA) and used the supplied yeast.

Currently fermenting at 20C.

It'll turn out nothing like a Corona, but is just something I wanted to try...so why not? :party:

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B said:
1.5kg LDME
[post="117520"][/post]​
I've never used that much malt before so I'm wondering, will the measly 7gms of yeast that you get in the packet be able to get through that much malt or is it going to be heavy on the sweet side?

As it turns out, the beer I'm sipping right now was made from:
2x Cooper's Real Ale cans,
1kg LDME,
Recultured Cooper's Australian Pale Ale bottle yeast.

Quite strong in the flavour and alcohol departments, but not overly sweet, so I expect the other to be fine :chug:

PZ.

Back