Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers guys, I'll keep it relatively simple

Coopers Cerveza
1kg Saunders LME
500g Rice Malt Syrup
100g Carahell (steep)
15g Saaz @ 60min
15g Saaz @ 5min
US-05

Depending on my CBA factor I might even drop the grain & boil.
Pete

Doing this Tomorrow.

I tin CMC
500g Amber DME
500g Wheat Malt
250g Dex, just to beef the %

15g Amarillo @ 20min
10g Cascade @ 5min

edit: US05

Will be sitting in the fridge for 3 weeks while I'm in Germany.

Probably taste like piss after comming back from there...

Brewed up last night

Possum Trap Cerveza
Coopers Cerveza
1kg Saunders LME
500g Rice Malt Syrup
120g Carahell (steep)
10g Saaz @ 60min
10g Saaz @ 10min
US-05

Easily named as I spent the night awake due to a f###ing possum tearing stuff up in the ceiling.
The little prick was even staring at me from the top of the skylight.
Pete

Let us know how it comes out Pete, looks like a great session drop.

I recently did a kit one of these.

Japanese Blonde LME 500ml
Mexican Cerveza LME 1.7kg (1tin)
Saflager S-23 (Dry Lager Yeast) 1pack
Brewcraft Brewbooster #15

OG 1049
FG 1011

It came out pretty close, its not quite as pale but the taste is nearly spot on. It's spent 2 weeks in the fermenter at about an average 12-13c (as low as I could keep it short of using a fridge). Debating whether to bottle or keg it..

Maybe that's the issue I've got with my Mexican Cerveza. I used a ale yeast and it's way too fruity. It overwhelms the lemon taste really easy.

Cheers guys, I'll keep it relatively simple

Coopers Cerveza
1kg Saunders LME
500g Rice Malt Syrup
100g Carahell (steep)
15g Saaz @ 60min
15g Saaz @ 5min
US-05

Depending on my CBA factor I might even drop the grain & boil.
Pete

My grain version also uses the Rice Malt syrup ( I get the Maltose Chinese brand from a Chinese supermarket) and US-05, plus 20g of Chinook or any other US style hop boiled for 90 minutes and it hits the spot with Corona Drinkers. US-05 fermented cool, i.e. around 16, takes a bit longer but makes a good fake lager.

:icon_offtopic:
Sorta off topic. Has anyone actually TASTED a bottle of Corona at all? I was at a brew day last week and a couple of the attendees weren't home brewers and brought some bottleshop beer along to be polite, one of them brought a six pack of Corona and handed them round after we had been drinking everything from Robust Porters, Toucan 9% Stout, Classic Aus Lager made on Galaxy, hoppy APAs etc. Politely we quaffed the brews and you know what, the first couple of swigs cleared the palate then we agreed (Gravity Guru, Winkle and myself) that the beer had a bit of malt character and we could detect a pleasant background hop bitterness. Very surprising indeed, the little bugger was holding up quite well, almost went looking for a second bottle :p

I'm doing a Cerveza this week - got some US-05 on Saturday - and as an experiment I'm going to do an all Green Bullet variety, might end up chasing sheep with a lime slice in my hand :ph34r:

Yer some of the kits come with an ale yeast instead during the hotter months.

A quick google turned up this.

Understanding the Difference - Ale VS Lager

Understanding Lagers VS Ales

Hugh Sissons Diary of a Brewer

I am often asked (especially when I am doing our public brewery tours) about the difference between ales and lagers and beers. I hear discussions of top fermenting yeast (ales theoretically) versus bottom fermenting yeast (lagers, so they say), and even if where the yeast does its work were consistently true (it is not in all cases), it does absolutely nothing to explain the flavor differences between the two major types of beer. Consequently, in my opinion, top versus bottom is completely useless! More edifying is to discuss flavor differences in ales versus lagers.

Beer is the overall generic term for fermented malt beverages whether it is an ale or a lager, it is still called beer! There are ONLY two kinds of beer ales and lagers. Within those two broad categories there are many styles. Major ales styles are pale ale, IPA, porter, stout, and barleywine, just to name a few. Among the major lager styles are pilsner, Mrzen, bock, and dunkles (dark lager).

What really differentiates an ale from a lager is the temperature of fermentation. Ales ferment typically between 64 and 70 degrees F, and lagers ferment typically between 52 and 58 F. Fermentation is the process whereby yeast consumes the sugars from the malt, and in turn produces alcohol and carbon dioxide. All yeast strains, in addition to producing alcohol and CO2, also produce small amounts of other compounds which add subtle flavor complexity to the beer.

With warmer fermentation temperatures (ales), yeast will produce elevated ester compounds. These come across on the palette as a rounded fruitiness, and give ales their characteristic complexity. Typically, ale yeasts will not ferment at colder (lager) temperatures.

Colder fermentations obviously require a yeast that is genetically capable of fermenting at colder temperatures (as opposed to ale yeasts). The colder temperatures prevent these lager yeasts from producing the amount of esters which are so characteristic of ales. However, many popular lager yeasts do produce elevated sulfur compounds during fermentation. These sulfur compounds take extended cold storage (known as lagering) to be pleasantly integrated into the beer, but once accomplished, these compounds show on the palette as crispness and cleanness.

This is all a bit of an oversimplification, but it is helpful to understanding the basic differences between the two types of beer. Ales can be referred to as being fruity, rounded, and complex, and lagers can be referred to as being crisp, clean, and angular. A close sampling of normal strength (ie around 5% ABV) examples of each type will illustrate these concepts from a sensory perspective. So have a couple of beers you pick the type and see if you think I am right!

http://www.4syndication.com/clipper_city_b...ager/24467/v.do

Sorta off topic. Has anyone actually TASTED a bottle of Corona at all? I was at a brew day last week and a couple of the attendees weren't home brewers and brought some bottleshop beer along to be polite, one of them brought a six pack of Corona and handed them round after we had been drinking everything from Robust Porters, Toucan 9% Stout, Classic Aus Lager made on Galaxy, hoppy APAs etc. Politely we quaffed the brews and you know what, the first couple of swigs cleared the palate then we agreed (Gravity Guru, Winkle and myself) that the beer had a bit of malt character and we could detect a pleasant background hop bitterness. Very surprising indeed, the little bugger was holding up quite well, almost went looking for a second bottle :p

I quite like Corona but I know many that do not, "piss beer" comes to mind as the description by others. But its a nice light beer, great for a hot day with a wedge of lemon or lime.

Bribie, I haven't had a corona for a while now, due to too many other beers to drink.
But I've never had a bad one. Gotta have the lemon or lime, otherwise I just feel like something's missing.
If anyone turned up at my place with a six pack to share they're more than welcome to grab a lime from the tree on the way in! :icon_cheers:

Wow; this thread is an epic. This new Cooper's product has really got everyone going.

I suggest if you are really looking for an authentic Corona taste and you're a bottler (like me) you should use green or clear bottles and then leave them in direct sunlight for 30 minutes or so to impart that "skunky" imported characteristic you get with light-struck beers like Corona and Sol. I wouldn't do this with any other beer that isn't served with citrus though.

:D

stagga.

Hi all, well this is my first write up on a beer ive put down, whilst im still getting some gear ready to venture into partial and maybe allgrain i thought id try this coopers corona kit. I only just got a temp mate and what a world of difference it does for brewing so with this kit im trying a fair dinkum lager yeast (weihenstephan yeast to be exact).
I just used a brew enhancer kit no 1, some hal hops and some rice extract with it and also some dry enzyme. I made it on tuesday rehydrated the yeast at 23 degrees then pitched it and put it in the fridge at 17 degrees for 24 hours then lowered it to twelve. Well after a nervous wait i saw some activity :)
Go to love this tempmate and home brew experimenting and also keep this corona thread going as i can vouch when i was working in the tropics up north a corona and lime/lemon is the way to go. :lol:

Ducked out to the garage/brauhaus last sunday for a taste. THere it was happily bubbling away...... at about 30c. Argh. Couldn't be bothered moving it, thinking, the damage is done.
Problem is, the fermenter is sitting about 2m away from a North facing garage door. I'll be bringing my next brew in a bit closer. Good belgian temps though!

Made the 'Katie' style Chili and Kaffir Lime leaf Mex with 500gms Wheat DME + 300g Rye Caramel +300gms Raw Sugar + 15g Hallertau.
About 8 small red chilies and about 10 KL leaves chucked in with the yeast.

Only been in the bottle 10 days but had to have a quick taste.

Strange aroma of Kaffir Lime bit perfumed and tastes a bit perfumed. This I understand will become much less with some bottle time.

No sign of chili when you take a mouthful but the warmth kind of hits you 5 seconds later. Bit weird the nearest I could describe is the bite from Ginger Beer with a lasting warmth.

I blended half the bottle with a an Oettinger Pils which tames the perfumey flavour nicely.

Don't think I could quaff a lot of this so not a session beer but an interesting experiment nevertheless.

BTW I have never tasted a Commercial Chili Beer so had no idea what to expect :icon_cheers:

3 months in the bottle and this has turned out much better. The perfumed Kaffir lime upfront flavour has mellowed out. Much more drinkable now but not really suitable for drinking in large quantities. Just trying to find a good food match to go with it :icon_cheers:

3 months in the bottle and this has turned out much better. The perfumed Kaffir lime upfront flavour has mellowed out. Much more drinkable now but not really suitable for drinking in large quantities. Just trying to find a good food match to go with it :icon_cheers:

Geeez, 10 kaffir lime leaves!!

I added 4 or 5 to a black rock mex last year (500gms rice malt, 1kg dex, 20 gms saaz) and after 2 months in the keg, the lime still made my eyes water!!
Not bad though

Cracked open the first tallie tonight. Poured pretty flat and had that phenolic flavour to it. Damn it! :angry:
I think this flavour comes up to teach me to clean my gear properly.

Thankfully I picked up a lemon on the way home. A slice of that in the glass, and problem solved (almost). <_< :huh: :)

ps. Got a new lurker onboard lately. If he see's this, Gday Brenny, I've got your cerveza tallie in the fridge, hopefully it's better than mine!

I've just got onto brewing after sitting around for months umming and ahh-ing about it, and whacked this one on for my first time. threw out the instructions and just went off all the helpful bits and pieces i found on here, it's currently sitting in 28 PET bottles that came with the coopers micro-brew kit and hopefully won't taste horrid after another few weeks. I stuck with the kit and the recommended BE2, but added about 2 and a half grams of cascade hops just for the hell of it.
Will let you know how it goes if anyone's interested!

Back