Coopers Light German Bock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jivesucka

Reaction score
Coopers Light German Bock

ordered the tins of the heritage lager. gonna get the LDM tomorrow. i can't wait!!

anyone tried to make this one that works out to cost about $38 for ingredients?

I have not tried that one But i have done a Heritage lager with a heap of malt and 34/70 yeast......it was very nice

I normally use the Black rock "Bock" kit and both the above and the black rock will take about four months of conditioning to be a really nice drop....don't know about kegging i haven't done it

Let us know how it goes!

I know you've already ordered the kits but the IBU of the heritage lager is the same as the ibu of the normal coopers lager. I reckon use 2 tins of normal lager + malt as suggested in the recipe and hop it yourself for a cheaper, better option.

Good beer > cheap beer

Very true, but apart from the price, labelling and perhaps the hops (isohops?) is the heritage lager better than the coopers original lager. If you add hops yourself you have countered any hop difference, most likely improved it. Does it use a different malt extract? On the coopers website the colour and IBU are identical for both kits which could suggest that the malt is identical.

I admit that I use the Thos Coopers Sparkling ale as a base for golden ale but I have been wondering the need and contmeplating a change to something from the orginal series. After I add wheat extract, steep some crystal and 45g of Amarillo I wonder how much does the original kit contribute to the overall flavour profile.

Couldnt say, mate.
But its got to be worth a try.
All that extra sugar and malt is going to make for a nice big beer.
Though it is more a maibock or an hellesbock than a light bock.

it's a wifebeater! if i were married but i have a few of these and start verbally abusing people! i wake up the next day with no recollection of the verbal abuse.what the shit?

Hi Jivesucka,

Apart from the memory altering properties how did the beer turn out? :)

I saw the recipe myself and am tempted try it down the track

Lodan

Lodan, it is very heavy on the sediment. Packs a gold/off amber colour and is very ******* strong.

Thanks mate, sounds alright. Will have to keep this drop in mind!

Lodan, it is very heavy on the sediment. Packs a gold/off amber colour and is very ******* strong.

A big lager like this might benefit from some more time in the fermenter to clear etc. Seems like its only been 2.5 weeks since you posted about ordering the ingredients. More time in the bottle might also help the yeast settle.

it's a wifebeater! if i were married but i have a few of these and start verbally abusing people! i wake up the next day with no recollection of the verbal abuse.what the shit?
Have you considered that should not be a homebrewer if you do bad stuff like that???

Certainly not a consumer of the strong beer.

...think about it, rather than giving all homebrewers a bad name.

That will cost you 2 cents, thanks...

P.S. what is a light bock? a pale bock, perhaps? Light/low alcohol is not compatible with the term "bock"

ordered the tins of the heritage lager. gonna get the LDM tomorrow. i can't wait!!

anyone tried to make this one that works out to cost about $38 for ingredients?

Yes. Twice. VERY noice!!
drool.gif

2canheritagelager.jpg

is the heritage lager better than the coopers original lager.

You'd hope so because the original lager is hideous. I understand the Heritage lager has a pretty good name.

I admit that I use the Thos Coopers Sparkling ale as a base for golden ale but I have been wondering the need and contmeplating a change to something from the orginal series. After I add wheat extract, steep some crystal and 45g of Amarillo I wonder how much does the original kit contribute to the overall flavour profile.

I love late Amarillo additions. I put down the kit version from the notes in DrSmurto's recipe in the DB and ended up giving most of it away. So, yeah, I'd say the tin does make a difference. A big one.

Back