Coopers Ldm - Product Recall?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acoggins

Reaction score
My wife just tried to buy me some Coopers LDM. Nothing available at Coles, so she went to KMart and found some. When she got to the checkout they told her they couldn't sell it to her, as it had just been recalled.... it should have been taken off the shelf.

Anyone have any info on this?

had a quick look at coopers website and didn't see anything either

^^^ LOL

But seriously, maybe Kmart's stock went out of date?

But seriously, maybe Kmart's stock went out of date?

Maybe... if the electronic scanners are now also checking the use-by-date as well as the price.

Anyway, it's a pain. I was all set to make up the new English bitter.

that explains why i could not find any anywhere! had to reduce the size of my brew due to that! :angry:

Quick, anybody know a good web hosting company?

I'm gonna register that one, then wait for the dollars to start rolling in from all the prospective brewer's wanting to buy me out of my naming rights.

:)

WB

that explains why i could not find any anywhere! had to reduce the size of my brew due to that! :angry:

That's OK for you.. I can't make any beer at all! I'm suffering from brewus interruptus and it's very painful.

That's OK for you.. I can't make any beer at all! I'm suffering from brewus interruptus and it's very painful.

Woolies: jams/honey section. "saunders" liquid malt extract 1kg tin. 9-10 dollars. Fine in my dark ales...

LHBS will be far cheaper that the coopers ldme - I only buy the occassional kit from the supermarket all the rest comes from the lhbs as they are cheaper.

LHBS will be far cheaper that the coopers ldme - I only buy the occassional kit from the supermarket all the rest comes from the lhbs as they are cheaper.

But how does the LHBS stuff compare to Coopers? Coopers is very fine powder, the consistency of flour. Both HBS I been too in melbourne get big 25kg (or bigger bags) from Switzerland from what i can read on the bag, and re-package. This is somewhat darker than coopers and has a more crystalline texture - that said, this is not necessarily an indication of quality. The big test is, has anyone tested fermentability of the DME, and check that there are no simple sugars in there.

My LHBS sells 1kg packs of LDME for $13.60, Coopers LDME 500g packs from kmart are $5.80, Craftbrewer do 1kg packs for $7.90, but by the time you add in postage costs kmart probably comes out on top.

I bought a 20kg bag of LDME which works out at $6 per kg. Great investment as I normally use about 3kg in each brew.

I bought a 20kg bag of LDME which works out at $6 per kg. Great investment as I normally use about 3kg in each brew.
Muntons is by far the best LDME. I have used Coopers, Muntons and Bintani, and it's worth a little bit extra.

Coles is cheaper for dextrose than my regular brewstore unless I buy 10kg, then it comes in even.

Back