Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale Pack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takasonfletcher

Reaction score
Hi team,

So I got the kit in the mail and went about putting all together as per instructions ended up with an OG of 1070 managed to get the temp down to 18 before pitching the rehydrated BRY -97, put her in the laundry sink with some water at the same temp to try limit temp fluctuation as much as possible, then I went to Fiji for a week, my original plan was to let it ferment for about 2 weeks as I usually do, its been about 10 days and there is still a thick layer of Krausen almost 1 cm so Im assuming its still fermenting will probably leave it for another week then dry hop for another week once the Krausen has dissipated i havent taken a readin yet bcause im going to be patient with this and dont want to open unessesarily. Does this sound about right, anyone had a slow ferment using this Yeast, I used the Nottingham yeast with my last brew which was a Toucan with 1kg of DME and OG of 1065 and it was ferocious still gave her 2 weeks to clean herself up but the Krausen was gone after 4-5 days.

Any tips from anyone else who has put this brew down or anything similar? I had a taste after getting my OG reading and I am very excited about the potential, its my first time using specialty grains so .

Look forward to any tips!!

Cheers

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale
1.7kg Real Ale
300g Crystal Malt grains
1kg Dextrose
25g Centennial hop pellets @ 20mins with the Liquid from the Crystal Malt
25g Citra hop pellets (Will Dry Hop)
25g Chinook hop pellets Will Dry Hop)
11g BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast

Chuuurrr

I am thinking about doing this one next but got the Saison kit the Vintage kit was sold out at Coopers. I would not worry too much 10 days is not excessive with the amounts of fermentables in the mix. I presume you made up to 21L as per the recipe. Giving it another week before dry hopping sounds like a good idea. No need to rush a good thing.

No need to take the lid off to take a hydrometer reading just grab a sample from the tap. You may have to chuck the first bit as it will probably mostly yeast. Don't forget to sanitise the tap outlet afterwards to stop it going manky.

I just had a taste of this after almost a month in the bottle..................... ABSOLUTELY BLOODDY F*CKIN MAGNIFICENT!

Takasonfletcher said:
I just had a taste of this after almost a month in the bottle..................... ABSOLUTELY BLOODDY F*CKIN MAGNIFICENT!
I was eyeing this earlier. with feedback like that i'm going to have to give it a crack. Now in my rather lengthy to brew list.

Mate I've put 14 tallies away in my in laws cellar with the view that if i cant see it i wont drink it for a couple of months longer, very tempted to just make another one straight away but a more session able beer perhaps at 23 litres instead of 21, my brother in law refuses to believe that I made that beer. Get in there!!

Mate I've put 14 tallies away in my in laws cellar with the view that if i cant see it i wont drink it for a couple of months longer, very tempted to just make another one straight away but a more session able beer perhaps at 23 litres instead of 21, my brother in law refuses to believe that I made that beer. Get in there!!
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1384336882.843868.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Huh? Is that a pic of the Extra Strong Vintage Ale? How'd it get that colour from a couple of pale ale kit cans, a kilo of dex and 300gm of crystal? Was the crystal Carafa I perhaps?

Thats supposed to be 300g dark crystal. Either way i do plan o n making that pack.

Just enjoyed a couple of the commercial versions last night and really enjoyed them. It looks like the Recipe of the month packs are very popular they sell out quickly.

I might have a go at this one too. Will have to follow the website recipe and order the bits from one of the site sponsors.

Yeah i was surpised it came out so dark, but it tastes sooooooo good it was my 3rd brew so Im not sure exactly what grains from memory it was Crystal and that's all i know for now.

Would love to see some pics of anyone elses

Bit weird that the recipe on the Coopers site doesn't mention any crystal, let alone dark crystal. Is the commercial version of this dark?

I remember the commercial version pours a dark amber. But I'm not opposed to a bit of colour.

Wasn't so keen on the commercial version, me an a mate tried a bottle each and weren;t thrilled. The rest went to fridge camp for an extended stay for later testing.

the commercial version isnt as dark as the photo above. it could just be the light in the pic.

Latest posts

Back